PDA

View Full Version : Claydon Live

Keith Oakley
9-Sep-11, 10:50 AM
Live TV coverage of racing from Claydon House this weekend will be available on www.hover-racing.org (http://www.hover-racing.org)
First race scheduled to start at 1310 UK time on saturday.

The following weekend we're hoping that the German club will be able to broadcast coverage of the Saalburg EHF meeting on our network. More later.

Keith

datkins
9-Sep-11, 02:42 PM
Keith, anythign happening?

Keith Oakley
9-Sep-11, 03:55 PM
Greetings from the race site on fri afternoon where its dry and about 21deg at present -weather can only go downhill from here! Course is setup and folk are arriving. 3G uplink seems ok at 1.5mb up so hopefully we'll be able to stream at pretty good speed tomorrow, rain permitting!
Hope you're enjoying your conference David First race 1310 tomorrow
Keith

datkins
10-Sep-11, 05:59 AM
Keith,

Ross will understand, already in exhibition mode and lost track of the day, thought it was saturday already!

Will try and sneak a peak today then!

good luck with the weather

David

Keith Oakley
10-Sep-11, 10:09 AM
Greetings from a breezy overcast but dry (so far!) Claydon on sat morning. Practise underway, racing scheduled to start at 1310
Keith

wcastendijk
10-Sep-11, 12:08 PM
Ok, loud and clear reception in the Netherlands.
have fun, Wouter

turnbu3656
10-Sep-11, 12:30 PM
Racing is looking good from here in windy Derby.

Well done Sam! We were cheering you on!

Nikki, Adam and Laura Turnbull

Hovertrekker
10-Sep-11, 12:45 PM
Hi from the USA. Great 503 race! Good work on the cameras and commentating.

Penny Lovell
10-Sep-11, 01:02 PM
Hello from Cyprus!

Missing everyone loads! Highjacked a bar's internet to watch.
Never booking a holiday over a race meeting again.

Commentary and connection - brilliant!

Missing being in orange!!

Penny and Mike x

turnbu3656
10-Sep-11, 01:14 PM
Daddy, you're the best! Go Daddy!

We have had a great time watching so far. We've been doing lots of cheering all of you on!

Camera work and commentary is brilliant - almost as good (and much less windy here in our living room) than being there.

Adam and Laura

hoverhead
10-Sep-11, 01:20 PM
Also watching in Melbourne Australia.

Greeting all.

sorgatz
10-Sep-11, 01:55 PM
just stepped into the feed, F1 is underway, excellent!!!

Strike that F1 comment, looks more like the F1 open class?

Keith Oakley
10-Sep-11, 02:05 PM
Yep that was the open. We're on paddock open restart at 1550 UK time
Keith

turnbu3656
10-Sep-11, 03:52 PM
Hi Keith

I think the camera work is brilliant. See you at Jake's

Adam

Keith Oakley
10-Sep-11, 03:57 PM
Thanks Adam - its all down to Team Sweetman and Jake Cooper for video direction.
Keith

Hovertrekker
10-Sep-11, 04:42 PM
Well done everyone! Great fun watching. Hope to see you tomorrow too.

Ciao

wcastendijk
10-Sep-11, 04:42 PM
Keith thanks to you, the Sweetpeople and Jake for the entertainment !
Wouter

Keith Oakley
10-Sep-11, 04:57 PM
Thanks for watching! Todays results are available - click on buttons at top of live page. See you tomorrow, we start at 1130am UK time.
We're off to the party!
Keith

daly5546
11-Sep-11, 08:41 AM
Good Morning Keith,

For the first time ever I will be able to watch some racing live from home.

Thanks

Chris

Keith Oakley
11-Sep-11, 08:41 AM
Great party- fantastic costumes! My innovation prize goes to Conrad as conrod.
Sunny but windy this morning, wind expected to increase over the day. Practise underway now, we should be live for first race at 1130am UK time
Keith

wcastendijk
11-Sep-11, 10:51 AM
Can we have some more pictures of people/marshals/helpers if there is no racing going on?
Would love to see the humans involved, not just the craft going around, or lining up every 10 minutes. Maybe with some info on what they do? Would be nice for the all-round picture of the sport.

