Thread: Build my first hovercraft

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Build my first hovercraft

I'm looking for some guidance on building my first hovercraft.

This has been a life-long obsession, ever since seeing an old documentary featuring the CushionCraft CC-2...

Ideally I'd like somethng to use to go fishing in, the convenience of driving down/up the launching ramp or across the beach is beyond measure!

I've short-listed to the SEVTEC Vanguard and the CANAIR 300/500, the advantages of each being efficiency/load capacity, and precise handling/control-ability respectively.

The original "FanTastic" SEV, the one based on an inflatable boat would also be quite useable, but SEV no longer supply plans for it... Pity, as I have access to a builder of inflatable boats!

As for the hull strength, safety, and co$t/ease of building, well, I don't have a firm opinion at all... so I'm asking the Experts!

ANY comments, pointing in the Right Direction, direct contact etc would be most welcome

Default Re: Build my first hovercraft

I've built two Sevtec craft in the last year - a Scout and a Prospector (see website below). The hulls are very simple to build being made from fibreglass laminated to foam panels which are then bonded together. You would need some mechanical knowledge to be able to get the engine and fan/prop stuff together but it's not that difficult. Most of the smaller Sevs don't even need welded engine/prop mounts - they are simply bolted together from lengths of tube and angle

The costs and build times Sevtec quote on their website are pretty accurate IMHO

As to strength - hovercraft need to be built light to work and therefore do not have the same ultimate strength as a boat hull. If you whack a rock at 20mph in a hovercraft you are almost certain to sustain some hull damage. However, you would have to be very unlucky (or stupid!) to hit a visible object in the first place and, unlike a boat, you don't need to worry about submerged rocks, etc!

Thanks John, - and yes, your web-site IS worth an extended visit, especially your building-logs.

I must admit that I've got a few reservations on the SEV's bag-skirt, especially on rough water... eg, the OCEAN, which has things called "waves" and 'swell'.... either of which might prove embarrasing, especially if one needed to start up and get going in a hurry from floating around aimlessly... Others call it 'Fishing'...

Have you any updates on your SEV's ?

cheers, From sunny West Australia.

Quag.

Seeing as your a Aussie i assume your aware of a couple of Austrailian hovercraft options like the 'Viper' from nell fabrication and the Superwedge from ASV Australia ? I better not promote other forums but if you search for "vichover" in google you'll find a forum that has several Austrailan hover enthusiast in it.

Cheers

The kiwi Hovercraft Geek

lazza

www.hovercraft.geek.nz

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    I must admit that I've got a few reservations on the SEV's bag-skirt, especially on rough water...
    </td></tr></table>

Personally, I'd rather have a bag than a finger skirt on open water. A finger skirt is much more likely to sustain damage on rough water than a bag skirt - not a problem until you lose enough fingers to compromise the cushion. While finger skirts are normally easier to fix you can't just stop and fix them when you are a mile offshore

On the Sev updates - gimme a break - I only got onto water just over a week ago

What?- A whole WEEK and you have'nt been out ???

- Better get out and about before the rising co$t of fuel grounds all of us !!!

Yes, i could put up with the bag-skirt and its drag on the waves.. as long as it stays intact... A good argument for an 'inflatable-based' hovercraft hull, somewhat like a Ron Fishlock design...

Off the topic a bit, but does anyone know what happened to the original 'CushionCraft' CC-2's ? They did a few variants, changing the upper hull structure from metal to fabric, I think.

cheers, From sunny Perth, West Oz.

Quag.