Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Off Topic Can anyone help?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Off Topic Can anyone help?

Hi,

Can anyone help? i have an extenal DVD/CD rewriter i wish to put Hovercraft videos etc on to the disc but everytime i use the DVD/CD rewriter it freezes my computor up and i have to reboot this also happens when i try to use the cd player.

I thank you all in advance for any replies i would appreciate any help.

Kindest Regards

Kev

Default Re: Off Topic Can anyone help?

Are you running XP?

Is it a USB drive?

It could be a number of things, but the most obvious one is that you dont have the correct drivers installed properly.

Right click on "my computer" then "properties", and then "hardware" and select "device manager".

With your disk drive plugged in and switched on it should appear somewhere in the device manager, if there is an icon in there with a little yellow question mark then that tells you that something isnt wrong...

If the disk drive is shown as a "normal" icon then you could try clicking on it and re-installing the drivers, or alternativley, if thre is no icon for the disk drive you need to install some drivers from scratch!

Hope some of that is of help.... If it doesnt work, just kick it!

Good luck

Dunc

Hi Dunc

Yes it is XP and USB i have checked what you said and re installed the driver and the program and it is still freezing!

The rewriter is an LG Extenal 16X DVD/CD rewriter USB2.0 IEEE1394 the computor system is one of the latest. I bought an extenal Rewriter because the internal one with the system kept freezing as well and i thought a new one would stop this from happening.

Kev

I think it is most likely to be either the video driver or the motherboard chipset drivers. Search for both on the internet and see if there are updates. (this is possible even with a new PC.

Yeah, what Paul said

If its a new system and it wont behave, can you take it back and complain?

Hi paul, can u find out if the motherboard supports USB 2, one of my m8ts had a similar problem as his motherboard only supported USB 1.1.

Pauls suggestions sound right, the video diver should not have much effect on the ability to transfer data but the motherboard drivers could be to blame, reinstalling the drivers cannot do any harm aswell unless u remember you lost the disk after u have un-installed all of them .

Good luck

nick

As the symptoms are the same for an internal and external drive, it is unlikley to be a USB2 compatibility issue. It is most likley to be the chipset drivers as these effectivley control the communications between the pci bus and the processor...

Dunc

How do update motherboard video adpter etc i have tried windows automatic updates and still have problems.

Kindest regards

Kev