PDA

View Full Version : Irish International Cruise 2012

daly5546
14-Aug-12, 07:02 PM
To all those who missed out on this trip, you should seriously consider a 10 day hovercraft trip covering some 800km of fantastic loughs, rivers and sea.

To those who are not members of the HCGB......neither are the Irish guys. It is they who created this excursion.

The people we met and the sights we saw along the way were great.

The hospitality, warmth and sociability of a landlord, a traveler woman, a farmer, a University professor are what makes some of the tales of this trip.

David, Tim and Lynn, and Philip were excellent hosts and guides through the maze of the Irish land.

I will put up some of the highlights and pictures over the next few days.

Chris

David Ryan
14-Aug-12, 09:57 PM
Thanks Chris.
This was the 5th Irish International Cruise and this year we decided that wewould make it international, both by the make up of participants and by hovering across the national border into Fermanagh in the UK. The areas hovered included:
Lough Ree
Lough Key
Glencar Lake
Lough McNean (international section)
Lough Allen
Lough Gill
Tralee Bay
River Shannon
River Suck.
As well as a number of smaller lakes.

For those of you who may not have heard of this cruise before, I can only tell you that it is the most laid back cuising that you will ever do. We take a very easy approach to time. The reaction of the locals has to be seen to be believed. One Traveller woman handed over the keys to her property so that we could more easily retrieve the crafts. @just leave the keys on top of the wall when you're finished' she said as she left for home. At the same place, a local publican gave us free use of his barn for camping. He regularilly does this for bikers, cyclists, walkers etc.

Here is a list of some of the highlights over the yers:
I've been thinking back over the 5 years history of this cruise, how it has grown and some of the characters that we have met. The 1st year was just a long weekend playing around on Lough Derg. This was also the only time that Derg behaved itself. This year we started in Leitrim, hovered over the border to Fermanagh, and covered all the counties down to Kerry in the far south of the country. The winds on Derg this year were 5-7, so we had to give it a miss and carried on to Tralee.

Memories over the years would have to include:

Irish, British and Dutch participants,
Bearded goat,
The meeting of the chairmen,
Traveller women and the aeronautonics professor,
Camping in a barn at the back of Lukers Bar,
Winding Jake up,
Lazy mornings and afternoon starts,
Masses of food produced at 2am by Mary,
Poachers helping to load craft,
A craft loosing 1 complete side of its skirting and still being driven back to the slip,
1/2 price camping because the son was given a jaunt around Lough Ree,
128 km in a day,
Visiting a museum,
Looking at the facinated faces of visitors seeing their first Gaelic football game,
Late night chats,
The sheer variety of craft taking part,
Mad German in a golf cart,
700km,
The craic and the tiredness,
Mary, Lin and Tim,
etc etc etc

Philip
15-Aug-12, 07:47 AM
Due to very small d'interwebby pipe I cant' post much video, this bridge was low and the water flow and wind strong. This was on the way back from a trip out along the bay. How far can aVortex go on a full tank?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QW5skNGMpA&list=UUdSsRETBAowjOBxiKVMATag&index=1&feature=plcp

daly5546
15-Aug-12, 07:53 AM
Brilliant shots.

On the fly-by I asked Becky to stand up with her head at Duct height to see if we would fit under.

We had a good six inches to spare at 'over the hump' height. The flow was probably the hardest challenge.

The craft looks good with full running lights on.

Chris

Keith Oakley
15-Aug-12, 09:25 AM
Great tuitional on how to judge bridge heights! Heartstopping stuff under the bridge - I was waiting for the bang as the duct made contact!
Keith

Philip
15-Aug-12, 09:48 AM
The operator of this craft did not achive the required number of credits in this assessment and is therefor referred. However it is possible after appeal to the Appeals Board to apply to attempt the module at a later date .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNYbZfYyOQ&list=UUdSsRETBAowjOBxiKVMATag&index=1&feature=plcp

Philip
15-Aug-12, 09:49 AM
Great tuitional on how to judge bridge heights! Heartstopping stuff under the bridge - I was waiting for the bang as the duct made contact!
Keith

At least the height was marked on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0VT_64_ZSI

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 10:09 AM
'The operator of this craft did not achive the required number of credits in this assessment and is therefor referred. However it is possible after appeal to the Appeals Board to apply to attempt the module at a later date .'

All appeals must be accompanied by a bottle of red lemonade dilutant.;)

Philip
15-Aug-12, 10:54 AM
Caption???

