PDA

View Full Version : new to hovercrafts

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 05:18 PM
ok so im going to buy an eagle hovercraft (dont know the full make ) but it has no engine , what is best engine to put in to it ?

Al
11-Jan-11, 05:40 PM
What are you planning on doing with a hovercraft, (racing, cruising or going around in circles in a field)?

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 05:45 PM
well starting off just as one to use when i go down to the beach ect

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 06:47 PM
Please please don't do this.

A bit of background. Hovercraft have been banned from certain areas in the past due to people causing chaos on beaches with them.

People who enjoy cruising may need to use beaches as a launch point for their days travelling, ie. launch, go on a nice 40-50 mile trip round the coast and come back later to simply land and go home. Due to people buzzing around on the beach creating a lot of noise all hovercraft activity has been banned.

If you wish to cruise with the craft then I would recommend having a nose around here http://www.hoverclub.org.uk/

If you wish to go racing then all the info is here!!

Is there not a field near you that you can use for a bit of fun??

Keith Oakley
11-Jan-11, 07:16 PM
There are other technical problems with beaches too - hovercraft don't hover well on a pebble beach - the cushion air leaks out through the pebbles. Dry sand is blown around a lot and is a nuisance to others. Wet sand is great though. And hovercraft are not good going out through surf, its too easy to get a bucket of water through the fan! As Jon says most beaches are just a launch site for going somewhere else - somewhere nice and muddy perhaps!
Keith

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 07:26 PM
thats all the beach would be as a launch point , so i could just use it during the summers day to take my little sister out and about on the ocean
back to the point ...

whats the best engine ?
also what kinda weight restrictions are there ?

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 07:40 PM
Okay, firstly we need to know what Eagle hull it is. The hull could not be suitable for many reasons. Not adequate bouyancy (keeps you floating if your engine fails). Low freeboard. Do you have a picture of the hull?

If you are operating in these conditions then a 4 stroke such as a Briggs & Stratton engine would be the best. It is quiter than a 2-stroke and more fuel efficient.

Before going any further I would have a chat with the beach warden first. He may not let you on anyway.

What is your budget?

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 07:53 PM
these are the best pics i have, budget is unlimited honestly , but not wanting to spend loads on it as i only paid 90 for it

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a477/cymraegboy/snowdecember10002.jpg

http://i1039.photobucket.com/albums/a477/cymraegboy/snowdecember10001.jpg

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 08:02 PM
Hmmm. I wouldn't honestly venture out onto the sea in that as it is really a racing hull. Eagle Formula 25 hull I believe http://www.kmproducts.co.uk/sport_models.htm

New blades needed for starters. Give Ken a call, you will find his number on the above website, he is the manufacturer and can sort you out with bits and pieces for the craft.

Sorry to be negative but it really wouldn't be safe to take it out on the sea and I wouldn't feel at all happy about recommending you did.

Al
11-Jan-11, 08:05 PM
To be honest I wouldn't take it out to sea. There is not much freeboard for starters probably not much floatation. I think it looks more like a racing hull.

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 08:06 PM
hmm , ok then i suppose you could give me a quick valuation , if i were to buy it for 90 what could i sell it for ?

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 08:11 PM
ok so im going to buy an eagle hovercraft (dont know the full make ) but it has no engine , what is best engine to put in to it ?

As is or are you going to fix it up to make a working craft?

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 08:13 PM
well rough price on both

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 08:21 PM
As is I would say you would get 90 quid for it as you have told us all what you are paying for it. ;) You could probably get a couple of hundred quid to someone who has never owned a craft before.

Keep an eye on this auction. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Eagle-503-Hovercraft-/150544976764?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item230d2e0b7c The craft is also an eagle with a Rotax 503 in it. To be honest you would struggle to make much money on it if you fixed it up only to sell. You will need to buy an engine, fan blades, fan hub, belt, bearings, fuel tank etc. There really are too many variables there to give an accurate price tbh.

Of course if you do it up then you would only want to keep it as it is much fun!!! It would make a reasonable racing craft, sure racing doesn't appeal?

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 08:22 PM
love to but i guess im not the most.... streamline lol

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 08:24 PM
lol, that's okay, not all the racers are...streamline ;)

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 08:26 PM
and id much prefer to let someone else who has a passion for it , do it , than me who wants to do it as a bit of fun

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 08:32 PM
I would say that half the people that race do it to win and the other half do it for the fun. The passion is the same whether you win, don't win, race, cruise or simply have a blat around a local field.

cymraegboy
11-Jan-11, 08:35 PM
yeah true , but i only really wanted to buy it , as i thought it would be cool , theres no passion in it haha so in that case if anybody is after a hovercraft , i can pass you the guys details and you got a cheap , fixable hovercraft

Jon Pert
11-Jan-11, 08:36 PM
I may know someone who may be interested.

I'll PM you if they are!

Al
12-Jan-11, 07:06 AM
I would be interested in the craft, but you are probably too far away from me, I live north west scotland