• open to view, members only to post

9 23.68%
  • open forum, as existing

21 55.26%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Members only forum

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Members only forum

I would like to propose that this forum to be members only please, i.e. anybody can view it, but only members can post on it.

Advantages:

1)We can then be sure that we all have the common interests of the club at heart.

2)We can be sure that we know exactly who everybody is, no one can hide behind pseudonyms.

3)All participants would be paying towards the upkeep of the site.

[4) members might renew on time, rather than making me have to send out multiple renewal notices... ]

Disadvantages:

Can't think of any....

Default Re: Members only forum

I agree with a member only post system but vieweing to the general public should also be allowed; so long as there is somewhere for Jo-Random to ask questions about what they have seen the "members" descussing...From experience there is nothing more annoying than reading a forum and wanting to ask a question only to descover that you must be a member to post

And on a different note: when can those of us too lazy to write a cheque pay online?

Hi Louise

disadvantages:

this forum was of great benefit and motivation to me when i started to look into making a craft (well before i became a member)

my biggest concern is a new person thinking of joining / owning a craft won't be able to ask the questions newcomers ask which may dissuade them, they would also perceive us as a 'closed shop'

i'm happy to pay my membership and pay for this board for newcomers to access it - it costs no more whether people are members or not

the forum is well run and moderated (thanks to Andy & now Jamie)and any inappropriate postings are always dealt with promptly

also, it's yet another thing for someone to monitor, manage, amend, update, police and it's hard enough to get volunteers

with great respect

Tony

Louise,

The answer to the concerns raised above may be to just change the way the forums are setup at present. The General forum could be available to non-members and the other forums made members only.

If we have members only formus I would expect (or insist!) that the any club committee meeting minutes are fully published (or even hold the meeting in a read-only club forum) in an attempt to directly involve ordinary members in the running of the club. In addition, I would also expect that nominations and appointments to committees are made by polling the entire club membership via the forum (just like this poll) - or is that too democratic

As has been amply demonstrated, the forums are an excellent way to communicate - they should be fully exploited to make the club run better.

Just out of interest the US club forum is a members only forum for posting, and any body seriously interested in hovercraft pays their membership fee to get the benefits of asking the members questions.

I don't agree with using the forums to officially poll the membership on club matters part. The way a democracy works is to elect a body to make the decisions. The more people you have involved in the decisions the longer it takes to make a decision and then nothing ever gets done. If anybody wants to be more involved in the running of the club they can stand for a committee, or even just bother to vote for the committee members, proxy votes are available.

I have included a poll on this post for my own interest, and if the poll agrees with me then I will take a proposal to the relevant committee and follow the formal channels of communication.

Regarding Tonys points, they are fair enough, but I really would like to find a way of stopping the sort of "negative mud slinging and general nastiness" (to quote another member who emailed me privately!) that is going on on parts of this bulletin board at present. In this particular case my suggestion would have avoided it.

Regarding online membership payment, we have to research the correct membership based shop software to use which is not as simple a task at it would appear to be. A couple of us have been spending time on this over the last 2 years, however other jobs have higher priorities I'm afraid.

I think thats an excellent idea - i vote for a closed forum for club matters.

As you say lou, if folks want to be involved in club discussions, then they should pay their money to join. I have no problem with having the club support open forums for new enthusiasts to ask questions etc, but club discussions should be kept behind close doors.

Louise,

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    The way a democracy works is to elect a body to make the decisions
    </td></tr></table>

I would have to disagreee with that statement - electing people to make decisions for the voters is just a logistical solution to the problem of allowing everyone a vote. This is the 21st century - there is no longer any logical reason why every member cannot vote on every issue (if it can be managed by the TV industry surely it can't be beyond the HCGB?).

On the subject of proxy votes - I (and probably a lot of others) was completley unaware that there was such a system in the club (otherwise I would have used it!). In fact, the AGM literature specifies that only members present at the AGM can cast a vote.

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    A ballot will take place at the AGM...... and is carried out by members at the meeting.

</td></tr></table>

Please tell me how the proxy system works for council and committee voting.

I cannot agree, John. I could spend the next week explaining myself further, but I do not feel that it would be constructive.

As for proxy votes, valid only for the AGM, all you have to do is contact the HCGB Secretary, plenty in advance, who will send you a form, which effectively gives another attending member your vote.