PDA

View Full Version : Starlight Day Thursday 18th August 2011 Can you help?

beech2896
7-Aug-11, 07:07 AM
Many of you will be aware that for more than ten years the Southern Branch, and other members of the HCGB, have supported the Starlight Foundation by giving rides at the biggest event of their year at Popham Airfield, Near Basingstoke in Hampshire. This year it is on August 18th.

What I am hoping is that some of you may be able to come along and help those who are already coming. If you do, we will be giving rides to chronically, critically and terminally ill children, many of whom will be brought from hospitals specially for this day. I will warn you though that, if like me, you will find the day both emotionally and physically draining but, at the end, you will be uplifted by the knowledge that you have really made a difference, not only to the children, but also to their families who come with them.

I know that this is rather late in the day to ask but, in the last few days there have been several setbacks for the event with the Harley Davidson motorcycle club, the bouncy castle and several others not coming. The helicopters are also having to change their procedures so will not be able to carry as many passengers as before. (What ever you do at the event, do not mention Health and Safety matters to the organisers). So, it would be good if we can field a really good number of craft to help deal with the larger number of children that will want to have alternative excitement.

We also have been caught up in these problems but the upside is that we have now arranged a much larger area than ever before, more than twice the size. Also, if you want to, you can stay on the Airfield on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights free of charge. There are toilets and wash basins (sorry no showers) and a clubhouse that serves food on the site.

Rides are normally from about 12.00 to 17.00 hours. You will need to turn up at least one hour beforehand so that the usual formalities can be completed including briefing, signing in and safety checking the craft.

If you would like more information, please contact me on 01425 610775 or 07711 560347. Send me a PM or e-mail to robertf.beech (at) btopenworld.com

Thanks in advance.

Bob Beech.