PDA

View Full Version : hovercraft on tv. famous and fearless

les bran
29-Dec-10, 08:01 PM
hovercraft will be on tv .C 4 tuesday 8 oclock ,chris evans FAMOUS AND FEARLESS. Jan 4th.

Jon Pert
4-Jan-11, 08:19 AM
Looking forward to seeing the expert, World Formula 2 Champion Les Bran tonight!!! http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/woohoo.gif

peach4730
4-Jan-11, 08:37 PM
well done les and somthing that jack osbourne has not done too.

broad5186
4-Jan-11, 08:45 PM
well done all, i was thoroughly entertained

Winst
5-Jan-11, 07:21 AM
Brilliant. Nice work Les.

Al
5-Jan-11, 08:44 AM
It had the effect on me of making me want to go and race hovercraft:D The best bit of hovercraft tv I have seen in a long while:)

Well done

Brian G. Reynolds
5-Jan-11, 07:08 PM
I have just watched it also! Les, you are a natural! Well done Sir, you looked totally at home with it all.

Is it me or are hovercraft really taking off this year on the box?

I also have to say, I have no idea who any of the competitors are! I know C. Evans, who dosn't, but the others, no idea!

Good one all.

B.

Keith Oakley
5-Jan-11, 07:35 PM
The overall results on their official timed lap were:
1st Jenny 65.9secs
2nd Sarah 67.2secs
3rd Kacey 77.6secs
4th Kelly didn't complete

But before that each girl did 3 timed practise laps. Their fastest practise laps were:
Kelly 63.4
Jenny 65
Sarah 83.9
Kacey 91.9
Both Jenny and Kelly were at racing speed in their practise runs. Jenny at 65secs on practise lap 2 was slightly faster than on her timed lap, probably because she was already moving fast entering the lap. If Kelly had reproduced her practise best of 63.4secs on her timed run she would have easily have been first. But she pushed it too hard and lost her line on the hairpin - interesting to see the hull side body flexing in the crash slow-mo replay! Sarah and Kacey were very slow and tentative with the throttle in practise but both improved dramatically on their timed runs. Les Bran did it in about 40secs in his F2.

Perhaps we should call it the Kelly Hairpin when we race there in the summer! Any ideas for the other girls names?

Filming took 3 days but I was only there on day 3 to do the timing. Arriving at 8am the site was shrouded in thick fog. Craft were scurrying around shifting cameras and people to minimise vehicle impact on the grass. They would appear from the gloom 50 metres away then disappear again. Racing over ice was fun. It was the kind of broken ice that kids find very attractive to walk on and fire brigades find very challenging to rescue from, but it really was no bother in a hovercraft.

Congrats to the 20 or so hoverclub people that made it all happen, especially the marshalls standing out there on a cold December weekend. You can find out who the girls were, and see the hovercraft movie at: http://famousandfearless.channel4.com/
More in the mag.

Keith

Bryan
5-Jan-11, 07:44 PM
Hey Hey Les looking good on TV. I had to watch in slow motion as Jakes craft bent over that post.....ouch!!. Still tv like this can only do good for the sport. Nice work all involved.

Jon Pert
5-Jan-11, 08:12 PM
I have to say good work all! Nice to also see our new medics doing their stuff on the show.

Brian G. Reynolds
5-Jan-11, 08:21 PM
I think I should also add, well done to all those in the background, I did not know so many were involved! My mistake!

Thanks for the write up Keith.

Impressed as usual!

B.

Jon Pert
5-Jan-11, 08:34 PM
We are just watching it. After the hovercraft, just before the demolition derby, the guy on Chris' right (wearing Chris' glasses) is our new medic.

Top bloke, me and Chalk met him when we did Top Gear last year.

James Limburn
16-Jan-11, 09:06 AM
I agree - excellent. Well done to all involved. Very professional and another of quite a few profile-raisers for the sport in recent times.