Wouter
ps really happy to have this on the laptop, sitting on the sofa with one leg up!!

Keith Oakley
11-Sep-11, 11:34 AM
ok good idea -we're now doing some marshall shots, we don't have a video commentator so diff to line up job descriptions cvs etc
Keith

wcastendijk
11-Sep-11, 12:22 PM
Thanks,
Looking good keep up the diversity in pictures!
Thanks,
W

ok good idea -we're now doing some marshall shots, we don't have a video commentator so diff to line up job descriptions cvs etc
Keith

Brian G. Reynolds
11-Sep-11, 12:23 PM
My hat off to all the marshalls in that weather!

All very impressive as always,

Tanks all,

Brian.
Windy Shefield.... cant afford to go abroad.........

Hoverbucks
11-Sep-11, 12:36 PM
Looking good @ the Chapman house!

hoverhead
11-Sep-11, 02:33 PM
Camera direction, could we see more of the action and less of static exhibits and high speed panning back to first positions. Some of the camera cuts a too quick to see what is happening when there is something happening and to long on other frames when the craft are out of frame. Good efforts so far but a little polish please.

Regards from Melbourne, Aust.

turnbu3656
11-Sep-11, 02:47 PM
Hi Keith

Got back from the dance dress rehearsal just in time to see the F2 race, so we've missed both of Dan's races today - how did he do? Did we miss anything?

Thanks

Nikki, Adam & Laura

gaz
11-Sep-11, 02:53 PM
Good efforts so far but a little polish please.

Considering the cameras Etc. are all manned by volunteers and frequently by untrained first timers I think they all do a fantastic job, I for one am just grateful to be able to watch anything from the comfort of my armchair. Many thanks to members of the HCGB and the tireless effort they all put in to bring us the racing

Keith Oakley
11-Sep-11, 03:07 PM
Dan won both Thanks for the feedback from downunder - we'll work on it. Major prob of the last hour or so has been getting rain out of cameras and cables, which has limited coverage somewhat.

Keith

wcastendijk
11-Sep-11, 03:08 PM
Before we are cut off rudely and we have to go back to our simple lives.
I would like to thank all who made it possible to have a front seat at these races this weekend.

The Brothers Oakley for the technical and spoken efforts, Jake for pushing the buttons. Sweetpeople for manning the camera's. And the Marshals on the track.
All others who helped building and cleaning up!
I had a blast watching it all!!!

Thanks,
Wouter

turnbu3656
11-Sep-11, 03:09 PM
Thanks for that Keith, you are all doing a fantastic job in the rain!

Nikki

Keith Oakley
11-Sep-11, 03:43 PM
Laptimes and Points tables for this weekend are available by clicking on buttons at top of live page.
Season results and video replays will be up tomorrow
Keith

hoverhead
12-Sep-11, 02:02 AM
Cameras,
I really didn't want to complain or seem ungrateful, watching live hovercraft racing was a real treat even though it did overlap the Sam Marino F1GP. But I felt that (and I appreciate what a task it is to co-ordinate) I was seeing not much of the action while looking at the control centre or marshals when no hovercraft were near. The fast panning back to first position was painful to watch.

It also appeared that there was an abundance of cameras covering one end of the course and none at the other end. We were seeing some action from several viewing points and some not at all or it was hidden behind trees and structures.

There was a great position on the otherside of the water that was seeing the first transition and the second yet we were not getting very much of the complete transit on water. There was a cut away generally, just as the second transition was about to happen. Often it looked like a pass was about to happen but we didn't get to see what happened.
This camera position did give me some idea of the kidney shape of the course when it sometimes showed the bumpy part of the course I had only been seeing from a behind and at some distance.

I have no tv production experience so you can tell me to buzz off, but I have watched many hours of car racing and something I have noticed is the the cameras only concentrate on what in in their near field of vision on not try to follow the whole circuit (unless it's in a helicopter or blimp). The cameras are usually strategicly placed so as to cover the course with little over lap or some times none and the cuts from one camera to the next are usually co-ordinated to follow a particular car or cars from time to time. Often the cameras are located where action is likely to occur.

