Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP !!!! Its Electrical.

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: HELP !!!! Its Electrical.

Ummm...this may sound stupid and obvious but have you checked your electrical ground? Perhaps the reason you are getting the drop in revs on a right corner is because of a loose connection on the ground (that is exacerbated when the craft leans) and this leads to a less powerful/erratic spark...drop in revs. Also a ground fault could also explain the loss of the kill cord.

Just something to quickly check...8 out of 10 times with electrical problems its a loose wire!

Graham Harvey

Don't be too concerned about the drop in revs as the craft changes direction. For some craft this is normal and depends on the fan size, type, speed and the angle at which the blades are set. Concentrate first on getting the engine to run reliably at a constant speed with the craft stationary.

This website gives some information on Spark plug colour.

http://www.spark-plugs.co.uk/pages/t.../diagnosis.htm

But there are other, possibly better sites, search with google for "spark plug colour".

If you are unsure about the engine it is best to run it initially with a plug colour of dark tan/light brown which should be quite safe. The colour to note is the colour around the two electrodes, the insulator is less important. If you see slight white flecks forming on either electrode and an overall light tan colour the engine is running at or near its optimum, but is probably slightly too weak for safe sustained high speed use. Heavy white flecking or light grey electrodes shows the engine to be running too weak.

If you think the mixture is too weak, do not rely on lifting the needles alone. This will change the mixture in the mid to top range but will not not correct the problem at maximum revs (assuming the throttles are fully open). You will in this event need to change the main-jets.

The kill switch normally shorts the coil to ground. Check your connections. Sometimes people forget to remove the insulation on the wire before crimping on a connector. The crimp pierces thru the insulation and works fine until the crimp relaxes over time and then you suddenly have a problem.

The other thing that I have seen is from a very rich fuel/air mixture that will give you run-on when you shutdown. Carbon builds up in the cylinder and it keeps the cylinder hot. I have seen extreme cases where the carbon buildup will keep the engine running.

------

Atters

We rode around a bit and then when comming in to stop, when I pulled the lanyard to kill the motor, nothing happened. She just kept on going.

OK checked all wiring last night, re-did everything and checked the ground, things seem better, well they did.

Started her up and let it worm up.

Started to rev her up slow and at around 4 500 everything died

OH NO..

It helps if there is petrol in the tank hey..

felt kinda doff.

It started raining after comming back from the garage,

Will try again today.

Thanks for the tips, I did check the spark plug chart and it looks like the second from the top, wet, dry, missing.

I did strip almost everything and put back together, will try again today with a propper run up to full for several minutes and see what we end up with.

Am also going to buy a propper measuring jug to get the mix perfect from now on, before I was just using the measurements on the bottle, that is not good enough for me.

One more thing, where is the ground on the motor , I have the ground from the lanyard and the tacho, but the motor itseld, where is that, cant seem to find it.

Rotax Ducati ignition wiring diagram

The grey wire is your tachometer lead - it goes to one side of the tach the other side goes to ground.

The heavy yellow wire and the heavy yellow with black strip are you 170 watt light coil, these connect to your regulator rectifier - which then charges your battery. They can also be hooked up to SOME strobe lights - CHECK before connecting to make sure your strobe will work connect directly to the system!!!

The two remaining yellow wires are you ignition kill switch one for each magneto. Connect them together then take a lead to one side of a switch and run the other side to a ground.

OK.

Grey is already on tacho.

What lights would you recomend,? I would like to put some one, think It would look nice, maybe nav light on each corner of the craft.

The other are each connected to a lanyard, will it not make a difference if I conect them together,? I was always scared that I blow something up if I conect two wires together.

I have two different lanyard switches, one had a plastic clip and the other is a rubber boot that fits over the whole switch.

Which is better?

Those wiring instructions are of the official Rotax site and thats how mine is wired, as for lights whatever you fancy orange strobe beacon is the norm or nav lights.

ok

THANKS