PDA

View Full Version : SUSSEX hovercrafters

Steve R
26-Sep-11, 01:33 PM
Hi - I recently got 2 hovercrafts and would appreciate any contacts from guys near Sussex to help me get on - Thanks

Steve R
26-Sep-11, 01:34 PM
hi

KipMac
26-Sep-11, 02:54 PM
Sussex is a big place.
Where are you. There are several members in the area who you could contact.
Welcome to our strange world.
Kip

daly5546
26-Sep-11, 03:08 PM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the world of hovercraft. Currently there are 22 Sussex members on our database. Whereabouts are you?

Chris

berniehoo
26-Sep-11, 04:34 PM
i live in redhill,,,, can i help at all

Al
26-Sep-11, 05:32 PM
Hi - I recently got 2 hovercrafts and would appreciate any contacts from guys near Sussex to help me get on - Thanks

What type of hovercraft have you got?

What do you intend doing with them, racing, cruising or just messing around in a field?

Scuba Kev
26-Sep-11, 06:33 PM
I'm also in Eastbourne Sussex and we meet up once a month in Haywards Heath, is normally the first Thursday of each month. A takeaway is decided on the night or is just a pie night, keep an eye out on here for time and place and please come along you are welcome, most of us race or are involved in racing in some way but we do have a few of the cruising croud there so whatever type of hovercrafting you are into or want to do we are all like minded (by that I mean slightly insane! Except Gill she has her own personal straight jacket)
Kev

coles2196/01
26-Sep-11, 07:10 PM
I'm also in Eastbourne Sussex and we meet up once a month in Haywards Heath, is normally the first Thursday of each month. A takeaway is decided on the night or is just a pie night, keep an eye out on here for time and place and please come along you are welcome, most of us race or are involved in racing in some way but we do have a few of the cruising croud there so whatever type of hovercrafting you are into or want to do we are all like minded (by that I mean slightly insane! Except Gill she has her own personal straight jacket)
Kev

Hi Steve, Kev is just mean because he left the room at the AGM and was voted 'Chairman' again! Our next meeting will be on Thursday 6th October at 29 Vale Road, Haywards Heath, RH16 4JF. I will try and get the guys to discuss Firework Night, Christmas AND our infamous AGM (Annual Gourmet Meal)! There will also be chat about who won what during the race season.
As Kev has indicated, we always have a meal (looks like he is aiming for Pie Night again!).

Bob and I live in Brighton and we have a hovercraft in kit form at the moment!

See you on the 6th.

(PS I have not had to use the straight jacket yet!)

hyde4683/01
27-Sep-11, 06:56 PM
Hi am in surrey can help with all spannery things and small test aera pm if any good

Scuba Kev
28-Sep-11, 06:07 AM
Hi am in surrey can help with all spannery things and small test aera pm if any good

Duncan, here is not the place to admit to having loose nuts!

KipMac
28-Sep-11, 07:02 AM
Where have you got to Mr Steve R?
Loads of offers!
Kip

hyde4683/01
28-Sep-11, 07:22 PM
Duncan, here is not the place to admit to having loose nuts!
no but 1 swim or Dunc wotever you want 3 wins from 3 starts 1st time out could have the scuba title ???

Scuba Kev
28-Sep-11, 09:40 PM
I think there is a good competition for the scuba title this year, Daddy Goose twice in one race, was the same lap I think! Tristan and Tony Broad to mention a few.... This I know is going to come back and bite me!! ........am just going to find the scuba gear

Scuba Kev
29-Sep-11, 06:26 AM
(PS I have not had to use the straight jacket yet!)

Long overdue!:p

Steve R
4-Oct-11, 11:31 PM
Hi Steve,

Welcome to the world of hovercraft. Currently there are 22 Sussex members on our database. Whereabouts are you?

Chris

I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you all but I have been away. I am back now and in the Worthing area. I am not totally sure what I will do with them yet as I need to rebuild them firstly but will probably cruise them and/or use them in a field if I can find anywhere to do that? I'd like to join in on Thursday 6th so hope to see you then . Many thanks for all your messages cheers Steve

coles2196/01
5-Oct-11, 01:27 PM
I am sorry for taking so long to get back to you all but I have been away. I am back now and in the Worthing area. I am not totally sure what I will do with them yet as I need to rebuild them firstly but will probably cruise them and/or use them in a field if I can find anywhere to do that? I'd like to join in on Thursday 6th so hope to see you then . Many thanks for all your messages cheers Steve

OK - It is a traditional 'Twig' Pie Night - hoping to see you. Bring pics of your craft if you can!

searle5077
5-Oct-11, 05:50 PM

Hi Steve,

I'm in Haywards Heath.

