PDA

View Full Version : Skirt material

Al
6-Mar-11, 05:08 PM
HI Everyone.

I am refubishing an old BBV 503 racing hull. What material should I use for the skirt segments?

Where can I buy it (cheaply)?

Roughly how many metres would I need for a 10 X 6 foot hull?

I am hoping to race this thing at some point this year "every thing crossed" so I'm trying to get everything ordered in so I can get it finished. I have ordered the paint today, & a few more bits. Willl be ordering a new fan & bearings this week as well as new handlebars & throttle lever & cable.

loopy
7-Mar-11, 07:07 AM
you should be able to get it all from the craft manufacturer who is best placed to advise on quantities etc....

http://www.bbvhovercraft.co.uk/

As soon as you are ready to race, don't forget you will need a novice racing license, make sure you do it all in advance of turning up at your first event. Check out the new racing driver guidelines attached6041

Louise

Al
11-Mar-11, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the advise. I will get my licence sorted in the next few days.

I have skirt material now.

Where can I get one of the brackets that fixes the radio beacon thingy on to the top of the fan duct that they use to keep track of who is on what lap etc? It would be good to fit the bracket before I fix the duct cover on.

It will be easy to keep track of where I am, because I shall be the one in last place;)

Keith Oakley
11-Mar-11, 06:17 PM
Its optically triggered so it needs to be right on top of the duct outer. Just make sure that piece of duct outer is reasonably solid to take peel rivets and its a 5 min job to fit. Pick one up from race control at your first race meeting.
Keith

Al
11-Mar-11, 06:25 PM
Thanks for that Keith.

Have now ordered my novice race licence, while it was fresh in my mind:D I seem to get lots of senior moments these days:confused::(

blixten
19-Mar-11, 09:33 AM
Hi, Just a quick question, where did you get your skirt material from? Have just finished building the hull of an Eagle 1(My first hovercraft) and am trying to source skirt material, am a little confused as there seems to be so many types of skirt around at various costs. Was quoted over £500 for 30m of material here in Sweden, sounds way to expensive?

smallw1449
23-Mar-11, 08:27 PM
We have a good range of materila at very sensible prices. Give me a call or pm me

Keith

Vortex Services
0779 3807073

edenfeldt
30-Mar-11, 09:51 AM
I guess you have talked to Magnus. He is the dealer for Orca which is the material that is used on all of his crafts. That material comes in two different makes, one lighter and less resistant and one more heavy duty that is used on his IH-6. I have bought two roles of fabric from him and I use the heavier for all my skirts on a BBV 2+2 and the price is what it is. Its expensive but for a smaller craft you should be able to get at least a full set maybe one and a half set of skirts from a role.
I made my skirts bigger to get more lift (25 cm) and I used up a role of 27 meters for 76 skirts. Price has gone up according to Orca (I talked to the supplier directly) so the first role I bought was about 6900 SEK (650 pounds) and the second role after the price hade gone up was 8000 SEK (760 pounds).
I expect to get another full set of skirts from my last role and that will keep me going for quite some time. And for my cruising craft I can repair the skirts by just cutting away the worn bit at the bottom in a half moon shape and the sew on a new piece…so I think I could repair my now new set of skirts for a few years with the last role or make a full new set of skirts.
But google is your friend and you can find a lot of good materials from several hovercraft manufactures around the world at better price then here in Sweden. The only question is how resistant they are and how heavy they are.

Hi, Just a quick question, where did you get your skirt material from? Have just finished building the hull of an Eagle 1(My first hovercraft) and am trying to source skirt material, am a little confused as there seems to be so many types of skirt around at various costs. Was quoted over £500 for 30m of material here in Sweden, sounds way to expensive?

blixten
30-Mar-11, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the info, I have ordered my skirt material now (Thanks to advice from Al;)) I also managed to pick up an engine very recently. I will be in touch with Magnus again Im sure for all the props and bits. Where in Sweden are you from? It would be great to have contact with other like minded people here.

edenfeldt
31-Mar-11, 01:00 PM
Good to hear that you found a material, hope it performs as expected. I am located in Stockholm and i am using my craft for commute to the island where i live. Sadly spring is here and i will put my craft to bed in my tent at home awaiting next winter. I have done quite a lot of work on my craft so if there is anything i can help you with i will be glad to be of assistance.

What type of engine have you found? I bought a whole snowmobile that worked just fine and then pulled the parts I wanted :D

edenfeldt@hotmail.com (edenfeldt@hotmail.com)

Thanks for the info, I have ordered my skirt material now (Thanks to advice from Al;)) I also managed to pick up an engine very recently. I will be in touch with Magnus again Im sure for all the props and bits. Where in Sweden are you from? It would be great to have contact with other like minded people here.

blixten
31-Mar-11, 01:36 PM
I went to an auction the other day and managed to pick up a 250cc dirtbike very cheap, was thinking about using that for the power plant. Im located down south of Goteborg near Varberg. I have completed the hull and fan duct and will start on the engine frame and other stuff in a couple of weeks, Im sure I will need more advice later on.

Regards

edenfeldt
1-Apr-11, 12:17 PM
There is quite a lot of work involved in making a bike engine fit properly. I have seen several projects on internet and it takes time. The easiest way to get the project going is to go for a snowmobile engine. Fortunately we live in sweden and can get a hold of good rotax engines from blocket. A good rotax 503 can be found for 1000-3000 SEK and other rotax models like liquid cooled can also be found from 2000-9000.

I use a rotax 670 (120 hk @ 7000 rpm, 668,7 cc, 40,8cu. in.) The good thing with rotax is the good supply of spares here in sweden and the compact size. And all of the older rotax engines up to 2008 maybe later has the same bolt pattern at the bottom so installing a new engine if the first one blows is done in an hour.

Many crafts use rotax and you can find pre fabricated parts to fit to the drive shaft and fan assembly. For example from http://www.kmproducts.co.uk/ or from Magnus Ivanoff.

Here is some clips from my use of my craft: http://www.youtube.com/edenfeldt

Good luck and send me a mail if i can assist in any way.

I went to an auction the other day and managed to pick up a 250cc dirtbike very cheap, was thinking about using that for the power plant. Im located down south of Goteborg near Varberg. I have completed the hull and fan duct and will start on the engine frame and other stuff in a couple of weeks, Im sure I will need more advice later on.

Regards