Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it all worth it???

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Is it all worth it???

Hi,

Im a 21 year old female aerospace engineering student and have spent the past 6 months designing and building a hovercraft as part of my degree. There is supposedly 4 students in the group however only 3 have done any work, there has been minimal to no help given by the university, limited space, limited budget (1000) and no tools! We have finally managed to get the chassis painted and the engine in place, having spent no time on other modules and close to having a nervous breakdown. We now have a week left to finish it, test it and write a 50 page report on how it went, can anyone give us any encouragement to finish it?! Or would it be more useful as firewood?!

Regards,

Charlie,

P.s. Any positiveness as to if the craft will even work would be much appreciated!

P.s.s. This forum has kept us going and we really want to thank everyone for the information they share on it, cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Is it all worth it???

Cramped garage...Tiny budget...lack of help...no tools....student lifestyle.....sounds somewhat all too similar to my situation and I am just completing my second craft! so look on the bright side, there is atleast one other person out there just as crazy as yourselves

Is it worth the stress and pain? YES!!!!! (Dont ask why...'cause I dont know!)

Having had many students involved with making hovercraft, i encourage them all to put it on their CV and plenty have told me it's the one thing the interviewer remembers, it stimulates questions because engineers are always curious

in a large pile of CV's yours will be remembered

hows that for a bit of motivation ? - you should have come to the University of Central Lancs - space, workshops, tools and lecturers who do give a damn

Tony (Engineering Lecturer)

Sleep deprivation is an important part of student life- you will be enriched by the experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by charlietg
    Hi,

Im a 21 year old female aerospace engineering student and have spent the past 6 months designing and building a hovercraft as part of my degree.

fancy going out for dinner? 21 year old female aerospace engineer! if thats not my ideal women no-one is lol!

finish it, there is nothing like the feeling of flying it around for the first time! thats the reward of building it!

where abouts in the country are you? there is bound to be people in the area that could help you get in flying for the first time!

what sorta craft is it? what engine is in there?

certainly do everything you can to get it going! not only for the reward of flying it for the first time, but also the credit for actually getting it working!

Hi,

Firstly let's get the prelminaries out of the way... At some point, someone will say "There's always someone worse of than you". This Never helps but it won't stop them saying it.

Another saying that's more relevant is "Misery loves company" and that's the reason some of us are here. (Here speaks the man who's 2006 hull is still in the drum and on the roll).

It _is_ worth pointing out that most of us have been somewhere near that point and we've come through it (Feeling better yet? No? OK...). People like TonyB, NickL, and others too numerous to mention have built craft, decided they like it and despite the problems, built another and another. So there must be something that makes it worthwhile.

The problem is it's hard to explain what it is. When you get into a craft you've built, from the ground up, that's there because you've decided it should be there. When you start the thing up and head out across the field and onto the water, it will all be worth it.

Then you'll decide it's not fast enough and start all over again

Stick with it, it will all come together and you can catch up on your sleep next week.

Cheers.

Andy.

Thought id upload a picture of the hovercraft just to get your opinions (we know its not the best and there are lots of flaws with it, but lets just call that hindsight!)

Charlie x

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=184&private=0[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hang on there lass, what happened to "limited space" ? That's reet luxury that is. When I were a lad we ad to build our hovercraft in t outside privvy, in blizzard, wi ammer and nails. Weather were so cold the petrol would freeze...

etc etc.

You just wait til you get onto water! Keep up the good work.

Richard E.