Do you have cruising craft?

Worthing is a great area for cruising, or rather, it was a great area for cruising...
You maybe aware that your local public slip is at Goring (slightly east of the Sea Lanes Cafe). However, this area is policed by foreshore officers and by-laws dictate no powered vehicles can operate on the beach. Therefore the way around the by-law is to trolley your craft to the waters edge and then launch, but the conditions that best suit hovercraft here is low tide. Consequently that makes for an exhausting effort pulling your craft over the sand. This presumes your craft is small enough to fit under the height restriction governing access to the slip. It also defeats the advantage of being amphibious. There's nothing to prevent a high tide launch but you'll be at the mercy of the sea state...

Along the coast is Shoreham which is a great harbour to launch from, or rather, it was a great harbour to launch from... After a few years of happily launching from Shoreham the Harbour Master declined to receive harbour dues payment with an inexplicable statement that by-laws prohibit the operation of hovercraft. Note; the few of us that occasionally used Shoreham were not made aware of any complaints against us that may have caused prejudice.

To the west there's Bognor and to my delight there's no prejudice here, indeed hovercraft are most welcome. The slip is a managed site, there is a launch fee and insurance is mandatory. They prefer you hold some basic RYA qualifications (I believe they have their own RYA instructors should you require training). Your craft will need to display some sort of registration e.g. an SSR number is probably the most widely recognised. If you've all of the aforementioned in place then Bognor is a great place to cruise, you'll need to comply with the regulation to operate at least 300yds out to sea, again this is policed by foreshore officers...

I hope that this doesn't discourage you from cruising. In addition to Bognor I go all over the place nationally (and occasionally internationally) and thoroughly enjoy it...

Cheers
Chris.

coles2196/01
7-Oct-11, 09:16 PM
Hi Steve,

I'm in Haywards Heath.

Worthing is a great area for cruising, or rather, it was a great area for cruising...
You maybe aware that your local public slip is at Goring (slightly east of the Sea Lanes Cafe). However, this area is policed by foreshore officers and by-laws dictate no powered vehicles can operate on the beach. Therefore the way around the by-law is to trolley your craft to the waters edge and then launch, but the conditions that best suit hovercraft here is low tide. Consequently that makes for an exhausting effort pulling your craft over the sand. This presumes your craft is small enough to fit under the height restriction governing access to the slip. It also defeats the advantage of being amphibious. There's nothing to prevent a high tide launch but you'll be at the mercy of the sea state...

Along the coast is Shoreham which is a great harbour to launch from, or rather, it was a great harbour to launch from... After a few years of happily launching from Shoreham the Harbour Master declined to receive harbour dues payment with an inexplicable statement that by-laws prohibit the operation of hovercraft. Note; the few of us that occasionally used Shoreham were not made aware of any complaints against us that may have caused prejudice.

To the west there's Bognor and to my delight there's no prejudice here, indeed hovercraft are most welcome. The slip is a managed site, there is a launch fee and insurance is mandatory. They prefer you hold some basic RYA qualifications (I believe they have their own RYA instructors should you require training). Your craft will need to display some sort of registration e.g. an SSR number is probably the most widely recognised. If you've all of the aforementioned in place then Bognor is a great place to cruise, you'll need to comply with the regulation to operate at least 300yds out to sea, again this is policed by foreshore officers...

I hope that this doesn't discourage you from cruising. In addition to Bognor I go all over the place nationally (and occasionally internationally) and thoroughly enjoy it...

Cheers
Chris.

Chris - come to the Twig meetings if you can (the next one is Firework Night for 5 per head - children welcome) and you can have a longer chat!!!

searle5077
8-Oct-11, 05:10 PM
Chris - come to the Twig meetings if you can (the next one is Firework Night for 5 per head - children welcome) and you can have a longer chat!!!

Hi Gill/Bob and a quick hello to all fellow twiggers. I'll be there with kids and sparklers.
Cheers
Chris

Steve R
11-Oct-11, 11:59 AM
Hi Chris - thanks for the info -- like to chat more...hoprefully will if we both can get to the firework night ...many thanks again Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm in Haywards Heath.

Cheers
Chris.