PDA

View Full Version : Hirth F30S

Daniel Newton
27-Jul-11, 09:47 PM
I'm looking for a Hirth F30S engine it is a 1042cc four cylinder boxer. That is going into pauls old pintail that i am restoring.

KipMac
28-Jul-11, 07:37 AM
Hi Daniel,
Really looking forward to seeing the finished craft.
Can I have a go please (on a tether in a circle).
Now there's an interesting challenge!! How fast before you black out.
Having said that, an interesting bit of fun would be a tug of war between 2 craft in line with each other both tethered to a rope around a pulley attached to a tree.
Then you would know who has the most thrust.
Anyone got a large pulley block?
Kip

keates5632
28-Jul-11, 10:42 AM
That's a good looking craft!
Shame the "flag" is produced the wrong way round on the craft! :rolleyes:
I shall have a word with Paul (i assume its Hibby) when i see him next!
Good luck with it though...
Prickle

Winst
28-Jul-11, 11:43 AM
I shall have a word with Paul (i assume its Hibby) Prickle

I believe it's Kip's Son's old craft.
I think it's from the mid to late 90's

Jon Pert
28-Jul-11, 11:58 AM
I believe it's Kip's Son's old craft.
I think it's from the mid to late 90's

Yep it's Paul McCollum.

Picture that Kip put up on the HoverClub website.

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e253/sixpackpert/UnionJackCraft.jpg

keates5632
28-Jul-11, 12:57 PM
Being a bit of a newbie and not knowing all the history looking at that photo, it looks as if Paul and that craft were pretty successful according to all those trophies!
Hope you get it going as well as the original did Dan - no pressure! :p

KipMac
28-Jul-11, 03:57 PM
7 times F1 Champion
Proud Dad.
Kip

Brian G. Reynolds
28-Jul-11, 04:35 PM
Kip, is that the craft in the "Blue Peter - Mike Oldfield" Video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss42o6C--Hc&feature=player_embedded

I have to admit, I love this video! Makes me laugh every time I watch it!

IIRC the Lady in the film was related to you? and it was your dog in the film as well?

Go on Kip, please tell the story, just for me!

Fantastic!

B.

KipMac
28-Jul-11, 05:49 PM
Brian,
The craft was a Kestrel which predated the F1 by Umpteen years.
Look again at the titchy duct, single engine,etc.
My Paul was the Charlie Chaplin stand in and Lindsay Gatward stood in for the pirate.
Most of the other bunch were members of the so called Dangerous Sports Club who were all rat a---d by 11am.
No idea who the lady or the dog were.
It was done for Blue Peter around 1980
No story really. Just another one of those daft things that happen to some of us.

Kip

Paul Fitz
28-Jul-11, 07:34 PM
Brian,
The craft was a Kestrel which pre dated the F1 by Umpteen years.
Kip

And that Union flag Kestrel was, I assume the one latterly owned by Andie Scales who had a Honda 250cc single pot 2-stroke in it (A pig to start), and is now owned I think by Derek Sweetman.

It would be nice on occasions to be able to see the complete history of some craft. Some would have a real tale to tell ;o)

Brian G. Reynolds
28-Jul-11, 07:49 PM
Thanks Kip, it certainly is a nice looking craft.

I was just thinking last week, how many of the craft in the Museum have your grubby fingerprints on them I wonder....

Maybe we should re-name it to Kips Hovercraft Museum?

B.

KipMac
28-Jul-11, 08:15 PM
I think you will find quite a few more worthy names in there Brian.
I was only a tiddler in a big pond.
If you had been around a bit longer you would be aware of far bigger fish than me.
None as pretty though.
Kip

Daniel Newton
28-Jul-11, 09:37 PM
This was the first F1 craft that i was given a ride in paul took me for a few laps around stanford hall I was about 12 and from that day i was hooked.

dose anyone have any hirth f30s parts kicking around.

