PDA

View Full Version : May 14th at Jake's Place



daly5546
16-Mar-11, 06:57 PM
May 14th 2011




Do you have an interest in hovercraft?



Do you have a hovercraft?



Can you talk about hovercraft?



Do you want to share your passion with others?


If the answer is yes to any of these 4 simple questions then please contact me.
We are having a ‘hovercraft day’ at Jake’s Place.
We want as many different craft as possible on static display to show off the variety of uses. We need the owners to talk to members of the public about their craft. If you have some work to do on a craft, come along and share it.
Please invite at least 5 friends, or family, each to come and see/talk to club members and have a ride/lesson.
We will be giving rides (£3) and driving lessons (£15) all day on a first come basis. Due to noise restrictions we can only run the six designated low noise craft at any time. All proceeds, after costs, will go to the Midlands Branch of the Hoverclub of Great Britain.
This event will have a large amount of press coverage both before and during it, so we are hoping for a high public turnout.
There will be no pressure to meet any time deadlines (be it race start or location reached) this weekend, so come and relax and talk hovercraft.
Jake and Anne have kindly allowed members to stay overnight if they wish. Phil (the burger man) Deans has agreed to be the onsite catering during the event. There will be some toilet facilities that weekend.
There will be more information to follow.

Chris
07952 643778

(PS. The passion reference at the top is for hovercraft)

Brian G. Reynolds
16-Mar-11, 07:44 PM
Hi Chris, this sounds interesting, what it it being staged for? other than publicity?

Shame about the small print about the passion though..... :-))))

B.

daly5546
16-Mar-11, 07:58 PM
There are several reasons for holding this event.

The original idea was to raise a few pounds for the Rother Valley meeting but it has grown into a day to show non-members all kinds of hovercraft.

With the noise sensitivity of this site, we cannot have an open hover-in so we have restricted it to running six nominated craft. It does mean that there is no pressure on anyone who brings a craft to make it perform.

Are you bringing yours? You can work on it here in front of an audience and you do like talking!

It is also a chance for some of the non-drivers to have a go in a craft. Club members will have friends/colleagues who would like to see what we are so passionate about (hovercraft).

Chris

Al
16-Mar-11, 08:16 PM
I would have loved to have brought Taimah May but a 1000 mile round trip is too far for me I'm affraid:(.

Brian G. Reynolds
16-Mar-11, 08:31 PM
Sounds good Chris, I was just wondering as I know Jake is having problems with one of his neighbours and I thought another event might inflame things.

I miss Jakes hoverins on bonfire night, they were a great social event! AND a great venue!

I will certainly earmark the day in my diary.

Keep up the good work!

B.

PS, say hi to "the boys" for me please.

daly5546
23-Mar-11, 07:17 PM
Sounds good Chris, I was just wondering as I know Jake is having problems with one of his neighbours and I thought another event might inflame things.

This will be a quiet event. Lots of people talking about hovercraft.

Chris

daly5546
29-Mar-11, 07:49 AM
Does any one have a craft that will still need work on by May 14th?

Chris

Jon Pert
29-Mar-11, 09:16 AM
Does any one have a craft that will still need work on by May 14th?

Chris

I may be fitting a new skirt to mine around then, other than that nope!

Nick Drew
29-Mar-11, 11:04 AM
Well that will be after round 1 of the championships.......so judging by experience.......i'd say yes!

Winst
29-Mar-11, 11:11 AM
Can we drop our crafts off on say Friday night and pick them up good as new on Sunday ;)

daly5546
29-Mar-11, 03:23 PM
Nick Drew
Well that will be after round 1 of the championships.......so judging by experience.......i'd say yes!


Unfortunately Nick you will not be able to make it that weekend. You have a prior engagement, I believe.


I would like the public to see work being done on a craft, so bring the tools and tinker.

Chris

Jon Pert
29-Mar-11, 03:29 PM
Chris, did you get the email I sent you about Cholmondeley??????

Nick Drew
29-Mar-11, 03:41 PM
I do?? Not that I'm aware of!!

It's in my diary to come to Jakes and talk at people all afternoon about the virtues of racing a tea tray round a field!

Already got the massive Team Drew enclosure planned with merchandise stall. Couple of pit girls standing round handing stuff out and sitting in the craft, pumping tunes, both craft on display, beer fridge overflowing. Sound OK to you?

I'll see you there :)

Nick

Jon Pert
29-Mar-11, 03:45 PM
So the only thing I match Nick on is the overflowing beer fridge, nice!

