Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skirt problems...

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Skirt problems...

can anyone help?

went out for the first time ever today after spending months refurbing the craft... it went ok, apart from the steering linkage coming adrift and some blowing from a group of skirt segments.

It appeared as if air was blowing out (from all the spray) from about 4 or 5 segments. they are fixed at the bottom with a tyrap and a platic strip all round the hull at the top.

should the segment be tight against the hull or should there be a given amount of play?

any help most welcome on setting up the segments. it should have 8 in clearance but was very poor on short lumpy grass leading to the shore.

have attached a photo showing place of use.

thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Skirt problems...

Is most of the spray coming from the back?,

Do you have chipbag (closed segments)at the back or a drag flap even both?

From what i know the skirt should be up to the hull as tight as possible, i have built a modified challenger and one of the biggest mods was to get the skirt to actually fit the hover's planing surfaces tight which i did my shortening the skirt attach tabs and having short cable ties. It should increase the skirt pressure and therefore make the digging in the water less (i have a feeling im gunna be corrected on that)creating less spray.

Its alwase worth having a go both ways if you have the time?

If you have no chipbags that could be the problem, but if it its a restored craft i would think that it was originally designed to have them at a guess!

Regards

Nick

nick,

thanks for all of that.

the spray seems to be mainly on the forward quarter on one side, i didnt notice the back as i had more pressing matters trying to steer! (the wife however said the spray only seemed about the front)

it has a drag flap fitted, what do you mean by a chip bag?

sorry new to this so not familiar with all the terms.

i had all the segments off and they all appeared identical, they all appear bag like with 3 sides if i remember.

also when putting the skirt back together i noticed only a few segments were tight on the hull the majority are loose ... maybe this is the problem?

thanks again

dave

Hi

The tightness of the skirt on the hull is not too critical if your skirt does not have inner bags. The pressure of the skirt will NOT be effected by the fit of the skirt against the hull.

What is more critical is the contact point, that is the point at which the skirt touches the ground at full lift. If this point is in the wrong place it will effect handling.

A chipbag is a rear seggy with a built in drag flap to stop the skirt scooping up water.

If the spray is isolated to one area, I would think those seggys are damaged or worn. If there is alot of spray and the craft hovers level then it might be a case of too much lift. Try backing off the throttle when the spray appears, you won't lose too much speed and it will reduce noise and fuel consumption to.

I hope this helps?

Nick, I also have the modified challenger and you are 100% on the money with making the skirt fit tight against the hull, it realy did'nt hover very well with them plapping around like it did hey?

I also agree with you on the skirt being worn or not at equal length to the others as from the pic it looks like just the front four on the left by the driver are shorter, or maybe too tight against the hull and the others are loose.

Just one of the little things in life that keep us all tinkering with the craft to make them better.

I did notice that the grass looks long, my craft also struggles in long thick grass and I am shure that is y the ride down was not smooth and the craft struggled just a little.

thanks for all the help there.

i will check segments all all mounted the same length and tighten them all close to the hull, at least that way all are the same....

thank you

dave

Let us know what happens.

Hi Dave,

A chip bag is a variation on the standard open segment. The modification is to improve the segments performance at the rear of the craft. An extra flap of fabric is sewn into the segment to prevent water rushing in when the craft is not on full cushion over water.

[img]index.php?t=getfile&id=249&private=0[/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images