Kip you are more than welcome to take it out when i get it finished. do you have any tips for removing gloss paint from fiberglass?

Dan

KipMac
29-Jul-11, 07:42 AM
Sorry Dan, but your on your own as to removing paint.
I am not awae of any method that would not harm the gel.
Hopefully someone will know better.
Your on for a ride and maybe I will let you drive the HoverTruck next year!
Kip

Nick Drew
29-Jul-11, 10:28 AM
It would be awesome to see it flying round Stanford Hall again...........Oh well, we can all dream!

Nick

Jon Pert
29-Jul-11, 12:24 PM
Hi Dan,

We do graffitti removal products. They do not have any abrasive chemicals in so may do the job. Would be worth trying on a small hidden area first such as where the thrust engine would be be for instance.

Let me know dude.

turnbu3656
29-Jul-11, 08:56 PM
From memory most of the hirths broke down in a big way, so i'm not sure if there are any significant bits left, Tony Connor had the last one i remember being raced and that was made from at least two engines. It may be worth trying the German club they had quite a few in F1 and FS.
The fact that Paul won so many championships using such an unreliable engine was amazing and testement not just to his driving, but to how quickly he could retime the points ignition and reattach the flywheel after it had fallen off its locating peg.
Put an 809 in it and scare youself silly, I did, too short and too narrow. They look fantasitic but i cut mine up a few years ago, the gloss paint was the only stuff holding it together.
Dan

Al
30-Jul-11, 03:47 PM
Another option that may work is soda blasting. This should remove the paint and leave a key on the gelcoat ready for what ever you plan on coating it with. There must be someone in your area that has a soda blaster.

The other way is to use a DA orbital sander, but loads of work and not so good in the corners.

I have used a paint stripper in the past that was meant for use on glass fibre but it was over 20 years ago and I cant remember what it was called.

But seriously soda blasting is probably your best bet.

Daniel Newton
30-Jul-11, 04:06 PM
Put an 809 in it and scare youself silly.

I was thinking about doing that it would be great out of the water at jakes!

SachaR
2-Aug-11, 08:31 AM
Dan,

Try getting in touch with Andreas Fulner, he used to run one in his formula S craft, he may know were ther is one left. If you can get in touch tell me and I will either ask him at Saalburg or ask Renatto to ask him when he goes to Sweeden.

Sacha

hovmart
7-Aug-11, 09:53 AM
I'm looking for a Hirth F30S engine it is a 1042cc four cylinder boxer. That is going into pauls old pintail that i am restoring.
that craft ended up with the tripel rotax in after paul give up with the hirth

Daniel Newton
7-Aug-11, 06:37 PM
that craft ended up with the tripel rotax in after paul give up with the hirth

This craft was paul's first union jack craft that only had the hirth installed. The one that had the 779 in had the back extended

hovmart
8-Aug-11, 09:15 AM
This craft was paul's first union jack craft that only had the hirth installed. The one that had the 779 in had the back extended
hirth in the craft before the union craft, with head off again, might help on the rebuild

Bill Baker
12-Aug-11, 06:06 PM
Dan I sold such an engine to Boninghousen worth asking him? Via Scanaveno (his team mate at Castrol ) Phone No 0039 0122852013 or 0039 335483766 Good Luck Bill

Fuzzyduck
15-Aug-11, 08:54 PM
A

I have used a paint stripper in the past that was meant for use on glass fibre but it was over 20 years ago and I cant remember what it was called.

In the boat club, I'm involved with, we use, dilunet

http://www.boatpaint.co.uk/datasheets/deks_olje/Dilunet%20Original.pdf

Not a supplier I know of, or have ever used, but it's a data sheet that might help.

Edited to say, it's now called "Marine strip" might be a good idea to google it with safe search on

pascall
8-Dec-11, 02:01 PM
hi everybody,

Any body have news from Daniel Newton ?

It's for the Engine researched.

hoveregard's

Pascall