PDA

View Full Version : Nottingham Hoverfest

Hovertrekker
3-Jan-12, 09:04 PM
Hi,
Is the actual start date of this event June 6, or is there something going on prior to the 6th? I seem to recall something going on the 1st or 2nd. Maybe it got changed from the preliminary dates?

Thanks!!

Keith Oakley
3-Jan-12, 09:13 PM
Happy New Year Dave!
It starts with a UK national (all welcome) on sat 2nd - mon 5th June, then all sorts of events midweek then closes with a European Race meeting on sat 9th & sun 10th. All based on one site just outside the city of Nottingham - Robin Hood and all that.
But I'm sure one of the organisers will be along shortly with more info!
Keith

Hovertrekker
3-Jan-12, 11:10 PM
Happy New Year Dave!
It starts with a UK national (all welcome) on sat 2nd - mon 5th June, then all sorts of events midweek then closes with a European Race meeting on sat 9th & sun 10th. All based on one site just outside the city of Nottingham - Robin Hood and all that.
But I'm sure one of the organisers will be along shortly with more info!
Keith

Hi Keith! That's what I was thinking. Had a look at the diary and confirmed. The bulletin from Tony Drake doesn't mention the UK national meeting, just the Hoverfest from the 6th onward. To me it's all one big hoverfest! If I can make it to any of the events I'll be happy.

rhodes5577
6-Jan-12, 05:39 PM
Hi Dave and all.

seasons greetings and lets hope for a pain and crash free 2012!

as Keith O advised there is a UK national round 2nd to 4th June (3 day bank hol event as some members might not be able to take the queens extra day bank hol on the 5th)

for those who decide to stay for the 5th - and/or throughout the week we are putting on speed trials, hovercross, an endurance race, a criuse off site and some non hover entertainment like sailing lesssons for under 16's, a lads and dad's ( girls and mums as well) assult course, under 16's dragon racing if we can get a minimum of 16 participants, a cycle ride into Nottingham (2.5 miles on level cycle paths and a few roads mostly local roads low traffic levels) to see the Nottingham castle, the trip to jerusalem (the oldest pub in the world its claimed - ghosts caves and all sorts of historical legends). A live band called the score ( many members have seen them before)will be entertaining all across the road at the regatta centre one evening along with a BBQ event.
we may well lay on a stage on site for "entertainment by members own bands" as we do have some superstars in our midst! http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/images/icons/icon12.png
Midlands branch are hatching some other features as well to make it a great weeks holiday for those who can spend half term with their kids ( and put up with other club members for a whole 9 days!!!)
then on the 9th and 10th a full on EHF event.
those who need to leave following the UK round but want to return for the EHF can leave their vans craft whatever pitched up as the site will be reasonably secure at all times and locked from 11.00 pm until 07.00 each night.
One member and her worse half will be celebrating a special day during this week and have already extended an invitation to those who will be there to join them in their celebration ( bring your own booze!) LOL!!

I am hoping many of our good friends in Europe and from further afield might be able to make a holiday of this and come over to join in the UK round as well as all the rest of the events.

I hope this sounds attractive to you and all who read this and that you can try your best to come along and join in.
If any one has any questions about the event do please feel free to PM me or start a thread which i will pick up on (eventually!)

kind regards to all.
Keith Rhodes

carlathomas
6-Jan-12, 07:05 PM
That all sounds great Keith. We're really looking forward to all of it.

Are you by any chance able to organise an electric hookup for the 8 nights, like we had at the Worlds?

datkins
6-Jan-12, 08:57 PM
is any one going to post this in the us facebook page etc?

rhodes5577
7-Jan-12, 10:00 AM
I am quite not sure yet if funds will be available for hook up as we would need to hire in a site generator.
the site has no utilities connected at all.
its high up on the wish list though.

feel free to put vthis event out on face book copying all that was set out above and anywhere else you feel interest might be drawn to the event

Jon Pert
7-Jan-12, 03:25 PM
Probably missed it but are there showers?

carlathomas
8-Jan-12, 08:23 AM
We would be happy to pay extra for a hookup Keith. We did for the Towcester Worlds and quite a lot of others did too. I think that Ross was involved in sorting and providing it.

If not possible then we'll make sure that our jenny is working properly. :D

I am quite not sure yet if funds will be available for hook up as we would need to hire in a site generator.
the site has no utilities connected at all.
its high up on the wish list though.

feel free to put vthis event out on face book copying all that was set out above and anywhere else you feel interest might be drawn to the event

datkins
8-Jan-12, 09:03 AM
Posted on UK and US facebook group pages, leaving other sites to others! the more we share like and other wise promote it the better

Al
8-Jan-12, 10:57 AM
Probably missed it but are there showers?

Probably not, as it say not untilities connected on site.

carlathomas
8-Jan-12, 12:47 PM
Here's what Keith wrote about facilities in an earlier thread:

NWSC have offered us in principle the free use of their excellent facilities with the exception of hotel rooms and the bar where they do expect payment!
Anyone with a race meeting wrist band on may use all their changing, shower and general fascilites, cafeteria etc and they will both support and assist us in making a joint application for a combined major event.

