Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First water test

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: First water test

Hello Sean,

in ( bad ) case your craft sink, first :

before test flight , you must have a 10 m rope tied on hull with a floater at other end, make your check flight on plain water, not salted. Bad things are thermic shock on engine, water on electric starter, or water pressure raming INSIDE waterproof bearings.

1) Remove craft from water ( stupid item )

2) Remove water from craft ( .......... )

3) Remove water from engine( s ) , drain + new oil.

4) Dry electric starter and wiring.

5) Change or dry air filter.

6) Restart engine as soon as practicable and let it run at least for one hour at 1/3 max rpm.

7) Prepare yourself to change bearings or electric starter.

During the Raid , several crafts have been drownded, for several reasons, all have been restarted, and work normally now.

But, on your check flight, first , let it down on water keeping engine running on idle, and move on your craft like if you want to change spark plugs, or catch a tow rope, or help someone getting onboard from water.

On the raid , Jean - Claude, our beloved Chief, request all craft pilots to go on water , stop engine for 45 mn, dive in water, climb back on craft on their own, restart, and back to paddock.

Be safe and happy and lucky .

Michel

Well it did'nt sink, however it did take on water.

Started up the craft and let it worm up, first of course checked all the usual stuff, then killed the engine and restarted from inside the craft to make shure that it would.

Started out for the water and for some reasonjust powered it out into deep water, had to totally close the splitter as the spray was too much, went about half a K out, turned around and headed for shore. near the shore closed the throttle to idle and sat for a while, all was fine, then killed the engine, and sat for just about a minute, then saw water comming through where the bolts that hold the motor go through the hull, it came in quite fast too, so I quickly started the motor, first pull too and went ashore. Not bad I fealt, realy thaught that it would be worse.

After chucking out the water decided to have some lunch and felt good to go for another spin, Got in started up and hovered into the water, sat on idle for a while to then try get over the hump.

Powered her up to 6500 revs and started to move forwar, so resistance took place but then with a woosh she poped out and off we went, nose up high but going serprisinglly well, looked back to see all 6 back skirts flapping in the wind, they must have still been full of water and the cableties just snaped like nothing, made my way to shore and called my suport to get some new ties. Must take some with on the craft next time out. Tied the skirts and off we went again.

After some time of cruising around a bit, enjoying every minute, decided that speed was needed, so opened her up to 6 600 and off we went, WOW Man this thing realy goes on the water...

I will findout how fast when my buddy goes with some time with his speed boat.

Almost got a wheelie going but just does'nt want to do it yet, however a plough in is one thing I found out catches you off guard and is a lot of fun.

I laughed and laughed after it happened.. Almost threw me out..

Took things a bit slower after that and seems my throttle can be adjusted and left like that, I put her at 4500 and left it there, this alowed me to stand, jip that's right, stand, no hands and upright, on ly feet. Wow. If you havent tried that, try it, what a feeling, and to turn, well just lean a bit to the one side and you turn nice and slow. infact I think standing is the best way to do it, better view and all. Kept the Lanyard on, just in case, safety first you know.

To conclude I need to do a few things to get the craft to what it needs to be:

1.: Fibreglass the bolts in water tight.

2.: chuck in a builge pump

3.: Get a Horizontal rudder for water use, craft does'nt quite sit as I would like, bit too much nose up.

Other than that, OH MY what a life.

Now you know why we are all so obsessed - good job standing up ?? not sure on that one

Hey Sean,

We all have made stupid things with motorbikes, cars , airplanes, lawn mowers and hovercrafts.......

But we cannot encourage newcomers in such a way in this forum.

Think about a foam protection on your handlebar, can save bones or teeth, don' t laugh, it has been seen yet.

Playing " Silver Surfer " stood up on craft is not a good thing , that means your throttle can be stuck in high speed position, would you do it with your car on highway ?

Drive safe, drive for long, we need a positive image of hovercrafts to extend our schoolyard.

Michel;

OK Folks,

I've decided to prune this thread as things were getting a little heated.

Let's keep the mud-slinging out of here and keep it personable.

Cheers.

Andy.