PDA

View Full Version : Hovercraft Museum

HoverTim
1-Sep-11, 09:58 AM
Hello all

some of you may be aware of this via facebook if you have sent your thoughts on then thanks for that. For those not in the know the Hovercraft Museum is under threat as the land that it sits on is up for development and does not include the museum in anyway.The museum contains some early examples of racing craft as well as many other historical craft i dont know what would happen to them if the museum were to close but i think you can all guess.please object to the planning on this link http://www.gosport.gov.uk/gbcplanning/ApplicationDetails.aspx?ID=17976

Thanks Tim

Al
1-Sep-11, 11:26 AM
My objection sent to the planners.

If the proposed developement goes ahead then it is more than likely that the hovercraft Museum will have to close. This would be a tragic loss to the UK. The hovercraft museum is the only museum of its kind in the world and has a massive collection of hovercraft and memorabelia. The hovercraft was one of the great British inventions and as such deserves to be preserved.

If this site housed an old wooden ship or a listed builing the proposed developement would not be allowed to take place. The Hovercraft museum is just as important if not more so than the above and as such should be preserved for future generations.

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 03:01 PM
Since when has logic or importance or objections etc, ever stood in the way of the money people?

If they want to build on it, they will, no matter what "people" do or say.

My protest will be placed tonight!

B.

Jon Pert
1-Sep-11, 03:18 PM
Since when has logic or importance or objections etc, ever stood in the way of the money people?

If they want to build on it, they will, no matter what "people" do or say.

My protest will be placed tonight!

B.

Mmmmmm, disagree with that dude. 50 homes were due to be built up the road from us by a well known, very large developer. Our neighbourhood protested and it got thrown out! Do it right and anything can happen!

Sometimes it can happen. Will lodge a complaint later tonight.

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 03:55 PM
I hope in this case you are right Jon, if this is true the museum will be in dire need of our support!

All being well I will see you next weekend I hope?

B.

Jon Pert
1-Sep-11, 03:58 PM
Nope, I will be at Claydon I'm afraid.

Will see you at somepoint I'm sure.

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 04:00 PM
You know, just reading the application, maybe one of the acceptance criteria could be "Need to build a building for the housing of the world's only hovercraft museum"....

OK, pigs may fly....

You can but hope!

I am sure Warwick has something up his sleeve, after all, it was all his fault in the first place!

B.

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 04:02 PM
Of course, excellent venue Claydon, always has been.

Can't you just nip across during the paddock opens.....

B.

Jon Pert
1-Sep-11, 04:06 PM
Can't you just nip across during the paddock opens.....

B.

Possibly...http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/scratchchin.gif

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 04:16 PM
I have now entered my concerns on the petition.

Does anyone mind if I mention this on the cruising site, in case anyone has not seen it?

Good find by the way Tim, or better still, thanks for passing it onto us.

B.

Baz Hunt
1-Sep-11, 04:22 PM
Objection lodged.

HoverTim
1-Sep-11, 04:31 PM
i was made aware of this last weekend while at the hover museums hog roast please feel free to pass on to who ever you like the more names the better as John says with enough names thye will have to sit up and listen

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 04:38 PM
Thanks Tim, job done.

Just reading the supporting paperwork accessible from the original link.... Blimey, there is a lot!

Shame we cannot buy a 1 foot plot of land and plant a rare Orchid!

B.

KipMac
1-Sep-11, 04:54 PM
Just get the travellers from Essex to take it over. That would save it for at least 10 years.
Kip

Scuba Kev
1-Sep-11, 05:42 PM
Just get the travellers from Essex to take it over. That would save it for at least 10 years.
Kip

I'm sure they would strip the museum quicker than if it was knocked down for developing the site

Brian G. Reynolds
1-Sep-11, 08:02 PM
Has anyone read the documentation for the application?

Have a read of this one, here (http://www.gosport.gov.uk/PlanningTemp/110901084833puxz5cqr1gvzocisxiobtu45.pdf), bottom of page 1, it seems the developers do not recognise that the museum even exists! But the planners most definitely do!

You can access all the plans and letters here (http://www.gosport.gov.uk/gbcplanning/ApplicationDocuments.aspx?ID=17976).

B.

loopy
2-Sep-11, 07:34 AM
Objection lodged!

HoverTim
23-Sep-11, 03:10 PM
Recived From Warwick

Gosport Council have amended the brief for Daedalus development and NOW thanks to all the letters sent in they have included that a Hovercraft Museum is included in the plans

The new land agents now will take this into account so we now have a landlord committed to us being on site

thanks to everybody for all their letters of support ...the council said it made a difference!

we can relax a bit now as a big hurdle has been jumped !!!!

Warwick

Tim

Al
23-Sep-11, 03:37 PM
How about posting this reply on the hoverclub forum as well as there were a lot of the hoverclubs members that also sent in letters to the Gosport Council.

It is good news and great that a council has made a correct decission for a change:)

Jon Pert
23-Sep-11, 04:00 PM
Or just put a link to this thread on the Hoverclub forum?

Brian G. Reynolds
23-Sep-11, 07:24 PM
This is great news indeed! Well worth talking to the council.

As for posting it on the Cruising site, I started a thread there at the start of this so I suppose I can now end it...

Well done to everyone!

B.