Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kohler Problem

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Kohler Problem

Help!!!!

F25 Kohler

The perishing thing has dumped all its oil into the bottom of the craft. This happened at Hover-in and had not flown far, 15 meters or so and was soon stopped. Good compression on both cylinders. Could it be the crank shaft oil seal? Some one said they have a history of this, can anyone confirm this?

If not, what do I look for? any hints? ( yes I know,....look for lots of oil coming out,.... Der)

Its a relatively new engine only done about 30 hrs in the craft, maybe 20 before it came to us in an agricultural use.

Info would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Keith

Default Re: Kohler Problem

Sorry Keith,

never seen this on a Kohler.

Try to refill oil, remove engine from craft, put it over a big bowl, and make a test run on idle position.

Ask Keith ( Smallwood, the other one ) if he has had similar problem once.

Just how much oil has it lost? The level shouldn't be all that far above the seal. Where is the engine oily?

Try pressurisingthe crank via the rebreather and listening for a hiss/watching for the leak.

Basically the engine has dumped all its oil, i don't think there is much left inside the engine to be honest. There was a good inch and a half of oil in the bottom of the craft!!

The fan did a good job of spraying and sucking the oil everywhere, but from what i could muster it looked like the oil had started to leak from a central position due to the spray effects created by the fan, in that the oil spread from the bottom of the fan and worked its way round instead of starting from one side or whatever. However, the oil was warm so obviously would have sunk to the lowest point very quickly, due to this it was difficult to ascertain exactly where the engine was most oily because there was just oil everywhere where it was dripping down to the lowest point!!

It is weird because the engine was not struggling or hot, it literally just randomly dumped all its oil.

I agree with Keith that it is probably the oil seal, however it occured to me driving home that it could be either a) the oil sump plug is loose or b) the oil pump and filter are fecked as both of these are in the general vicinity.

I would firstly check that the sump plug is tight and all oil hoses/oil filter, radiator and gaskets are good and then fill the engine back up with oil, see if any comes out without being under pressure, if not then start the engine and then try and find the leak.

Graham

Honoury Engineer in Bearwood Hovercraft team!!

That's one David's going to LOVE!

Lol yeh...i quite like the title tho, maybe i should appoint myself honoury chief engineer just to peeve of George too!!

Graham

ooooh. I can see the furrowed brow now.

Are you in BW tomorrow?

Lol! Its gotta be done...

It would be funny right up to the point where the fist comes flying through the air and comes into contact with my nose with the words "b**g*r of" behind it!!

Maybe i should leave poor George alone, he already thinks I am gay and coming on to him!

Yes, anyway sorry to hijack the thread, back to the Fecking 25!

Graham