Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ARGHHHHHHH.....So close but now so far!

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: ARGHHHHHHH.....So close but now so far!

Hang in there boy and do it right.

Craft is looking good, can't wait to see it going, but please round off the fanguard, all that hard detailed work and then you chuck on that blocked off piece of mesh, maybe take a piece of 4mm round bar and tack it to the end bits, make it nice and round and finish off the craft, the way it should.

Well done, hope that you get the blades set perfect first time.

Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was tempted to do something like that with the fan guard but im not sure that I can weld to galvanised steel...: :-s

Dunc

I'm not shure on that one either

not sure about much i recon!

you can weld to galv steel but the fumes which come off are not nice at all! infact very very bad for you! the galv burns off when you ark ergo nasty fumes!

so yeh you can weld some rod around the outside but do it in extremly well vented area, like outside and don't breathin the fumes! NASTY

i'm surprised you have already galved mesh! if you buy weld mesh from a steel supplier it can have a copper plating on it, but unless you buy galv you dont get it if you state WELD MESH. you

could have got away with larger mesh too. (someones not been reading the specs lol)

also just out of interest how far is the leading edge of your fan from the frame and guard?

1/ there is a min distance, so you cant touch the fan with your fingures, which is one reason why a fan guard is domed, (also to fit over drive systems etc. you may have to set it off the duct, to get this distance

2/ it might just be the angle of your pics, but it looks awfull close, you know a fan blade can come forward 2inches or more under full load? rapid deceleration and ecceleration can cause the blades to wip further! the leading edge of the blade should be sat back nicely within the straight portion of the duct! worth checking!

The fan is about 140mm from the guard which is why I chose small mesh to make it harder to get fingers through it.

I will have to see what I can do to make the edges neater...I do agree that it looks pants...But function wins over beauty...I just want to get this thing moving!

Quote Originally Posted by srn4
    The fan is about 140mm from the guard which is why I chose small mesh to make it harder to get fingers through it.

Duncan,

Dangerman is right. Go and read the regs, especially if your blade to guard spacing is "about 140 mm". I think the latest cruising construction regs are 2002 and the paragraph you need is 3.3.1.B.

AFAIK the gist of this is not changing in the as yet unpublished update.

Nick

You going the same route I did, do whatever it takes to get it off the ground....

STOP...

Do it propper, you going to mess it all up now if you rush this last bit, like Don implies, I rushed the last bit and sent a brand new set of blades to heaven.

Just a thaught, not that I ever thing according to some people ( Hint Hint Dangerman )

PS: Lets not start up again Danger, might get in some serious trouble this time.

I have to chime is here with some more comments Dunc!

You also don't appear to have a guard over the top pulley and bearing. This is classified as a "rotating assembly" and, AFAIK, and must be guarded.

You should use as large a mesh and as small a wire size as allowed by the regs. The restriction effect of too fine a mesh is significant (for example, a 25mm square 3mm wire mesh covers about 24% of the intake area). If you do space the guard away from the duct make sure there isn't a gap (from memory the regs specify 15mm to prevent fingers getting in). And lastly, don't attach the guard to the duct lip and spoil the nice airflow around the lip - attach it to the outside surface of the duct ideally.

As was said above, you can weld galvanised steel OK if you are reasonably careful (if you are worried then wear an organic mask). Try to do small spot type welds to prevent the zinc igniting - the extra energy can burn through thin plate. I recently welded galvanised mesh (every two inches) between two 6.5ft diameter galvanised conduit rings to make a prop guard with no problems (or ill effects!)