Jon Pert
29-Mar-11, 03:47 PM
pumping tunes

Farmer with shotgun http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/shoot.gif

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/hehe.gif

Winst
29-Mar-11, 05:09 PM
pumping tunes, both craft on display, beer fridge overflowing. Sound OK to you?

I'll see you there :)

Nick

Sounds brilliant. Shame I'm flying out to Germany on the 14th for 5 days. :(

daly5546
31-Mar-11, 12:50 PM
I do?? Not that I'm aware of!!

It's in my diary to come to Jakes and talk at people all afternoon about the virtues of racing a tea tray round a field!

Already got the massive Team Drew enclosure planned with merchandise stall. Couple of pit girls standing round handing stuff out and sitting in the craft, pumping tunes, both craft on display, beer fridge overflowing. Sound OK to you?

I'll see you there :)

Nick

Have you checked with your Dad?

Nick Drew
31-Mar-11, 01:19 PM
Nope.....

However, pretty much all of Team Drew except myself are away that weekend, which may be why you think I am?

But I'll be at Jakes, so save me a space :)

Nick

Winst
31-Mar-11, 01:27 PM
But I'll be at Jakes, so save me a space :)

Nick

For the beer fridge ;)

keates5632
31-Mar-11, 03:54 PM
See the one weekend i can't make an all of a sudden you are bringing pit-girls, pumping tunes, beer fridge etc... hmmmmm may have to change my plans!!!
Sounds like a good weekend!

daly5546
31-Mar-11, 07:02 PM
Nope.....

But I'll be at Jakes, so save me a space :)

Nick

Of course you will have a suitable space.
I will be sending everyone who is bringing a craft an email with an Info sheet about their craft to fill in. I will laminate the replies so that you can attach them to the craft for public info. It includes things like type of hull, engine, its hp, etc

When is the deadline for the May Magazine?

Chris

daly5546
6-Apr-11, 08:27 AM
I am looking for volunteer hovercraft drivers and driving instructors.

If you can teach or give hovercraft rides for an hour or two on the day, please send me a pm.

The driver training craft will be the two corporate Storms, and the craft giving rides will be two BBV F35.

Thanks

Chris

Gavlarr
12-Apr-11, 08:03 PM
What about admission costs and other one-off fees???

Is it just 'have a go' costs then??

Cheers
/G

daly5546
13-Apr-11, 05:51 AM
What about admission costs and other one-off fees???

Is it just 'have a go' costs then??

Cheers
/G

There are no admission costs/fees.
There is the running costs of the six hovercraft that are giving rides/lessons and the hire of the toilets.
The suggested amount for a ride around the track is £3 and the suggested amount for a short driving lesson is £15. Helmets and life jackets will be loaned by High Cross Hovercraft.
Any funds left over will be used for other Midland Branch events.

The main objective is to encourage friends to come along and experience some of the enjoyment we get from hovercraft.
Jake and Ann have kindly allowed Club Members to stay over on the Saturday night if they wish.

Chris

daly5546
18-Apr-11, 08:42 PM
We now have an Ice Cream man on site on Saturday and cream teas by the Polytunnel.

Brian G. Reynolds
20-Apr-11, 08:15 PM
Chris, I have taken the liberty of asking who is attending from the cruising side and telling them the work you have done for this event, I hope that is ok with you?

Should have asked you first!

I have booked a stylist to do my hair for me so I look good (excellent? better??) for the day! I might even bath in the week before!

Looking forward to it, especially as I am sure I heard you say you are buying the ice creams!

B.

Al
20-Apr-11, 10:18 PM
I would love to bring Taimah May, but I cant justify the £300 fuel it would cost me to make the trip, as Loch Fyne is a couple weeks later, then hopefully my first race meeting 25th June, then a few weeks later West highland cruise. I hope it all goes well.

daly5546
21-Apr-11, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=Brian G. Reynolds;73324]Chris, I have taken the liberty of asking who is attending from the cruising side and telling them the work you have done for this event, I hope that is ok with you?



May 14th 2011




Do you have an interest in hovercraft?



Do you have a hovercraft?



Can you talk about hovercraft?



Do you want to share your passion with others?


If the answer is yes to any of these 4 simple questions then please contact me.
We are having a ‘hovercraft day’ at Jake’s Place.
We want as many different craft as possible on static display to show off the variety of uses. We need the owners to talk to members of the public about their craft. If you have some work to do on a craft, come along and share it.
Please invite at least 5 friends, or family, each to come and see/talk to club members and have a ride/lesson.


