PDA

View Full Version : AGM Minutes

speddi1007
20-Mar-11, 12:48 PM
Attached are the minutes of the 43rd AGM
The first meeting of the Council will be on April 16th
Officers will be appointed, including the new chairman, who is appointed from Council Members.
Council Members are:
Chris Barlow, Chris Daly, Kevin Foster, Jim Lyne, Kip McCollum, Granville Spedding (Secretary)
Further replies to the survey would be welcome before that date as the replies so far are really inconclusive.
Any discussion points to the secretary by Email or Post please - not via the bulletin board.
info@hovercraft.org.uk
Thanks
W Granville Spedding (Secretary)

Jon Pert
22-Mar-11, 07:39 AM
Any discussion points to the secretary by Email or Post please - not via the bulletin board.

I know it is not an 'official' channel to Council but I do think that comments made on the bulletin board, especially in the member only forums, should be taken into account by Council. It is your members talking about issues after all. It also helps to highlight any other issues that otherwise may not come to light if the discussion on the board had not taken place. Was the big thread from last year about club/cruising greivences discussed by Council? If you cut through the bluster and mud slinging there were some very valid points raised, points that if taken on board may have led to stopping the split.

There is also no reason why Council cannot put up a thread in the members only area asking for issues to be discussed at their next meeting. It can be made clear that it is only a thread for agenda topics and NOT a discussion thread. That way if any form of discussion occurs the posts can be deleted by a moderator in order to keep the thread clean. This could also be a way of jogging peoples minds into issues that they want discussed that previously they had forgotten about.

Just a thought...

ETA: This is why, among other reasons, we developed the Club Members areas of the bulletin board. To give Club members an area to discuss Club issues. Please Council, do not ignore comments made on here as discussion brings up more opinions that people may not have thought they had, which surely is only good for the club??

daly5546
22-Mar-11, 04:07 PM
Jon,
When a conclusion to a discussion is reached on the bulletin board please put a proposal on the agenda for the next council meeting if it warrants council action. Please include all salient points including the proposer, the seconder and the number of current supporters of the proposal.

Please bear in mind that the a significant proportion of the membership do not log on to the website with any regularity if at all (and that would include some of the Council Members).

The magazine could be used more to keep those members up to date with the 'website using' community views. I am sure Nick would welcome members, or groups of members, views being published to the rest of the HCGB.

Could you encourage a precis of each month's topics for the magazine?

Chris

Jon Pert
22-Mar-11, 04:35 PM
Jon,
When a conclusion to a discussion is reached on the bulletin board please put a proposal on the agenda for the next council meeting if it warrants council action. Please include all salient points including the proposer, the seconder and the number of current supporters of the proposal.

I think you misunderstand what I mean. Conclusions are rarely reached on any bulletin board in the World let alone ours. What I can and will do however is email Council to alert them to an issue that is being discussed that may need their attention. Council can then address the membership through the magazine, email, bulletin board etc. to see if the issue needs to be looked at and resolved. I believe that Council (and the other committees) should be pro-active rather than re-active. If an issue can be looked at and addressed then it would help it to stop escalating.

Please bear in mind that the a significant proportion of the membership do not log on to the website with any regularity if at all (and that would include some of the Council Members).

Agreed, in part. A fair amount of people log on daily and weekly, have a look around but do not post. I do think however that Council members should, indeed must, at least have a look at the topics at regular intervals, it doesn't take long to have a quick look at current posts, especially if done regularly.

The magazine could be used more to keep those members up to date with the 'website using' community views. I am sure Nick would welcome members, or groups of members, views being published to the rest of the HCGB.

Could you encourage a precis of each month's topics for the magazine?

I spoke about this with Nick last year and he does this when he is short of stuff for the mag. It's quite quick to do as it is simply a cut and paste job. I can see if I can get time to put together a snap-shot of topics and comments each month.

Maybe we can have one of the Council members to respond in a timely fashion to posts so that the members can see that ideas/problems are being taken on board? This would help the usual 'I've emailed and heard nothing back' gripe you hear over and over again. Also decisions that have been made that have not been passed onto the people who need to know (me in this case, today!).

Please don't take any of my comments negatively, they are simply suggestions to improve the communication between the membership and 'da management'.

KipMac
22-Mar-11, 04:53 PM
Please be assured that I am very keen to make sure that COMMUNICATION amongst all of us is vital and has long been overlooked.
I also know that I am not a lone voice on this issue.
It will be addressed as a matter of importance.

The comments and views expressed on this forum will be taken into consideration and I read it on a daily basis.

Until council meets, we cannot speak as a body and can only ask for understanding that we hopefully are all going the same way.

Kip

Jon Pert
22-Mar-11, 04:55 PM
Please be assured that I am very keen to make sure that COMMUNICATION amongst all of us is vital and has long been overlooked.
I also know that I am not a lone voice on this issue.
It will be addressed as a matter of importance.

The comments and views expressed on this forum will be taken into consideration and I read it on a daily basis.

Until council meets, we cannot speak as a body and can only ask for understanding that we hopefully are all going the same way.

Kip

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/woohoo.gif http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/thumbup2.gif

Jon Pert
22-Mar-11, 08:44 PM

Just been having a play with the statistics tools of this site.

Basically over the last month I can look at how many users have been on the site every day. This ranges from 56-87 users per day throughout the month. If you take into account one person per family* logging on then it is between a quarter and a third of the membership logging on regularly (based on approx 200-250 membership subscriptions).

Naturally this will increase when the racing season starts.

* Bit of a guess but for example, I am on quite a bit. The wife is not. Looking at member stats the same can be said for quite a few couples/families.

ETA: I can send web statistics to Council and am willing to talk it over at a Council meeting if you like. Just ask.

Winst
23-Mar-11, 08:39 AM
I am on quite a bit. .

Really!!!! :lol:

Jon Pert
23-Mar-11, 08:45 AM
Really!!!! :lol:

http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/p041.gif