Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Static thrust

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Static thrust

Must be some mind reading going on there Nick, i was just about to ask that exact question when i seen your post.

I'm still struggling to find some form of suitable spring balance or similar locally that is cheap enough for the one or two time usuage that it will get, but what i did come across over the net that im curious on some opinions is, this site here http://members.aol.com/riccnakk/hydlc.html its a way to test static thrust using stuff i have availible at work. Do you think its a idea that could be used for measuring hovercraft thrust ? and the bar he has along the top of the wheel cylinder, if that was extra long would that effect the outcome of the reading the longer it got ?

cheers lazza

www.hovercraft.geek.nz

Larry,

What you want is some industrial hanging scales. A quick "google image" search will turn up a bunch. Here's an example

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...www.davco.bc.c a/images/khs-a.JPG&imgrefurl=http://www.davco.bc.ca/mech anicalhangingdialscales.html&h=640&w=480&sz=53&a mp;a mp;tbnid=42r-Q1MsIIltjM:&tbnh=135&tbnw=101&hl=en &start=84&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dhanging%2Bscales%26star t%3D80%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26rls%3DGGLR ,GGLR:2005 -39,GGLR:en%26sa%3DN

Not cheap though - about $150 USD.

Here's a shot of a Neoteric getting tested for static thrust

yeah thats the sort of thing i have been looking for. I was just hoping (and struggling) to find something a bit cheaper considering it will only get used once or twice, hence why i was curious about that hydraulic set up on that link i posted.

Yep - the hydraulic set-up will work. To get the force, take the area of the piston (less the piston rod if ther is one) in sq inches and multiply by the pressure in psi, to get the force in lbf.

Actually - it would be cleaner to use a pnuematic ram and pressure gauge if you can get one.

Ian

Used to work in the weighing industry, so try this, will be dead accurate and should be cheap. Sold quite a few of these systems and they are dead good.

Best thing I can think of is to ring a scale calibration and sales company and ask to hire a load cell and an indicator. An S-Type load cell would be the best as you can screw eye-lets to each end of it to attach your rope to. Make sure you have a rough idea of how much thrust you have so that you can get an appropriately rated load cell (they're usually rated in kg 50, 100, 200, 350, 500 etc etc). The load cell would have to be wired to measure in tension NOT compression but that's no problem, just a case of swapping two wires around in the plug that goes into the weighing indicator. Most indicators have a peak hold function on them, this means that they will show the highest value attained.

The joy of a weighing indicator is that if the wire from the load cell is long enough you can have it in the craft with you!

Here's a link to the type of load cell I am thinking of.

http://www.vishay.com/test-measureme...ducers/s-type/

A whole load cell and indicator system doesn't cost much to buy so hiring one shouldn't be that expensive.