Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TZR help required

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default TZR help required

well i took my craft to have it the engine set up this week and was told there was a problem ! so i took the engine out and back to my engine guy , they have stripped it completely and rebuilt it and said it was ok . so i spent the afternoon putting it back into my craft started it up and im still getting the same problem

the problem is , only one of the cylinders appears to be running correctly (one exhaust gets hot while the other stays cold ) so we swapped the coil leads over to make sure it wasn't a doggy coil and still no joy , next we swapped the carbs over to make sure it wasn't a carb problem and still no joy ! the engine revs well enough but i'm concerned ! everything i've tried has no effect on it at all , i have good compression etc and am now pulling my hair out ( what i have left that is )

has anyone else experienced this before ???

any help greatfully received as this is all thats stopping me using it now

DAZ

Default Re: TZR help required

This may or may not help, but it is at least some help for the diagnostic technique.

The TZR has a double spark system - both cylinders fire together at twice the required rate. So swapping the plug leads over doesn't change anything. You could in theory still have an ignition system firing on only one cylinder - its the timing that matters, not the connection of the leads.

And you could also have a bad sparking plug - try swapping the plugs over.

Is the power valve system working ok? The motor drives one cyclinder and there is a coupling to the other.

Nick

thanks nick , i've tried new plugs in both cylinders and nothing changes , the power valve aren't being used at present either and have been bolted so they dont move until i get the engine firing properly

i dont know how to check the ignition timing at the moment , sure i can find it somewhere , the guy thats been doing my engine is completely lost now too

thanks again

DAZ

Hi i am new to this hovercarft business.I just bought a rd 350 ypvs if you want i got some electrical testing diagrams so you can try if out email me on cozyhomer@hotmail.com hope it helps.

Oh by the way you maybe able to help me out as well just building my craft at the moment so can you please email me as i dont want to post the questions on post in fear of ridicule thanks from brian.

Hi Daz,

Well let's check the big obvious things first. Can you do a compression test on each cylinder? That would show up problems with, rings, pistons, ports, reed valves ,etc.

You will get some idea turning it over slowly by hand - you should feel 4 small compressions per turn - but you really need a gauge that goes into the plug holes and a starting speed turn to do it properly.

Nick

It's interesting that one side gets hot and the other stays cold. That seems to imply that one side isn't fireing at all and considering what you've already done, swapping carbs, new plugs etc. that's very odd.

Also odd the the revs are good. If one cylinder isn't firing it would etc like a dead weight and the engine wouldn't rev. e.g. when one of the throttle cables snapped on my craft and the slide closed completely, the engine wouldn't pull past 6-7000 RPM.

Could it be that both are fireing but one is way too lean and so is running far too hot? There will be two small connectors, one on each of the rubber that join the carbs to the reed valve cases. These are used to drop oil in when the engine is on the bike. As you'll be using pre-mix fuel/oil both of these should be blocked. If they aren't, the engine can draw air in after the carbs an it will run lean/hot.

It might be worth a check.

Cheers.

Andy.

1. The timing is fixed on a TZR, so that won't be wrong

2. the compressionis Ok on both barrels if both are greater than 100psi

3. Check your reed valves

4. Have you modified the exhaust in any way?