It's on this thread:

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/showthread.php?24863-the-big-lake-June-2012-update-sept-edition&p=75077#post75077

Jon Pert
8-Jan-12, 02:25 PM
Cheers Carla, I thought something could be organised with the NWSC.

Must get round to merging the threads at some point unless anyone wants to volunteer to look after the forum from now on???

loopy
9-Jan-12, 07:02 AM
ref electric hook ups, the cost to do this at WHC2010 was probably considerably cheaper as it would be on this site as we did not have to bring generators etc on site to achieve it. Ross and Rob Cooper were indeed the manpower behind it all.

rhodes5577
10-Jan-12, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

spot on with the facilities acrioss the road from Monday 4th onwards.

From last nights midlands branch meeting we feel that there will be sufficent demand for hook up to hire in a big generator and cables - but there is going to be a charge of probably 20.00 per unit or hook up into the power feeds for the whole 9 days. We will have to take a view on those who will not be there all the time on a lowe charge.
There will be some rules too about multiple feeds off one hook up!! this will not be permitted! If we have to put out significant cost and risk to lay this on I expect all who use it to contribute fairly! Thats not unreasonable is it?

Shortly we will be setting up an advance booking page to allow people to "register their intent" so we can get some sort of handle on numbers and demands for power.

I have a meeting with Notts County Council next week to get direction from the SAG team ( special events action group) and will then finalize the whole event.
the next month should see this all get sorted out and a programme released.

wcastendijk
10-Jan-12, 07:07 PM
Is there a plan or Google maps/earth pointing where the campers are and the other stuff happens?
Just nosy here!

wouter

Hi all,

From last nights midlands branch meeting we feel that there will be sufficent demand for hook up to hire in a big generator and cables - but there is going to be a charge of probably 20.00 per unit or hook up into the power feeds for the whole 9 days. We will have to take a view on those who will not be there all the time on a lowe charge.
There will be some rules too about multiple feeds off one hook up!! this will not be permitted! If we have to put out significant cost and risk to lay this on I expect all who use it to contribute fairly! Thats not unreasonable is it?

Shortly we will be setting up an advance booking page to allow people to "register their intent" so we can get some sort of handle on numbers and demands for power.

I have a meeting with Notts County Council next week to get direction from the SAG team ( special events action group) and will then finalize the whole event.

Brian G. Reynolds
10-Jan-12, 09:31 PM
Top work Keith et al!

All very impressive from where I sit!

Totally and absolutely agree about the fair play!

Keep up the good work, very much appreciated!

B.

carlathomas
10-Jan-12, 10:11 PM
Excellent news on the hookup Keith. Well done. You've definitely got one customer! :D

Hi all,

garagewayne
11-Jan-12, 08:40 AM
Excellent news on the hookup Keith. Well done. You've definitely got one customer! :D
And another

rhodes5577
11-Jan-12, 05:06 PM
Wouter,

I do have a site plan and a course marked up on it- but its at work and its in need of updating anyway!
If you google the national water sports centre at Nottingham UK, locate the main building and car park on that location then scroll due south across the road, on the other side is one big goddam lake! over 100 acres (wots that in metric!) water and slightly more land.
Hence the adopted site name the big lake!
Heres a picture of the camping area.
Notice the wonderful toilet block, on site supermarket, health spa and pub -not!

dont worry - facilities are all in hand - we are partnering with the regatta centre who will permit us to use their fantastic facilities (from Monday PM 4th - due to a major event they have on the 2nd to 4th)

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/asset.php?fid=6097&uid=5939&d=1314028253

daly5546
11-Jan-12, 06:00 PM
[QUOTE=rhodes5577;75744]Wouter,

over 100 acres (wots that in metric!)!

Approx 40 Hectares

wcastendijk
11-Jan-12, 07:25 PM
That would be over 40 hectare!

Is that the lake where the races are? If I remember well, there was a camping area on the side of the road. Is that where we camp? Or is there a campsite at the NWSC, inside their gates?

Looking forward to it, I try to be there Friday to help out with the last stuff.

Thanks for the reply,
Wouter
A bit east of your island

Wouter,

I do have a site plan and a course marked up on it- but its at work and its in need of updating anyway!
If you google the national water sports centre at Nottingham UK, locate the main building and car park on that location then scroll due south across the road, on the other side is one big goddam lake! over 100 acres (wots that in metric!) water and slightly more land.
Hence the adopted site name the big lake!
Heres a picture of the camping area.
Notice the wonderful toilet block, on site supermarket, health spa and pub -not!

dont worry - facilities are all in hand - we are partnering with the regatta centre who will permit us to use their fantastic facilities (from Monday PM 4th - due to a major event they have on the 2nd to 4th)

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/asset.php?fid=6097&uid=5939&d=1314028253