Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Folding Hovercraft???

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Folding Hovercraft???

Four rudders in all Nick and the left pair operate independant of the right pair so you can close the duct off for neutral and reverse and for turning one pair will allow forward thrust whilst the other pair give reverse thrust so you can come up on hover and stay in one spot doing doughnuts.
    Attached Images Attached Images

excellent replies people, im just thinking of creating a must smaller more compact craft, would it be possible to use ......say a material duct?!?

Not practical as no protection from a fan loosing a blade etc or from a person falling on it as the duct is as much a protection device as it is a device for containing and directing airflow you could however use a prop with a lightweight ally cage which would be more compact like they use on paragliders.

Hi Don,

Four rudders, and made of aluminium too. That's what I have on my racer. I honestly don't know how those people with less get by.

As for guarding fans and props, you are right there are two issues, keeping people out and containing failed parts, apart from the boring aerodynamic details.

There are Club regulations on construction of ducts and guards. These have just been updated, expect a new release of the documents very soon.

Nick

My Dad made one years ago – before I was born. It would fold up and fit in a Cortina estate boot. The duct wasn’t a problem, because in those days we had <font size="1">teeny tiny[/COLOR] ducts.

I think it had a framework inside, sort of lots of x’s which folding up in both directions. A bit like those camping chairs you can get now. With a material cover.

I think this was the hovercraft which someone has a photo of it floating in the water at Standford and Dad was handing a car battery over to someone on the shore. The battery was important because it was one off the Cortina, and we wouldn’t have been able to get home without it.

I remember it well - a brilliant machine around 16feet long with 2 9bhp villiers 9e invalid car engines. Built on the Zeppelin principle of a thin framework of metal rods covered in fabric it resembled an airship floating over the water. So light and yet large in cushion area it had the lowest cushion pressure ever seen so hump speed was non existent but it did tend to drift downwind... I seem to recollect another drawback is that it had no inherent hull to alight on water, so if Malcolm forgot to put in the 1 gall oil cans that were it's floats, it sank... But fortunately the day it did that it was close to shore and we dragged it out.

Just found this photo from 1970

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=70&private=0[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guy Ackerman has made one folding hovercraft too, able to be carried by road .

I' ll join a pic in a while.