PDA

View Full Version : Prospector Engine

Hoverbat
27-Aug-12, 04:51 PM
Hi, has anyone toyed with the idea of fitting a different engine to a Prospector? It seems to be getting ever more expensive to get a soob engine that hasn't been thrashed or done a very high mileage. I just wondered if a rover K series engine would fit the bill as it is quite short and all aluminium, I realise that head gaskets can be a problem but the upgraded one can soon fix that.

Keith Oakley
28-Aug-12, 08:10 AM
Why not -the Rover engine is used in the 6 seat craft widely used by Swedish children to go to school, postmen, taxis etc. The craft is built by Magnus Ivanoff to a Bill Baker design. I believe there were considerable lessons learnt in how to do the engine management wiring etc - contact Bill Baker (see manufacturer ads) for more info. Why not go the whole hog and fit a modern diesel engine? - they've moved on a long way in the last few years. The subaru is a bit old - I first fitted one to a 4 seater in '83 and it was old then. Having said that engine management on an older engine is easier, as long as you've at least got electronic ignition - contact breaker points do not like our salty/dusty environment.

Keith

Hoverbat
28-Aug-12, 10:57 AM
The problem with modern diesel engines is that they are every bit as complicated as petrols. To get a light weight one it needs to be quite modern and then you are into common rail territory. I trained as a diesel engineer and the days of working on a diesel without a laptop are long gone. I know that the option to run on red diesel is quite appealing but I suppose you could blend the petrol with ethanol to cut the cost.