Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Setting blade pitch..

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Setting blade pitch..

PLASTIC ????????

My Multi-wing came with mild steel pins.....

????????????????????????????

Raoul,

Is there an english language version of that pdf? BTW - the pins on both my fans are plastic too. I don't think it matters much since the pins don't hold the blades in place once the bolts are tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Hovertrekker
    Raoul,

Is there an english language version of that pdf? BTW - the pins on both my fans are plastic too. I don't think it matters much since the pins don't hold the blades in place once the bolts are tight.
    Sorry, no English version is available at this time, but the pictures are pretty much self explanatory I think. Let me know what you have trouble understanding, and I can translate it for you.

I have used the plastic ones in the past, and now I prefer the metal ones. In some rare cases, the plastic ones can get pinched, and are therefore in my opinion less accurate. If you snug up the hub bolts to a point where you can still move the blades a bit, you'll find that the plastic ones can have just a little bit more play than the metal ones. I guess the plastic ones, (…if used at all?), can be just fine on the 4 and 5 inch wide Z blades, but using the pin’s on the much bigger P6Z's is a must! I've seen one of the other German crafts try it without them once. Needless to say, it didn't work, and they had a catastrophic failure. Using the metal ones was also a recommendation made to me by one of the sales engineers, during the time when I had visited the factory in Germany.

One little hint for keeping the pins from moving during the assembly process. I’ve found myself using a tiny tab of grease, or better yet, a dab of red lock-tight to keep the pins inside the correct grove. I like to believe this helped in keeping the angle all the same, while putting the rest of the blades in place.

Greese, good Idea I am using a small piece of insolation tape, this way when you take them out again they do not fall and get lost, that has already happened, nothing like lying face down for an hour looking for a damb pin.

OK maybe only a cuple of minutes, would'nt want to fall asleep.

Hello Jonathan,

you can replace plastic pins by a headcut bolt, it works, for grease, if you don' t want to see grease leak on blades and duct, use an adhesive tape ( office thin one ), it will glue just enough time to put them all. And with a marker you can eventualy write the setting on it. With a little chance, it will be readable next time you dismount the hub.

A friend of mine never uses pins, so as to change angle with hub on place, he never had any trouble, I suppose he uses something to avoid blades bases to turn, like a block.

i never use the pins, certainly not with my rotax 503, 50 odd hp is not enough to turn the blades in the hub.

i must admit i didnt like the look of the plastic pins and did make some stainless ones to use, before i ditched the pins all together, as they are not needed with 5z blades and 50 odd hp.

my rotax with a gearbox does take some very fine tuning on the fan, only a couple off mm, on each blade can make a couple hundred rmp difference on fan max and tick over speeds! my pitch is certainly not bang on 45 or 50, its between! but i can't fine tune the fan speed with the correct pulley ratios!

i would be interested to get some informed opinion on the exact power point of which a set of pins are required?

a word of warning tho! i would not use locktite anywhere near the fan blades! locktite can reacte with various types of plastic, making it break down and embrittle! i dont know if it will effect glass filled nylon, but i do know i would not like to find out!

It' s hard to say you have a risk of blade turn above XX hp. It happens with vibrations + shock + wrong tightening + prop speed.........

If you never encountered the problem, good for you, when it happens: either it' s slow and just uncomfortable ( vibrations, strange noise, revs up or down , loss of power ) or it' s sudden and you may explode the whole set of blades, and may be more.

My opinion is : I don' t try.

On aircrafts, prop turn at generally 2500 - 3000 revs, at that speed, prop base suffers several TONS of effort; change scale , on a 90 cm diameter prop like mine , or 1, 4O m on my diesel, I had' nt computed , but I think it should be several hundreds of kilograms, amongst them, how many are trying to make your blades turn ?