There are no sides. We all love hovercraft and do this for fun. Hovercraft may have different designs that suit different situations better but they all ride on air.

Chris

gazza
21-Apr-11, 05:25 PM
sounds good
but where is jakes place ????

daly5546
21-Apr-11, 05:59 PM
sounds good
but where is jakes place ????

Thanks for the interest.

Jake's place is in Leicestershire. The post code is LE10 3PG. We are 1 mile from the A5 and two miles from the M69

If you are bringing a craft or wish to stay over night, please let me know.

Thanks

Chris
07952 643778

Brian G. Reynolds
21-Apr-11, 07:15 PM
Hello Gazza, as you have not been to Jake's place before I thought I might say it is a very nice venue.

Basically, Jake's back garden! (ish), great grounds and a big "pond", it will be a great place to hold such an event.

Come on mate, you know you want to go!

Might be good to add, that as you have never raced(?) you might be able to have a go here in one of Chris' craft, well worth it!

B.

Musicanic
9-May-11, 10:56 PM
Hello,
I am an interested non-member and I would like to come to your 14th May event. I have found Coventry Road Sharnford on maps. Will the actual site be signposted?
I have a bunch of early Hovercraft magazines and books (from before the time when all Hovercraft looked the same !!). Are these likely to be of interest to anyone? I never actually built one - just dreamed.....
Regards,
John

daly5546
9-May-11, 11:02 PM
Hi John,

You will probably see the hovercraft before you see the signs. We are next door to a Garden Centre through the brick gateway.

See you Saturday.

Chris

Jon Pert
10-May-11, 06:53 AM
Hi John,

Here it is.

<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&amp;source=s_d&amp;saddr=Coventry+Rd%2FB4114&amp;dadd r=&amp;geocode=Fao9IQMdcgrs_w&amp;gl=uk&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=ls&amp;sll=5 2.508712,-1.302481&amp;sspn=0.010552,0.033023&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=52. 508124,-1.307459&amp;spn=0.018284,0.036478&amp;z=14&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&amp;source=embed&amp;saddr=Coventry+Rd%2FB4114&amp;da ddr=&amp;geocode=Fao9IQMdcgrs_w&amp;gl=uk&amp;hl=en&amp;mra=ls&amp;sll =52.508712,-1.302481&amp;sspn=0.010552,0.033023&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;t=h&amp;ll=52. 508124,-1.307459&amp;spn=0.018284,0.036478&amp;z=14" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

Nick Drew
10-May-11, 07:47 AM
Hi John,

If you no longer want those magazines then I'll happily take them off your hands. I'll be at Jakes, craft number 81, which will probably be in bits!

I'm the Editor of the mag so the old ones are always of interest!

See you there

Nick

Jon Pert
10-May-11, 11:33 AM
which will probably be in bits!

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/hehe.gif

Nick Drew
10-May-11, 09:36 PM
What time do we have to be there if we are bringing a craft Chris?

Do we have to be there before it all kicks off are can we come up a bit later on?

Cheers

Nick

daly5546
11-May-11, 04:45 AM
Hi Nick,

The public are coming from 09.00 on Saturday so ideally before then.

Some people are coming on Friday to help with the set up.

The press will not be there until lunchtime Saturday.

Come when you can.

Thanks

Chris

Nick Drew
11-May-11, 07:55 AM
OK,

Cheers, working til midnight friday so will try my best for saturday morning!

Nick

datkins
14-May-11, 08:58 PM
Nice one all involved in organising, nice to have time to talk without racing pressures :) learnt a lot now will go and finish ruining an engine.... managed to get water feed tapped on the way home, one down back to ebay

Musicanic
15-May-11, 11:42 AM
To Chris and all the others who helped, taught and drove on Saturday, I thank you for a wonderful opportunity. Having been interested in these machines since my early twenties (late 1960s), I never quite got round to taking part. Now I have ridden in, and even attempted (rather pathetically) to drive one, and it was great fun. However, my knees convinced me I am now "past it", but at least you all gave me the opportunity to say - been there, done that!
Keep up the good work.
John

atters
15-May-11, 12:07 PM
I must add my thanks to everyone who made the day a great success.

My family had a great time and are now more hooked on hover than ever before.

Jake, fantastic, all I can say. Louise and other ladies, great work.

Chris, you are the man.

Brian and Brian for the cruisers statics, thanks guys.

daly5546
15-May-11, 12:08 PM
However, my knees convinced me I am now "past it", but at least you all gave me the opportunity to say - been there, done that!
Keep up the good work.
John[/QUOTE]

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. You are never past it. You just take it easier. There are a lot of things going on that do not require you to drive the craft.
Keep in touch.

