PDA

View Full Version : School Daze Hovering

KevinT
15-Mar-11, 09:57 PM
Although I remember our school Hovercraft Project as being much sleeker and sporty than it really was, this was the state of the art self build design in the early 70's. This picture is from our school Mag dated 71-72.

Anybody recognise the design, as I am sure it wasnt dreamt up by the bearded bloke in the middle? Unusually I am not in this picture. Which is a bonus as far as Im concerned...

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6049

Kev T

Keith Oakley
16-Mar-11, 07:28 AM
Its a J4 designed by Peter Gooch in Jersey around 1969. He pioneered open water cruises with a run from Jersey to mainland France and back around 1970. Its about 35miles return. I believe Kip might have some pics.
Which school was that? - how well did yours go?
Keith

KevinT
16-Mar-11, 12:40 PM
Keith

This was at the Francis Leveson Sec Modern near Bilston (now alas, a housing estate adjacent to a dual carriageway). The schoolmaster in question was Mr Jones.

I had always thought it was a J4, based on my fairly suspect grey cells, but I had no other details and havent been able to corroborate through internet searches. This picture turned up recently whilst I was footering around in my mums 'archives'.

We never had the opportunity to test it out on anything other than the school playing fields. I personally had very few opportunities to take the helm before the school merged and the hovercraft seemed to be not around any more. In its heyday it was mainly reserved for impressing visiting dignitaries and school Governors.

Kevin

Keith Oakley
16-Mar-11, 02:04 PM
Kevin

Heres a (rather poor) pic from the Oct 1970 mag archive of J4 by Hammersmith Bridge on the 1970 Thames Hover Race - it won the under 500cc (now F2!) class

Keith

trussl2907
17-Mar-11, 08:12 PM
I've got a photo of a J4 as well, recognise anyone in the photo Keith.

Keith Oakley
17-Mar-11, 08:52 PM
Yup - Ron Fishlock on left before he went off to Canada, and Nick Horne (or should that be your father in law!) circa 72? Not sure which beach though
Keith

trussl2907
17-Mar-11, 09:04 PM
And what about the craft in the background??

Marie

Keith Oakley
17-Mar-11, 09:53 PM
Well done Eagle Eyes! I didn't spot it! My 2nd craft Hoveranne2 so I guess its '71. Still don't know where. The only beach event I recall was Skegness, but it doesn't look like Skeggy!
Keith

trussl2907
18-Mar-11, 05:58 PM
Its Weymouth beach keith.