Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP !!!! Its Electrical.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default HELP !!!! Its Electrical.

Well off we went yesterday and flew around the rugby fields again..

I have checked the filter, the carbs the plugs (the one was a bit loose, OK way loose and that could have contributed but not likely) The mix is right but still the revs veary from 5 0000 to 6 200

We rode around a bit and then when comming in to stop, when I pulled the lanyard to kill the motor, nothing happened. She just kept on going.

I have checked all the wires and all is still connected, yet now all it does is 5 000 and from time to time 6 000, this is verry frustrating.

For those who do not know, my craft has a 503 duel ignition, duel carb. 2 stroke.

Wonderfull motor when she runs propper.

What could it be, where should I look and what needs testing to find the problem?

Thanks guys, look forward to your replyz.

Default Re: HELP !!!! Its Electrical.

So when you hold it at max throttle for a long while, does it run at a steady engine speed, or does the speed go up and down?

Or does it reach a different engine speed on different days? Are you sure your tacho is working properly?

Check the continuity and make/break action of the lanyard switch. If it's OK then your wiring has a fundamental fault.

Faultfinding is usually a case of finding the one fact that you assumed was absolutely true, but actually wasn't...

Keep trying!

Richard E.

On full throttle you can hear as the revs drop and raise together with the tacho.

I have checked all wires and all is still as it was lastweek, connected fine. Tacho is fine too.

We did try the lanyard, I have two, as it is duel and pulling one out seems to make a little difference, this is one at a time, pull both and it does'nt die.

Maybe if I strip everything and put it back together, Air Commander on there site say that the timming could be out and thus, but no the lanyard should stop the motor no matter what the timming is.

I did some doanuts and it also seemed to rev 6 200 constantley when I turn left and when I turn right it dropped to 5 000. That also bugged me, why would it do that, does'nt make sense, I first thaught that the carbs lost pressure because of the angle of the craft, but that can't be it.

I have'nt checked for sludge in the carb yet, maybe it could be that, but again, Y would it not die when lanyard is pulled.

Very unhappy camper right now.

Sounds like you have two unrelated faults.

If the lanyard switches are OK then you have a wiring fault, even if you believe they haven't changed.

RHE

Just been home and pulled the lanyards off, and reconnected them, are looking better already, will only test tonight.

Also taken off those two CDI boxes, them will have a look at later and check all connections there, also took out all spark plugs and they two look good.

Do you think that I can rev her up to 6 000 on the trailer or should I rather do it on the ground? I am a little worried about flyign off with that much thrust.

At least if it does, it will mean that everything is OK.

Yes you can run it on the trailer to 6000rpm and if you can get 6K on the trailer you should get approx 6500 off the trailer just put a couple of bricks in front of the trailer wheels and that will hold it easily. Hold it at 6K for a couple of minutes then without releasing the throttle stop it using the lanyards then check your plug colour the insulator should be a chestnut colour if its much lighter than this you are running weak and could hole a piston and you would need to richen up the carbs by lifting the needles a notch or two. Also you only need one lanyard on that engine.

The kill switch normally shorts the coil to ground. Check your connections. Sometimes people forget to remove the insulation on the wire before crimping on a connector. The crimp pierces thru the insulation and works fine until the crimp relaxes over time and then you suddenly have a problem.

The other thing that I have seen is from a very rich fuel/air mixture that will give you run-on when you shutdown. Carbon builds up in the cylinder and it keeps the cylinder hot. I have seen extreme cases where the carbon buildup will keep the engine running.

------

Atters

We rode around a bit and then when comming in to stop, when I pulled the lanyard to kill the motor, nothing happened. She just kept on going.

OK checked all wiring last night, re-did everything and checked the ground, things seem better, well they did.

Started her up and let it worm up.

Started to rev her up slow and at around 4 500 everything died

OH NO..

It helps if there is petrol in the tank hey..

felt kinda doff.

It started raining after comming back from the garage,

Will try again today.

Thanks for the tips, I did check the spark plug chart and it looks like the second from the top, wet, dry, missing.

I did strip almost everything and put back together, will try again today with a propper run up to full for several minutes and see what we end up with.

Am also going to buy a propper measuring jug to get the mix perfect from now on, before I was just using the measurements on the bottle, that is not good enough for me.

One more thing, where is the ground on the motor , I have the ground from the lanyard and the tacho, but the motor itseld, where is that, cant seem to find it.