PDA

View Full Version : Hoverboard idea

danielbob
12-Mar-12, 04:31 PM
Hi people,

New to the forums and I have my own spin on the hoverboard idea, for which I need some advice/guidance.

The idea is 30cc leaf blower powered. Twin Lilly-pad design which are attached by a joint that allows each pad to twist relative for each other to accommodate some forum of steering. Pond lining for skirting. The air flow from the leaf blower is split into two (for each Lilly-pad) but in the Y-junction piece (that's what I'm calling it) would have a computer controlled flow diverted. The inputs would be that once you took your foot off a Lilly pad to push yourself along, the flow would be diverted completely into the the other pad which has all the weight.

As I said, is only a crackpot twist on a common project but any help would be gratefully received!

Cheers

Dan

broad5186
12-Mar-12, 07:33 PM
good luck with it - try to reduce weight where you can, ripstop nylon as used on kites or yacht sails is cheap and a hell of a lot lighter and importantly less friction than pond liner, some of us have used it on full size racing craft

i honestly think you'll struggle to get sufficient lift and something left for direction from a 30cc leaf blower, the larger the area of the lilly pads the less pressure they will need to lift

i'd prove the concept manually or even with a model before thinking of anything computer controlled

keep us posted

tony

danielbob
12-Mar-12, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the reply. The leaf blower would only be powering the lift element. directional control would come from leaning and friction coming from the pond liner (and possibly from some skateboard grip tape stuck to it) scrapping the ground, in theory anyway.

i think the concept would need to go through a couple of evolutions before becoming remotely useable as at the moment, the lilly pads would be made from MDF so that the pond liner could be stapled easily.

Al
12-Mar-12, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. The leaf blower would only be powering the lift element. directional control would come from leaning and friction coming from the pond liner (and possibly from some skateboard grip tape stuck to it) scrapping the ground, in theory anyway.

i think the concept would need to go through a couple of evolutions before becoming remotely useable as at the moment, the lilly pads would be made from MDF so that the pond liner could be stapled easily.

A lighter material than MDF would be a high density foam with glassfibre cloth. It would be very light compared to MDF. easy to cut and make the lily pads and any other parts that need to be fabricated. Big downside would be cost compared to MDF.

The skirt really needs to remain flexible, so the lighter material such as rip stop as mentioned above. Thicker / heavier material will not conform to uneven ground as well and will wear out much quicker because of this. " Don't ask how I know":(.

Anyway good luck with the project

It's high density foam you need, not normal insulation foam or polystyrene as the resin would disolve it.

What part of the country do you live?

danielbob
12-Mar-12, 08:11 PM
Im from Kent. The main thing I'm worried about is the whole "Y connector/diverter" system but ill try to find some maths so that i can model the idea before going too far into it.

Keith Oakley
12-Mar-12, 09:50 PM
You need to calculate the cushion pressure first. The target should be around 10-15lbs/sqft. ie each sq ft of cushion is lifting 10-15lbs. So two pads each say 3 feet square would be about 18 sqft in total. At 10lbs sqft that would be 180lbs it could lift - total weight of engine, hull and payload. We would normally use an engine of at least 100cc so 30 might be marginal. Tilting the craft will only produce a very small thrust so this will only work on an absolutely flat and smooth tarmac or concrete surface. An early pioneer in '68 used a foot propelled craft on water using flipper like devices under his shoes but it will not go over hump on water so unless you want to get very wet I'd stick to land!
But hey give it a go - suggest you make the simplest hull/skirt first then see if it will lift your weight. Putting all your weight on one pad might 'overpressure' it with the result it 'goes aground'. I'm also in Kent
Keith