Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ARGHHHHHHH.....So close but now so far!

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: ARGHHHHHHH.....So close but now so far!

If I can keep the heads on then its going to save me a small fortune in gasket costs.

My reasoning is that the small particles of aluminium will not be able to scratch the bore or the piston rings as they are much harder and will most likley get forced out of the exhaust port....

A couple of people who are mechanics have told me to do it with the head on, so I might as well give it a try.

Dunc

I agree... Off with her head!!

Get a gasket and you'll have it done next Saturday.

Seriously, you might get away with doing it in-situ, but you won't know until you are bobbing around in the Severn with no power, heading for the Shoots and wondering if SARA can launch before you go in!

Ian

Logic tells me to take the head off and do a proper job, but my bank balance says otherwise!

I will give the local engine rebuild company (Malvern rebore) a ring tommorow and have a chat with them as they are most likley to do any work that has to be done.

If I do remove the heads do I need to get the thing skimmed?

Dunc

yep

What? I don't know this particular engine but I've never heard of a head that needs skimming just because its been taken off.

Dunc, there's some holier than thou attitudes being bandied around here and you need to do your own risk/reward or cost/benefit assessment.

The risk from bits going into the cylinder is low; probably down in the noise compared to other reliability issues on a hovercraft. On the other hand, taking the head off enables you to see the problem better and do a better job of fixing it. Then there's the risk of creating another problem in the process - one risk from working in situ and a different risk in taking the head off and putting it back.

If head off is 10 minutes and 10, take it off. If it is two hours and 50, then try an in situ repair first.

Nick

Well i say "yep" because as a fully qualified mechanic for over 17 years i would not and will not re fit a alu cylinder head without skimming it first or at the very least placing a proper flat edge over the surface and testing it. But then again i'm talking from a professional point of view, as a backyard repair goes its certainly achievable to refit a car cylinder head without skimming it and achieve success but in my experiance the potential for a good success rate drops largely. It comes down to do you want the job "done" or "done right" ?

Quote Originally Posted by lazza
    or at the very least placing a proper flat edge over the surface and testing it

Well, I'd agree with that, but that's very different from automatically skimming it.

Nick

Just spoke to my local autoparts shop and they want to charge 45 for the tools and gear to do the job...Cant find anything cheaper on the web..

Alternativley I can get the guy from Malvern rebore to actualy come to my garage and do the job for me for 40....

Its not cheap, but I think its worth paying a greace monkey to do the job for me!!!

Dunc