Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hole lot of steeling going on,

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default hole lot of steeling going on,

With all this hovercraft-steeling going on,

I got ta thinking what would happen if my craft were to be stolen, I would be well gutted.

How would I ever get it back, or even prove it was mine to start with, but If it did turn up on a beach or at a club meeting.

I am sure most of you know what a data tag is and data tagging entails, how many you get in a bottle and how cheep it is and could be if we all subscribe to it.

It could be part of the craft registration/ log book scheme, each tag or tags on each craft would be shown on its log book, and recorded in a club data base.

It doesnít even need to be a unique code for each craft the positions of the tags and id numbers, type of craft and so on

Are on the log book and on a register with the club, and we all know our own craft no matter what colour it is.

The club would have the means to prove a registered craft is or is not registered as stolen.

if you own a hovercraft then Thatís got to be an other good reason for being a member of the club.

Default Re: hole lot of steeling going on,

To be honest a data tag is only usefull if you can actualy find the thing in the first place...

What you need is a cheap GRPS phone and a bit of software so you can text the phone and it replies with its sattelite grid refferance...If you built this as a standalone box inside the ECU of the engine or hide it in the hull.....

Dunc

Default Re: hole lot of steeling going on,

Ive actually designed a GPS system that u connect to a cheap old style mobile phone that you leave in the craft. You then call the phone and it will text you back the GPS location within 1 metere. I was hoping to add this to my hover.

Once i get rid of some of the glitches of it(like it randomly texts you when u get a free ad thing which burns a hole in my pocket ) i will be happy to show ya all how to make one or u can buy one off me.

As to all this hovercraft stealing, can you add some simple theft devices such as padlocking the trailer to the wall, mind if you forget to unlock it when u drive off it could be a cheap demolition of your house .

Hope no one else gets in this situ in the fisrt place

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: whole lot of stealing going on,

What about using an Interweb GSM tracking service with a "pay as you go" SIM and an elderly phone hidden in the craft?

You will only need to use the service, if said craft gets lifted.

Keith

is all sounds lovely but there seems to be 1 downfall ..........what happens if the phone battery runs out ??? we all know the battery life isnt brill on a phone these days

just a thought

DAZ

I have several theories, but will not bore you with, then.

Do you guys have garages there?

The lock and chain idea is also very good.

Remove one wheel.

Snakes seen to work well, unless you get bitten that is.

Tracker, the same as the systems fitted to cars.

Build a towhook into a wall, most towbars can lock.

Park out of sight.

Cover it.

And the best of all, build a c**ppy looking craft, that way no one will want to steal it, like me.

OH one more, move to a country where there are only 3-5 craft.

You know for a first world country you guys aught to be ontop of these things, realy////

Well i have to admit , Atters has the first part of the argument right. If we dont wanna get stung be proactive.

As to the gsm tracking it can also be used but isnt as accurate, but who cares as Daz says the battery will run out before you want to start tracking it and you need to buy it, get it working, connect it up.

Why dont you just take simple steps as Atters mentioned in the FIRST part of this post.

Nick

Yep, Atters is right.

It took 10 mins to take both wheels off and leave the trailer on stands, bit of a pain with my knees but worth it.

As to phone power, Maplin do a solar phone charger and a decent 12v battery could be used to keep a phone ticking over for a month.

Has anyone had a go with a GSM tracking service though? How accurate are they?

Keith