Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hovercrafts scene in N.Ireland

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Hovercrafts scene in N.Ireland

Hello I am new to the Hovercraft scene and was wondering if there is any builders/owners in N.Ireland.

I would like to also know if there is a particular reason why a belt is used to drive the fans rather than a chain and cog.

Thanks

Ed

I would like to build my own Hovercraft what would be the best model to start with, I would like to carry about 3/4 people and would mainly use it on deserted beach areas.

Default Re: Hovercrafts scene in N.Ireland

Ed

welcome to our world, i know of two NI hovercrafters Dave and Pat, they look in from time to time so i'm sure they'll be in touch

we use belts and pulleys 'cos they weigh less but mainly because don't cause as much damage when they fail

let us know wheter you want to build the whole thing or from a kit or a combination of the two and we can better advise you on what to do

my advice would always be to get a 2nd hand craft first so you can learn from it, have fun at the same time whilst planning your next build better

Tony

I agree.

PS: Tony, craft looking good, I envy you all the way. Cant wait to see it finished.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies, I will look into the second market and see whats there.

Thanks too for answering the belt and pulley query I did not realise it was as straight forward an answer.

What do you think of the small one man HC like those used in Australian Olympics, I have seen some variations and would like to make one for myself just to play around with.

I am looking into the bigger HC so my boys will be able to ride at the same time, hoping to avoid some arguements haha.

Ed

Have you a pic of those HC that was used?

The hoveroards used in Australia weren't true hovercraft, I'm fairly sure they use a drive wheel, which makes them less than amphibious. For the money you could buy a cruising craft, trailer and loads of fuel, meaning you could take a friend, go on land and water (with waves of more than 6" which the Airboard couldn't cope with even if it didn't have wheels) and go far faster than 25 KpH

http://www.powerscoots.co.uk/acatalog/Airboard.html

Yes I remember now, they have a wheel or wheels underneath and friction on the wheel makes you turn, never realy thaught that it was practical. First saw then in 2002.

Default Re: Hovercraft's scene in N.Ireland

What a bummer, how can they call it a hoverboard if it relies on wheels?

A hoverboard is seen on this sight http://www.powerboarding.com/hovercraftboards.htm the people who make it HovercraftsOfTexas sight is down so this is the only image.

I was looking for something to use on land only,beach etc for my own use, it may not be practicable as I have back injuries.

The Texas hoverboard has a cable for throttle control, I was thinking of maybe using bars like the Aussie hoverboard for stability, maybe adapt a lawn mower handle bars.

Thanks for the advice

Ed