Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craft for restoration project

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Craft for restoration project

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=140&private=0[/img]

Hi

This single seat craft is available for restoration by a suitably enthusiastic new owner.

I'm not sure what it is (if anyone knows, please chip in) but it would seem to be from the late sixties or seventies?

It is about 10 or 11 ft long, 6 ft wide, and had a bag skirt (now missing). It is powered by a pair of Villiers (197cc?) 'dynostart' engines, one driving a fan for lift (blades probably unsafe due to age) and a wooden prop of about 24" diameter of professionally made appearance.

The upper deck is GRP, and appears sound. The lower deck seems to have been wood, and is largely rotted away.

The general standard of construction seems to have been high, with lots of attention to detail, but it would need certain mods to bring it up to modern standards - such as guarding on the rotation assemblies and fans, unless 'historic exemption' from the construction regs were sought.

It needs a new lower hull to be constructed; all framework to be dismantled, repaired and repainted; engines rebuilt; new fan; etc etc... but it looks like an interesting craft.

It is currently lying near Cheltenham and is available without charge to someone who wants to restore and run it. Please ask if you want more details or photos.

Ian

Default Re: Craft for restoration project

would be very interested in seeing some pics!

Hi Ian..

Looks like a very old Ranger craft from the early 70's, there were quite a number flying when I began operating in 1974. Then they were fitted with twin Wankle engines.

Don't know who made them though!

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the number is 66 it is Ranger1 as I ran a craft at Hele's school Exeter of the same type powered by the same engines in the mid 70's. I enclose a picture of wankel powered one called peanuts taken at stanford hall in the 70's after hitting a tree. Keep the old craft flying.

It is no. 66 - did you know the craft? The current owner is threatening to chop it up, so I would like to rescue it. If no-one comes forward, I might be needing a place to store in until my current project is complete!

Ian

Have you got any idea how long you want it stored for? Would hate to see it chopped up. Will help in anyway I can. Did not know the craft but saw the type race.

if you do find somewhere to store it, i will

help you do it up if you like!

i might know someone with a shed in a feild near glastonbury

will ask him on friday night!

Update:

I have now recovered the craft to my place and had a better look at it.

It's 12' by 6'6" - a good size but nice and light, should have good lift, and was clearly built with lots of attention to detail. The GRP deck is sound, but as suggested earlier the wooden planing surfaces are in very poor condition and need re-making. They are made from 1/8" ply with 3/4 x 3/4 battens. There are feed holes for the skirt and built-in floatation. There seems to be enough structure left to measure/draw in order to make a replica.

The engines seem to be all there and are re-buildable but it's not a job for the faint-hearted - the main thing will be getting them apart, as all the nuts look to be corroded. A motorcycle restorer would be able to deal with them without too much trouble, and parts seem to be available.

The engine & fan frames will need blasting off and re-painting - again, the main job will be getting the rusted nuts and bolts apart - a good blow-lamp will be essential... there might be the odd one that needs re-making after blasting due to corrosion.

There is nothing left of the skirt - so unless someone has a pattern in thier loft somewhere, this will need to be re-designed for the craft - probably best left to The Boss!

Some thought will be needed in order to integrate suitable mesh guarding onto the existing structure, but this should be do-able.

All in all, it's saveable and ought to result in a good useable craft - there's not many people can say they own a vintage hovercraft!

Someone needs to collect it soon, otherwise I'll be starting it myself...

Ian

PS if anyone has any plans, info, parts or build photo's, I would be interested in them.