Chris

Bryan
15-May-11, 04:52 PM
I would like to thank everyone who put there life on hold to drag there craft across the country to the show. I was surprised that so few public attended. Even more so that there wasn,t one sign post advertising the event.
Tell me please was it members only or friends and family. I was made to believe that the event was attracting up to 2000 visitors and 40 craft would be on show. I,m still not sure what it was about!!!!!. Still it was good to see old racing buddies and share a pint or nine.

coles2196/01
15-May-11, 07:07 PM
I would like to say what a fantastic day we had. It was great to see so many members of the 'public' really enjoying themselves and having such big grins on their faces after a ride.

It was also great socialising in the evening - going to the Chequers at Swinford and having a game of 'skittles' and remembering the 'old days'!

daly5546
15-May-11, 08:28 PM
A quick update on the day we;

Do not know the actual number of visitors on the day but there was a constant stream coming and going through the day.

Gave close to 200 rides around the track and a huge number of smiles. The two F35's were constantly taking passengers. Thank you volunteer drivers.(Kevin, Jake, Ricky, Natalie, Josh, and others)
Dan did not stop all day so I guess he must have had around 100 children and adults having a go in the cadet craft. Thank you Dan and Del.
The corporate craft got used for over 30 lessons. Thank you Conrad, Bob, Andy, Josh and others.
Thank You Catherine, Louise, Gill, Del, and others for manning the desk.
Had a number of enthusiastic enquiries about joining the club and purchasing craft.
Big Al came from Devizes with interest in a craft for cruising. Alf Rogers came from Birkenhead with information about an electric hover platform. A teenager from Leicester brought his leaf blower based machine which he had saved up and built.
Had a great first meeting of the New Recreation Committee as a guest.
Thank you all the members who brought their craft and shared their enthusiasm with so many of the public. Apologies to those I haven't named.

I was asked last night if I would do it again.

The answer is YES. Bigger and better!

Chris

turnbu3656
16-May-11, 04:54 PM
Well done everyone involved. Great day, well done particularly to Chris and Jake for taking this first major step forward in public relations.

I didn't get chance to talk to many members of the public (other than the pep talk of; this makes it go left / right, faster, slower, don't crash it etc) on the day but noticed that most left with big grins and feedback from a few work mates who turned up was very positive.

We need to think about whether local publicity at this site would work (old craft and posters on the A5 central reservation etc) or whether it would just wind up the locals. Shame we didn't get any manufacturers to advertise their wares as this kind of event is where the sales would be made.

Would it be possible to do an element of this kind of thing at other hovercraft events? Not sure how we go about making time at race meetings but it should pay divedends in participation in the long term.

On the subject of getting new members in craft, i've just dusted off little scrapper (ok, hoovered then degreased), which should be commisioned and available for use shortly, but longer term it'll need re-hulling. Has anyone got a servicable and unscared eagle hull / 900mm duct lying around, or access to a suitable intergrated hull mould i could blag?

regards
Dan

turnbu3656
16-May-11, 04:57 PM
How could i forget to thank Del and Paul for the extra pair of hands in the cadet craft arena, they saved me a fair bit of shoe leather and some major repairs. Thanks lads, much apreciated.
Dan

Jon Pert
17-May-11, 07:06 AM
We need to think about whether local publicity at this site would work (old craft and posters on the A5 central reservation etc) or whether it would just wind up the locals. Shame we didn't get any manufacturers to advertise their wares as this kind of event is where the sales would be made.


Exactly my thoughts. The Councils get a bit stuffy about putting up signs on their verges but you could always try and ask a local landowner for permission to put up a sign in his field that is above hedge level?



or access to a suitable intergrated hull mould i could blag?


Myself and Ross have a set of Peewit moulds if they're any good?

jodrisc
17-May-11, 12:42 PM
............Would it be possible to do an element of this kind of thing at other hovercraft events? Not sure how we go about making time at race meetings but it should pay divedends in participation in the long term. ................
regards
Dan

As the chair of the "New Recs Commity" I can officaly say there will be more of this sort of thing. I personaly thought it was a great day, we chatted to a few possible new members and had a great long talk to a couple who have just joined and are looking at the cruising activities.
At Rother we are planning to run Paddock tours, Les and Con have offered to do a session each and so we will be looking for a few more members to help us with this new project. if anyone is interested in giving up a little bit of time for the good of the club to talk to the public I would love to hear from you. We will provide umbrellas if wet!!...

thanks in advance

jo xx

broad5186
17-May-11, 12:47 PM
I'f i'm not emptying water out of my craft and engine like last year count me in for doing a paddock tour or two - do we get special T shirts or umbrellas to wave ??