I was wondering, is there some sort of collage for learning TV production? Here in Melbourne we have an amateur community TV station run by RMIT where the students and community make and transmit programs. If there is something like that there maybe you could enlist their help.

Outside Broadcasts are very difficult, that's why TV stations don't do lots of them. They take experience and equipment to execute well. I was thinking that by getting a college or community TV station involved, that they could use these as learning projects for their courses and you guys would benefit their experience and gain some smooth vision to present to the world.

I want to see more and I'm sure as your experience level accumulates you will send far more enjoyable vision out to us.

Regards,

datkins
12-Sep-11, 05:57 AM
Hi,

Having helped in the past with the process of generating the live feed in a field with no budget, little resources and very busy people I can conform the difficulty of producing the output.

We are always happy to have help form anyone but as race events are scattered over the country and the equipemnt donated, in a field, in the rain with a gale blowing more often than not we do the best thats possible.

All feedback welcome but please bear in mind the constraints we operate under.

David

Keith Oakley
12-Sep-11, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the feedback from downunder. We are continually trying to improve and constructive feedback is helpful. We are working with a number of constraints however:

One is that tv production needs lots of people and in the main we are dependant on whoever is available so that leads to a lot of first time cameramen etc, most of whom do not have photography as a hobby.

Cameras have been an issue but we are gradually building a stock of 10 year old camcorders from ebay that are good for our purpose. We've tried broadcast quality cameras, but they're big, heavy, difficult for novices to drive and rain allergic. A 10 camcorder with good optics is fine for internet quality video, and we don't cry too much when the rain, or a craft, wipes them out.

The uplink to the internet is nothing short of a miracle. As an ex telecoms professional to be able to stream video at 800kbit/sec from a field in the middle of the countryside to destinations around the world for 3.50 a day using a 20 usb dongle from the local supermarket is just incredible. When it occasionally hiccups we need to get it in perspective.

F1 use 27 cameras around the course, plus cameras on cars etc. Typically we use 4 and we're constrained by cable lengths etc as to how we cover the course. Also several of our camera people are under 14 and therefore not allowed on the course. Claydon is always a problem. We can't place cameras on the far land side of the course because of the work involved in digging a cable across the course, and we haven't had any radio linked cameras available this year. Plus the trees make it very difficult to see the whole course. You either see under the trees or get an aircraft/blimp/cherrypicker to go very high above.

I suspect the period you mostly refer to is when we were very badly affected by rain/wind and had only one manned camera operational. With rain coming into the car used as a 'OB van' and a general air of panic at these moments I'm afraid the quality does suffer!

Keith

hoverhead
12-Sep-11, 03:11 PM
G'day Keith,
On the whole, reception here was reasonably good with only a few freezes occurring. Thankyou for not telling me to buzz off as I was trying to frame my comments in a constructive manor and I really do sympathise with the size of the task you have taken on and what you are achieving with the tools at hand.
Do you start your broadcast days with a briefing of the camera operators on what the pan points are and other things relevant to filming the events? I'm just curious.

Actually I'm very interested to know how the events are managed from the insurance issues. We don't have any form of competition here because of it and yet there are other forms of water sport competitions and I don't quite understand what our impediments are (apart from our very small membership).

Regards

Reece,

Keith Oakley
12-Sep-11, 03:59 PM
Hi Reece

Although there's typically 50-60 craft and hundreds of people at our events they've all got things to do so the level of 'coverage preplanning' tends to depend on just whose available and their experience level. At the best end there are briefings, agreements on whose covering which area etc, even coverage maps. At the worst end (often its when I'm in Europe also trying to physically drive the ELS lapscoring system- which is done by a great skilled team of ladies here in UK) its a question of grabbing someone 'to just man a camera for the next race'. Most folk understandably would prefer to be out racing their craft. So for example Jake Cooper was our very experienced video director last weekend but he handed over to someone else for the last 2 races in each session so he could drive in the Open race.

We've been racing in the UK here for over 40 years and there is a good insurance track record, driven largely by the safety regime we've built up. If you want to know know more send an email to our insurance officer Kevin Foster - you'll find him under 'contacts' on the left hand side.

Keith