PDA

View Full Version : U16 Hovercraft Club for Northamptonshire

dsracing
20-Nov-10, 06:32 PM
I am in the process of setting up a 11 to 16 years old hovercraft club in Northamptonshire, probably around Towcester. I have had some success with grant applications and am now looking to setup a steering group for the club. As I have never raced a hovercraft it would be great to get someone involves who has that experience and can advice me about hovercrafts and racing issues. If you are willing to help I would like to hear from you. You do not need to be local to Northamptonshire, just willing to guide me by email or phone. If you would like to know more feel free to ask me any questions.
Thanks
Darren

Brian G. Reynolds
20-Nov-10, 10:04 PM
Hi Darren, first thing, there is no such word as hovercrafts, the plural for hovercraft is still hovercraft.

That said, welcome and the very best of luck.

I was living in Rushden up until a few years back, now residing in Sheffield.

I can not think of anyone local to you but if you can make it up to the Leicester area to "Jakes Place" or as it is now known "High Point Hovercraft" (that does not quite look right!, Chris!) and speak to Chris, as in "Chris and the Boys" he is full of good stuff and on Blue Peter on Monday.

You also might like to make contact with the guys from Bearwood College, one of the few colleges still playing with hovercraft.

Sorry I do not know any more names but I left racing some time back.

I hope things go well for you, a great sport with fascinating people taking part.

Brian.

JEddy
20-Nov-10, 11:34 PM
I've raced the last two seasons as part of cullompton community college (another one of the under 16 groups still playing with hovercraft). So i can answer some things that you might want to know, but i won't know everything since i am still one of the under 16's.

Good luck with the club

James Eddy

Phil Tattersall
21-Nov-10, 12:07 AM
As one of the Bearwood College "Mob" I can tell you that the name of the person you want to get in contact with from us is Keith Lovel.

I have been racing hovercraft with Bearwood for the past 6 years and although there is a lot I still don't know I would be happy to try and answer any questions you might have.

Phil Tattersall

daly5546
21-Nov-10, 07:09 PM
Hi Darren,

Take a look at the branch contact details on the website. I think that Towcester area would come under Chilterns branch (they also organise the Towcester race meeting). There will be branch members close to you who may be able to guide you.

You have BBV Hovercraft that are relatively close to you. (Bill and Rupert Baker both race)

Jake and I run a corporate hovercraft experience business approx 33 miles North of Towcester. If I can offer any help, please ask.

Chris

Chilterns
email chairman.chilterns (chairman.chilterns@hovercraft.org.uk) Barry Oakley
Tel: 01296 658122

Secretary: email Alison Wallace (hi2darren@mac.com)

Meeting Venue - The Doghouse Pub (Broughton Crossing Broughton, Aylesbury, HP22 5AR)

Meeting Day - 1st Tuesday of month, 8.00pm

keates5632
22-Nov-10, 12:29 PM
Hi Darren,
Welcome to the club! I am a member of the previously mentioned Chilterns Branch, and we put on the Towcester Race event and also the one at Claydon House.
There are loads of people in the club and on the forum that will be able to answer technical questions, and others that will be able to give you advice on setting up your club.
I would suggest you contact Barry Oakley chairman of the Chilterns Branch as previously mentioned, and if you can come down to one of our branch meetings. We have a pretty successful branch with members who participate in racing and cruising, so advice should be plentiful.
Look forward to seeing you in "The Doghouse".
Regards,
Prickle

Bearwood
23-Nov-10, 06:13 PM
Hi Darren,
I am the Youth Officer for the Hoverclub. I have been running an under 16 club for nine years. It is not as simple as it seems. You will need to make sure you have a number of things in place before you get kids involved. Insurance, Health and Safety Risk Assessments, Child Protection policy, CRB check for all adults involved. Oh and you need to get yourself invloved first with some experienced people who will help you sort out the little problems you will encounter.
Do PM me and we can chat about all of the issues involved.

Best regards

Keith @ Bearwood College

LittlePaul
25-Nov-10, 08:30 PM
Hi Darren

I'm probably the closest member to Towcester - my work is between Hartwell, Roade and Ashton. (If I'm not, then someone kept awfully quiet when jobs for the Worlds were being given out!!)

Send me a PM if you want to chat, let me know what help you'd like.

Cheers, Paul

dsracing
30-Nov-10, 11:47 AM
Thank you for all your advice. If there is anyone local to me who would like to help me set up the club I would still like to hear from you.

Darren