PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Classroom - Hovercraft Needed!

Vimanahover
1-Dec-11, 11:09 AM
Firstly just to say 'Hello' to everyone!
I'm Ross and I live north of Andover in Hampshire... I've always been interested in transport technology - Spacecraft, Helicopters, and Hovercraft! and as a kid in the early 60's I remember flying on the SR-N2 to the Isle of Wight and back with my parents...

I work in Outdoor Education at a site near Linkenholt on the north hampshire downs - next Friday 9th of December we're holding an openday for Head teachers and Heads of departments to promote some new activities during 2012 for young people from Schools across Wiltshire, Berkshire and North Hampshire.
One of the activities is to support "Design Technology" so next spring we will be some building model hovercraft, (I've joined the Model Hovercraft Assoc' and had a great day with them at Cheltenham recently).
On the 9th I want promote aswell HCGB's Hovercraft Challenge to Youth Project ...
Can any members help me out and bring a working quiet'ish 4stroke Hovercraft they can operate and give a ride or two?
Linkenholt Countryside Adventure is owned by a reg charity but I can come up with expenses for travel, fuel etc. Theres also plenty of space in our field next to the centre operate - the grass is short enough.
My phone no is 01264 731 281, thanks Ross

Jon Pert
1-Dec-11, 11:18 AM
Welcome! http://www.jonrb.com/emoticons/wavey.gif

Thanks for helping to promote the Challenge to Youth. Do you need any extra flyers??

You're not too far from me but unfortunately I am in Ireland that day!!

Good luck and I hope you find some volunteers!

daly5546
1-Dec-11, 11:52 AM
Kevin and I have volunteered to take two craft with gazebo and banners down to the event. It is an ideal platform for the youth project.

Please can we have more volunteers?

Thanks

Chris

datkins
1-Dec-11, 10:44 PM
sorry but good luck sounds like an interesting day

Del Smart
2-Dec-11, 08:13 PM
Hi Chris

I'm moving house on Wednesday but should be free Friday if you need a hand. I will be in Northampton if you fancy sharing transport costs.

Let me know what you think and I will fit in where possible

Del

waddel4958/A
5-Dec-11, 09:33 AM
Welcome Ross,

You couldn`t have picked a better year to be promoting this fantastic activity to young people,definitely pushing on an open door! You`ve just got to convince those curriculum bound heads that education is a lot bigger than a classroom!

We at Cullompton Community College would have loved to have come and helped you sell the idea; there`s several kids here who would talk all day about the unique benefits of running a competitive hovercraft team within the well organised and caring community that is the HCGB.

Sadly, on this occasion we are unable to help but if ever you want to come down to Devon to see what a school based hovercraft club looks like and discuss any of the practical difficulties in sustaining such an activity you would be very welcome.

Best of luck for Friday!

Jim Waddell - technology teacher, Cullompton Community College

daly5546
10-Dec-11, 05:11 AM
Ross made us very welcome at Linkenholt.
Coffee and food was plentiful.
We had an indoor display of pictures on display boards (supplied by Conrad) and leaflets available with two hovercraft just outside the door to give rides and discussion.
Several of the attendees took 8-10 leaflets each to circulate round their schools and there were a couple of Scout District Commissioners who were very interested.

There should be a return event in the Spring and Del, Kevin and I all said we would like to attend.

ps. One of the Trustees of the site lives next to Towcester Race Course.

Chris