PDA

View Full Version : MOT type tests for trailers and caravans

Scuba Kev
18-Jun-12, 07:47 PM
A friend on mine his wife works for the department of transport and they are in the process of thrashing out the details of MOT type testing for trailers and caravans, don't know when its coming in, but it is!

Best get the double trailer scraped and the new one built!

Fishionado
19-Jun-12, 10:14 AM
..which will undoubtedly precede road tax for trailers and caravans...I was wondering when they'd realise there was soemthign that wasn't legislated or taxed that they'd overlooked.

then it'll be licensing and taxing boats....

Philip
20-Jun-12, 08:25 AM
"then it'll be licensing and taxing boats...."

Already being discussed over here, along with mandatory basic training.

I've seen the drafts for the trailer laws and while not extreme they will cost everybody money.

rhodes5577
20-Jun-12, 08:13 PM
well they didn't overlook tax on sex

our rubber friend comes with a dash of VAT if i am correct? :)

garagewayne
20-Jun-12, 08:29 PM
"Capel Garage, Cars, Bike and trailer MOT's" got a nice ring to it (the sound of my till)

Bring it on

Fishionado
20-Jun-12, 11:30 PM
"Capel Garage, Cars, Bike and trailer MOT's" got a nice ring to it (the sound of my till)

Bring it on
Mercenary!

Winst
21-Jun-12, 06:10 AM

Bring it on

Lots of discount (100%) for hover club members ;)

Keith Lovell
21-Jun-12, 08:35 AM
So would this mean us having to actually check the trailer beyond just seeing in the mirrors its still following us?

What n spoil all the fun of the lottery of whether it gets us there and back?

The other prob will be loading of trailers, Max permisable weight. Most hovercraft trailers do not have a makers plate with loading figures.

Then we will have the law checking if we have Cat E on our liscence to tow braked trailers.

Its never ending bureaucracy!!!!

Fact: -The law on the continent regarding minibuses is that you need a full PSV to drive one.
1000ish cost of course and test.

As a teenager in my class once said "its so unfair"

Keith @ a place of education

coles2196/01
21-Jun-12, 08:12 PM
So would this mean us having to actually check the trailer beyond just seeing in the mirrors its still following us?

What n spoil all the fun of the lottery of whether it gets us there and back?

The other prob will be loading of trailers, Max permisable weight. Most hovercraft trailers do not have a makers plate with loading figures.

Then we will have the law checking if we have Cat E on our liscence to tow braked trailers.

Its never ending bureaucracy!!!!

Fact: -The law on the continent regarding minibuses is that you need a full PSV to drive one.
1000ish cost of course and test.

As a teenager in my class once said "its so unfair"

Keith @ a place of education

What! I presume that was you!!! Because if not, then you have an incredibly unique lot of teenagers!!!

KevinT
22-Jun-12, 12:04 PM
A friend on mine his wife works for the department of transport and they are in the process of thrashing out the details of MOT type testing for trailers and caravans, don't know when its coming in, but it is!

Well there was overwhelming response to the online petition earlier this year:

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/216

Nick Drew
25-Jun-12, 03:40 PM
It's not all bad..... Yes it will cost money which is bad, very bad. But I have seen some appalling towing practices in the past.

There are a lot of bodged up crap trailers, overloaded or badly loaded trailers and vehicles which are clearly pulling too much weight. How many of us actually know the permissible towing weight for the vehicle they tow with? Not that many I would guess.

So, whilst I am very much against more annoying expensive tests and legislation, it will have the advantage of reducing the number of potential death inducing trailer disasters.

Nick