Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazine News

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Magazine News

Fair point, Andy

However, just think of the possibilities - the mag could include video clips, recorded interviews, and nice colour pics. Much more 21st century and environmentally friendly than reading it on a bit of mashed up tree

It is nice to get a paper one, but it clearly is not going to be as up to date as a purely on-line one could be. That's a problem if the magazine is seen as the only way of communicating with members. Maybe the answer is a policy decision to make official what happens in practice, and use the magazine only for stuff that isn't time critical and the website for time critical material. Accept that they are complementary and then tailor each to its purpose. Andy has been doing a lot of really good work lately to make the website serve the club better, but that still leaves a role for the magazine.

What this does require though, is that all club members are expected to visit the website, or at least be on email. Then the magazine can focus on feaure articles, reviews and discussions and the website on news and announcements.

Nick

Would it be possible to have a membership fee and then pay extra for the magazine? why not have a "paper magazine subscription" at one price for those who want the real thing, and a price for a "digital copy" for those who would rather have an electronic copy..save paper and money for the club?

Just an idea..

Dunc

I would caution against charging separately for the magazine, simply because I have seen an organisation all but go under after starting down that route. Magazine is big cost, say accountants, it must pay for itself or go. A quarter of the membership decide to pay for it, so they have to pay 4 times as much as before.

Accountants are happy, but 25% of membership is pissed off because they are being asked a silly price for magazine; 75% start wondering what the club is doing for them because they never hear anything. Advertisers stop advertising. Authors can't be arsed to write for 25% of membership.

As for digital distribution, I believe that has been/is being looked at.

Nick

I have to jump in, this is true what you say about cost, in the printing industry it works like this.

THE MORE YOU TAKE THE LESS YOU PAY PER UNIT.

So if only a quater of the members want, then they might as well be paying for a full print, the difference is going to be minimal, but if you print for the whole club then it will be much more cost effective.

I like the idea of the web posting as well but that could work as a photo or video referance to the story in the mag. Keepin gthe mag in B&W does also reduce the cost but we all love a bit of colour in our lives now don't we.

Quote Originally Posted by srn4
    Would it be possible to have a membership fee and then pay extra for the magazine? why not have a "paper magazine subscription" at one price for those who want the real thing, and a price for a "digital copy" for those who would rather have an electronic copy..save paper and money for the club?

Just an idea..

Dunc

Certainly not- my bog isn't networked

Ewan

I believe most of the printing cost comes in the setting up of the presses etc and that the paper and delivery are a fraction of the total cost, reducing the paper magazine numbers would make it less cost effective as the setup costs are the same for 400 magazines as they are for 1

I like a paper one anyway, i spend enough time gawping at a computer screen - oops here i am again, gawping at a computer screen

<font color="darkblue">One of the things we have been looking at is a digital version. Not to replace a paper one – we’re not ready for that, but just as a added bonus to anyone who wanted it.

We have trialled it and it all works fine and dandy. However the main sticking point at the moment is knowing who is a member – This I know this sounds a bit petty, but the principal of the magazine is that it is a service we provide to members. At the moment on the list of things to do – but not top priority – is to rejig the membership database to make it even more funky and interactive than it is, and to integrate it into the electronic lapscoring system. Once that happens we will be able to offer an electronic version of the magazine as well as the paper one.[/COLOR]