Thread: Magazine News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Magazine News

<font color="purple">An idea was recently suggested to address the problem of the magazine arriving late in the month of issue, we're well aware of problems this can cause with calendar sensitive issues in particular

so what we've done is to drop Feb magazine (in name only) (don't worry you'll still get 12 mags a year)so March 06 will arrive towards the end of February and so on which is in-line with most monthly publications.

The other option was to put out two magazines in one month which had issues with printing costs and also getting 2 months worth of material to go in the magazine, we struggle to get enough for one edition most times, that's why it's often late !

It also means that race organisers etc. will need to have their calendar sensitive info to us at least 6 weeks prior to the month of release

I welcome your comments on this [/COLOR]

Tony Broad - Deputy Editor Light hovercraft Magazine

Default Re: Magazine News

If you are ever in desperate need to get the mag out, send it to me, shure I am in South Africa, but the family has a printers and will gladley stop everything just to get the mag out in time.

Not that you would, but at least I have offered my services anyway.

feelin kinda good now.

Tony,

If I understand this right, you are not missing an issue, just advancing the names they go under.

So next one out will be called March and the copy deadline is about now? I have a small snippet to send you if you have room.

Nick

Hi Nick

the next one will be March magazine and recently went to the printers the deadline was 15th of this month (Jan) - so your welcomed snippet would now appear in Aprils' magazine, please send it to the usual address magazine&#64;hovercraft.org.uk

another suggestion was to maybe have a space on this board for people to leave stuff for the magazine - good idea/bad idea ?

Tony

Hi Tony,

I appreciate the difficulties and I know I'm lethargic, but one would have to be seriously on the ball to get the magazine on the 20th and respond to something in it in time for the next month's deadline on the 15th.

Nick

Consider the ideal to be six weeks to give time to do the mag - submission to the printers was usually towards the end of the month, give a 2-3 week lead time for printing and distribution and you see why the mag was often late, stop press could happen towards the end of the month now i suppose but push that and we'll be back into a late scenario again

anyhow - are you racing this year - how's the knee ?

Tony

I know this is probably a bit radical but why not just publish the mag in a members-only area on this site. Looking at the club treasurers report that would save about 4.5K per year (assuming no-one is going to advertise in the web version). It would also be as near to instant as you can get!

The only real agrument I can see against it is that some people don't have Internet access but there can't be that many nowadays - you could always send a photocopy to them.

The other argument that we don't have a members only area can be easily fixed by spending some money (the 4.5K saved in the first year?) to add one