Tony Broad

jodrisc
17-May-11, 02:21 PM
Hehehehe..........Thank you so much Tony, will see you first drivers briefing to see when is best for you... And I'm just looking online at some nice high vis vests for the guides... and an umberella or two....

I'm also trying to put together an info sheet/flyer that can be given out. Not only at paddock open times but maybe something the shop can hand out for free as well as giving some to the corperate hover companies to give to their clients... think we could interest a new member or two if they have the club details on the day of their first experience. ....... would love some suggestions.... please. :-) xx

Jon Pert
17-May-11, 02:27 PM
I think there are already some vests or tabards with Steward written on in race control, can't be sure though.

jodrisc
17-May-11, 03:00 PM
Oh Jon, that would be great,... any idea who i should ask to find out if they are still there??

Jon Pert
17-May-11, 03:07 PM
Okay, just asked the missus.

When she was chief she ordered up some hi-viz vests. They have either 'Scrutineer', 'Marshal' or 'Press Official' on the back of them. There should be plenty of each so the Marshal ones could be used as they are marshalling people around the paddock?

The race control van and race control itself are right on their legal weight limits so be careful about adding more stuff to them!

jodrisc
17-May-11, 03:34 PM
LOL.... thanks jon
x

keates5632
17-May-11, 05:35 PM
Jo,
To add to any info you are putting together, i am also compiling a "marshal" leaflet to give out to members of the public - again to be given out by the shop etc. Hoping to get some more members in to the club and into the marshal scene without having to buy a craft etc!
Will let you know how we get on...
Prickle

KipMac
17-May-11, 05:55 PM
Myself and Ross have a set of Peewit moulds if they're any good?[/QUOTE]

We wonder where they went to.
Lent out many years ago. never returned and vanished from view.

Not a problem Jon, feel free to carry on the good work.

Kip

Jon Pert
17-May-11, 07:53 PM
Prickle. The club is affiliated to the MSA, maybe some marshals from other forms of motorsport could be sought by that means?

Kip. If the moulds can help then great!

Brian G. Reynolds
17-May-11, 09:14 PM
Just like to say I had a good day at this event!

I met some great people as well as seeing some old friends, especially Bod Beach back on track! lovely chap!

The people taking rides as well as self drivers were way busy! Fantastic!

I take my hat off to Chris and the other "staff" for all the effort they must have put into this and of course Mr and Mrs Cooper for the venue, still one of my favourite venus's.

Thank you Chris for inviting me, it certainly has awakened something I had not thought of before!

Well done one and all.

B.

daly5546
17-May-11, 09:20 PM
Dont forget we have Charlies Hovercraft Day in July.

Let's make it bigger and better.

There will be more opportunity to run craft.

Chris

KevinT
17-May-11, 10:43 PM
Deleted

loopy
18-May-11, 06:56 AM
Jo, there are already a number of leaflets in the shop, take care not to duplicate. Contact the publications officer (Granville) as to what is already available (although I am sure there isn't a specific one on marshaling Prickle).....

jodrisc
18-May-11, 10:49 AM
Thanks for that Lou.... getting to grips with who to ask for what for information at the moment... without hassaling too many people... will get in touch with Mr S later today
xx

Scuba Kev
18-May-11, 12:21 PM
(although I am sure there isn't a specific one on marshaling Prickle).....

Marshaling Prickle.... Now that must be near on impossible! :p

keates5632
18-May-11, 06:10 PM
Only about as difficult as driving a hovercraft without falling in the water Kev :p

daly5546
18-May-11, 07:40 PM
Only about as difficult as driving a hovercraft without falling in the water Kev :p

Are you practising at Rother?????

Scuba Kev
19-May-11, 05:33 AM
Since I last fell out in 2007! I have been holding on tight and seem to have developed this white knuckle grip! (Claydon last year was a voluntary Jump in the lake due to engine problems so doesn't count) as you are aware there are some that have already taken a dive twice this season and we've only had one race meeting! Shame it wasn't a "water course"

Scuba Kev
19-May-11, 06:12 AM
Are you practising at Rother?????

Yep I'll be there Chris, believe it or not I actually prefer the water courses.. also on a plus side I've got Pole position, can we get Prickle a jetski for Rother?;)