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 11:22 AM
Caption?

Who parked that?

daly5546
15-Aug-12, 11:34 AM
'She's a little nose light!!!'

Chris

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 11:42 AM
Thats what happens when you use the 'mother of all lift engines'.

Keith Oakley
15-Aug-12, 12:06 PM
Hovercraft attempts to do a Usain Bolt.
Keith

Fishionado
15-Aug-12, 12:55 PM
The operator of this craft did not achive the required number of credits in this assessment and is therefor referred. However it is possible after appeal to the Appeals Board to apply to attempt the module at a later date .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oNYbZfYyOQ&list=UUdSsRETBAowjOBxiKVMATag&index=1&feature=plcp

To be fair, thats a pretty reasonable bit of driving - who borrowed Daly's face? :p

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 01:15 PM
Hi Russ,
The certification program is an ongoing joke between some of the regular attendies. They come up with reasons as to why they should be certified in any aspect of hovering, and Phill and I come up with reasons as to why it should not be issued. An application for reverse parking onto a beach was turned down because the driver only turned through 170 degrees and not the full 180.;)
Its all part of the craic.

daly5546
15-Aug-12, 01:35 PM
And I thought all the work was serious!!!!!!!

Chris

Philip
15-Aug-12, 01:40 PM
Hi Russ,
The certification program is an ongoing joke between some of the regular attendies. They come up with reasons as to why they should be certified in any aspect of hovering, and Phill and I come up with reasons as to why it should not be issued. An application for reverse parking onto a beach was turned down because the driver only turned through 170 degrees and not the full 180.;)
Its all part of the craic.

An application has been lodged for certification in the module for the Weir of 4 F's. that's the F***ing Weir of F***ing UnF***ingbelievable F***ing Respect not that little thing you see on the Rhone Raid videos. I'm supporting this as I was an eyewitness to the Vortex in the vortex.

Last year most people attained certification in the module The Weir of Little respect but circumstances meant we did not get that far this year.

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 01:50 PM
I am sorry. But as the chairman of the IHC was scoffing poached haddock at the time and the driver in question was having problems pronouncing the name of the town where it supposedly happened (leading to doubts as to where he actually was at the time), this request for certification is hereby rejected.

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 01:58 PM
This is the lock in question.

http://www.hovercraft.org.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6474&d=1345039067&thumb=1&stc=1

daly5546
15-Aug-12, 03:39 PM
We jumped up the bit on the right and then found a barrier so we had to come down again.

Jake was at the controls and I was the ballast!

:cool:

Chris

David Ryan
15-Aug-12, 08:04 PM
A definite NO then. IHC rules are that you go upthe white bit.

cooper5204/1
15-Aug-12, 09:26 PM
A definite NO then. IHC rules are that you go upthe white bit.

It was white with brown bits in!

Philip
15-Aug-12, 09:55 PM
Heres one I took earlier :),

Philip
16-Aug-12, 09:14 PM
Bit of a haze here still, can somebody confirm that in the whole cruise we only visted ONE pub??

daly5546
17-Aug-12, 05:18 AM
That is technically correct!!!!!

Chris

Al
17-Aug-12, 06:49 AM
Bit of a haze here still, can somebody confirm that in the whole cruise we only visted ONE pub??

Trouble is you all stayed there for the entire week:D

David Ryan
17-Aug-12, 08:24 AM
RE: IHC Certification:

The IHC is pleased to announce that the following have been awarded the coveted and prestigious Certificate of Achievement for the unique border crossing from Ireland to the UK:

Philip Blennerhasset,
Jake Cooper,
Becky Cooper,
Chris Daly.

These names have been entered into the IHC Hall of Fame and will forever be remembered. Ballads will be written in thier honour and a statue will be erected at the exact spot where the crossing occured.

David Ryan
IHC
Chairman.

Philip
17-Aug-12, 05:03 PM
Trouble is you all stayed there for the entire week:D

Not quite, but it is technically correct that we were on the premises for 12 hours:confused: BTW there are three tents in the pic:confused:

Philip
13-Mar-13, 08:53 PM
Remember Lukers? Passed that way today and they were giving it a powerwash, Also there's now a door on his shed. Water level in the river was quite a lot lower than last July!!!

daly5546
14-Mar-13, 04:37 AM
We will not recognise it.

Who has stolen all the water?

Not long until July!!!!

Chris