Thread: First big one

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default First big one

Hello. I am a fairly new to hovercraft and I'd like some professional oppinions. I have built one small hovercraft from an old board, a leaf blower and a trashbag (worked suprisingly well!), and I am going to make a larger one. I have it planned out to be about 6-7ft long and 4-5ft wide. It will be made of plywood and it will use a bag skirt (cant seem figure out how to make finger skirts). It will use leaf blowers for propulsion. Does anyone have any idea how many blowers I would need to lift this plus my 130lb? Most blowers I've seen weight about 7 or 8 pounds. Any other help is also appriciated.

Default Re: First big one

Innovation is the longest way to go to destination.

If you are well trained to hovercrafts, even scale model, you can make something new, any mistake will not be too far from a good idea.

For a first " big " hovercraft, could be wise to build one based on a well known recipe.

Look all home made craft, and how they fly, build one similar or identical to a good one. Otherwise, you bet wasting 500 hours of work for an anvil.

It' s a pity to be disapointed on a first try.

Look at French Raid pictures, a lot of crafts are home design, but they look similar, and work well.

Leave blowers are designed for a strong but " narrow " air stream, efficient for lift, but not for thrust. The result could be a funny craft but unable to fight a 10 knots wind.

I should not try .....

Agreed,

Trust me home built is OK but do it right the first time, I messed around like that and ended up spending a fortune and had nothing to show for it.

If you are serious about building a successful craft, get plans and the propper, tried and tested materials.

Look at different sites of people that have built craft already and read through it, even with plans, they still hit bumps in the road, Ask about anything, the simplist things can be complicated and this forum is just the place for sound advise.

I am interested in seeing a great result from you and following your progress as you go.

Good luck and call back with any questions you may have, these guys know all about it.

Sean is not the only one who has wasted time and money .

In our club , we have mister " IKNOWEVERYTHING" , we often see him in our meetings, but his anvil is more often glued to the ground than any hovercrafts he uses to laugh at.

In another hand , we have a very clever man, who has ask everyone about details and opinions, he made a synthesis of them all, and made a successfull craft, at the first try.