Thread: calling Keith Oakley - live webcast

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default calling Keith Oakley - live webcast

Keith

given we can now have almost live lapscoring updates on the internet, i was wondering if some live webcam link might be possible for our overseas friends or people who can't make the racing so they can catch the race action live and keep up to date with who's winning what - it won't be the same as being there but better than not being involved at all

i do wonder if you have the time what with lapscoring, sound recording/analysing, databasing and all the other admirable things you do for the club - just a thought

Tony

Default Re: calling Keith Oakley - live webcast

Hi Tony,

One issue would be getting a reliable internet connection in a field.

Also Keith doesn't seem to be at a loose end as it is.

However... I think it's a great idea. I'd like a web page with live scores, a web cam and live commentary by Barry O.

So we're waiting on the internet connection. I can't help thinking that I'm going to be very busy if we ever do and that my new craft isn't going to get built

Cheers.

Andy.

Great idea - It's been a longterm objective since 1997 when I first published results on the internet during the Lucon France World Championships. Back then I know of an audience of just 2, in the US and Australia, but the appreciative feedback I got from last years efforts shows there is a bigger audience these days.

As Andy says the reliability of the uplink via the GPRS/GSM mobile phone network is an issue. I experienced problems at 2 UK sites last year and right now there is no GSM service at all at this years World Championship site in France. We're sweating on France Telecom completing a new aerial to open up service.

The biggest challenge is how to quickly gather and present info coherently and in an entertaining way. Simply sticking a fixed webcam up and tapping into brother Barry's commentary is relatively easy. But not all web viewers will stay glued to their screen for the whole 9 hour day of a race meeting. Those dipping in and out will often find between races no movement and no commentary. They need some kind of edited highlights.

There is plenty of good info onsite - Paul Taylor often has live video coming back from cameras mounted on craft, there are plenty of cameras around the site and some folk understand why theres 10 people furiously working on a craft in the paddock. The challenge is to collect this info and coherently mould it into a story in realtime - without using the massive teams of people and technology the BBC would deploy.

Perhaps we could learn from others. Is anyone aware of another amateur sport doing this kind of thing? But right now this longterm objective is in a development queue behind noise analysis, licence and membership databases, new radio data links to the commentator, more tags to replace the losses, world champs software, esubs and eshopping.......

and don't forget you need to breathe as well Keith

keep up the good work

Tony
    Attached Files Attached Files

GREAT IDEA, JUST LET ME KNOW WHEN IT IS UP AND RUNNING.

Even if there is nothing happening I will still watch just incase I miss something.

OR

Cover my expences and I will fly there for every meeting and be your camera man, thus with a laptop on my side and a cameral in hand, the viewers will never get bored. One could walk around all day between the paddoc and starting grid, do interviews and get to all the best viwpoints.

I have wireless internet and all it takes is a tiny areal that reveives the signal from a bigger stationary one, infact I could walk around now if it were'nt for the 17" screen and the fact that I need to be pluged into the wall.

Hope this becomes reality.
    Attached Images Attached Images