PDA

View Full Version : Views on vans

datkins
28-Jan-11, 09:13 PM
I've surrendered to the need to get a van of some type to tow trailer and load camping gear, (Sure that a camper would be best but parking/storage etc prevent)

So whats your practical experience please, been thinking along Vauxhal Vivaro/Ford Transit kind of size but most review sites seem to slag off everything.

suepct it smain role will be takign me to race meetings to go break fan blades and repair the craft :)

All views welcome,

Thanks,

David

JOHN STEAD
28-Jan-11, 09:43 PM
stay with the back bone of britain,
The Transit spares are Available everywhere very easy to repair and they just keep going and going and going,i run a 1994 lwb and every year i say i will change it but it just refuses to die.
john

Brian G. Reynolds
28-Jan-11, 11:32 PM
VW Transporter, no question!

Mine just so happens to be up for sale... or rather when I get around to it!

I live in Sheffield and up here they have a massive following but I want to get hold of a Moto-X type of motorhome so I can live in the nice bit and put my kit in the not-nice bit!

B.

gaz
29-Jan-11, 06:10 AM
I am more than happy with my Merc V220, (vito mpv) its air susspension makes towing a dream and has more than enough power to hand. its also got an auto box with cruise control so when its up to speed I set it for the trip and there's no chance of the blue light disco pulling me over for speeding

Al
29-Jan-11, 06:33 AM
Also consider how many people you are likely to carry. Some vans have two seats in the front & some have three.

Brian G. Reynolds
29-Jan-11, 10:57 AM
Lets face it, there are some awsome vans out there now. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

What sort of mpg do you get from your Vito with cruise control Gaz? I have always liked the thought of that.

My van actualy has 7 seats in the front and space for 6 bikes in the rear! And I am on my own...

B.

Al
29-Jan-11, 11:25 AM
The merc van I drive only has 2 seats up front, three seats and a bed in the rear, but the best bit is the blue lights & sirens:D I also don't care how many miles it does to the gallon as the ambulance service pay for the fuel.:D:D. Top speed I'm not going to say, but I will say it is well over the legal limit:D:D:D:D

gaz
29-Jan-11, 03:44 PM
MPG is in the low 30's with the hover in tow at a steady 60 (on motorways of course ;) eh Wayne)
seats wise any where between 2 and 7 depending on how many of them i leave in as 5 of them are indepenently removable

Daniel Newton
29-Jan-11, 04:41 PM
Hi David i have had a renualt traffic/Vauxhal Vivaro (they are the same van) and mine was rubbish. other people have had the same van and think they are great .
I got myself a 2010 transit sport this time last year I think the transit is great. Just take your time looking for one with service history ect.

keates5632
29-Jan-11, 06:48 PM
I have driven a variety of different vans for different reasons.
My humble opinion is:-
In general Transits most reliable and as John said always spare parts around. I find the height from floor to rear of van a lot higher than some other vans though - so if lifting heavy or awkward items can be a pain.
Merc vans also very good but some of the older ones are well worth sticking clear of in my opinion.
Citroen vans are a pile of S@#* and you will probably find a Penny Farthing is more useful!!!

Just my opinion so feel free to ignore at your leisure...

Martin Lock
29-Jan-11, 08:20 PM
I work on Ford Transits, Vauxhall Vivaros, Merc Sprinters, and Peugeot Boxer.

They all have their faults!

But I think the Transit is easy for parts and easy to fix as there isnt alot to them, they mainly come in with EGR faults (not hard to fix). Vivaros are most common with gearbox faults and injectors. Sprinters are very durable but when they go wrong they like to do it in style! Boxers in my opinion I would steer clear of, to many electrical faults.

I work for a fleet company so the vans are mainly abused but if it were me, I would definatley not go for anything French.

Hope that helps!

garagewayne
29-Jan-11, 08:50 PM
For me, its got to be VW, power,reliability and economy. Mine has two single in the front and a single and double removable in the rear

clarke5677
30-Jan-11, 08:02 PM
STAY AWAY FROM VIVARO'S...... We have 8 at Team Nationwide, and after a year or two's mileage they start to fall apart!!!! Gearbox, clutch and engine problems, other than that there fine!!!! If you need any assistance with prices for new engines and gear boxes, we have a folder full of receipts..... one final point, Vauxhalls customer service is absolutely dreadful, hence all lines of communication between 'us and them' no longer exist!!! Transits all the way for me, or new Sprinters!!

Darren

Team Nationwide F1x (British Champions 2010) - was No. 8 - Now No. 3 & Team Nationwide 503 No. 118