Thread: Anyone want to hire me a sewing machine?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Anyone want to hire me a sewing machine?

Hi.

I have come to sew my skirt, but my mothers cheap dress making machine cant cope with the work and gives s stiches!

Does anyone relativley close to Malvern, Worcestershire know of anywhere that I can hire out a sewing machine for a week or so?

Thanks.

Dunc

Default Re: Anyone want to hire me a sewing machine?

a normal machine can be just up to the job if you fiddle with it a little! get a needle suitable for heavy fabric, like denim! i then made a stand that would take a large size bobbin and stood it behind the machine! if you play around with the force the foot plate exerts and the stitch lenght, and if sew slowly it may get it done! if it will not sew multi layers, like it will only sew two but you want to use material for the tags say and you would be sewing four layers! then use nylon webbing for the tags as the needle will fly thru it!!

or is your mum just not up to you b**g*ring the machine lol!

oh and a week to sew your first skirt is a bit ambitious, you would have to be at it all day every day. my first bag took 45 mins to make, then after 50 odd i could do then in five mins lol!

Its a year since I did my first skirt...the first segment took me about an hour, but I also have managed to get it down to about 5 mins...Its just a repetativley boring job!

I killed the sewing machine last time around, I think the gearbox ate itself!!

I am sure a solution will present itself at some point!

best ting to do is buy one from a boot fair an old singer they have metal gears you also need the largest needle you can find and set the tension on the top heigh i use a fixed foot ie without a hinge it helps feed the material must use nylon thread not cotton in rots.

geoff

I tried the first time but decided that for the new skirts I would get them done.

Went to a place that builds Tents and stuff, they charged me 1 400 that will be around 120 pounds for a full set. I don't know how much you guys pay for them but I worked it to be about 20 or 2 pounds per skirt, seems quite worth it in the end, no work for a good quality skirt.