PDA

View Full Version : Caution one way valve

the goose
28-Apr-13, 10:18 AM
Just as a warning to all that have fitted the new one way valve to comply with the new rules, we have them fitted and found that the fuel tank becomes highly pressurised over a short time left in workshop this can only get worse out in direct sunlight. In my eyes this is more dangerous than a craft spilling a small amount of fuel if it rolls durin a race.instead we have a padock full of pertol bombs, comments please.

sweetm2369
28-Apr-13, 11:06 AM
I think you need a bit more than just a one way valve!
Think this may do the job!
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p3556/ROLL-OVER-VALVE-1/4-X-6JIC/product_info.html

Hope this helps?
Derek

Fred Wilson
28-Apr-13, 04:00 PM
Just as a warning to all that have fitted the new one way valve to comply with the new rules, we have them fitted and found that the fuel tank becomes highly pressurised over a short time left in workshop this can only get worse out in direct sunlight. In my eyes this is more dangerous than a craft spilling a small amount of fuel if it rolls durin a race.instead we have a padock full of pertol bombs, comments please.

I couldn’t agree more; I had the same problems last year and removed the valve because fuel was being forced out the carbs, I did mention it to a couple of people but it seems I was the only one having a problem.

What Derek has suggested would solve the problems I had, but would not meet the rule wording I think.

Fishionado
30-Apr-13, 04:11 PM
In my eyes this is more dangerous than a craft spilling a small amount of fuel if it rolls durin a race.instead we have a padock full of pertol bombs, comments please.

We've had that conversation as well. I agree completely with you. An ill thought out rule in my opinion.

garagewayne
30-Apr-13, 04:36 PM
A loop of fuel tubing would be just as effective, and likely to build up less pressure in the exteme summer heat

Scuba Kev
5-May-13, 09:09 AM

If you have a valve that is doing this then it's not doing what its supposed to do! I don't have any problem with the one I have fitted, raced with it for all of last year, it's open all the time so there never is any build up of pressure in the tank or carbs, it only closes when inverted or if it is on its side where the fuel pressure on the back of it pushes the valve closed...

this is what I use

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KTM-Factory-Fuel-Tank-Cap-Vent-/190657702290?pt=Apparel_Merchandise&hash=item2c6415a992&vxp=mtr#ht_376wt_904

got mine from a motorbike dearler in Crawley P&H motorbikes and are about £8