Thread: engine and design questions

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default engine and design questions

Hello. I'm new. I came here because I'm out to build a rather inexpensive hobby hovercraft. I've scavenged a 5hp Briggs and Stratton engine from a lawn mower that will soon work after a friend of mine does some work on it. I'm aiming on making a single person craft. I've seen stuff online that says that a lawn mower engine is powerful enough for lift and propulsion. Is that true?

I have a few engineering questions, too. What the recommended way to use the engine to get air into the cushion? Fan blades or what? Keep in mind I'm talking cheap. Vacuum cleaner parts? Also, if I were to do a single engine design, how would I split the power between the thrust fan and the levitation fan?

I sure could use some guidance.

Default Re: engine and design questions

Welcome to this crazy and rather silly hobby

I strongly recomend you join the club and buy the constructors guide, this talks you through all aspects of design and construction and should answer most of the questions you have.

To get some idea of what other people have used look though the catalogue here www.kmproducts.co.uk and also have a look at the links page on the HCGB webpage at other peoples craft.

Good luck.

Dunc

The reason I'm posting rather than buying plans and such is to keep costs down. I'm just building a really basic one-seater with ply-wood and plastic.

I had the same idea when I started my first craft but soon realised that if you are unwilling to pay for plans and literature that will help you, you are most likley to spend a lot more money on something that dosesnt work too well, if atall. (unless of course you are a hovercraft design god!)

IMHO the cheapest way to get a decent hovercraft is to buy a heavily used one and rebuild it...that way you will get a lot of experience, and end up with something that works, is safe and will give you alot of fun (plus it might even be salable at the end of it all!)... This is how I did my first craft after looking at building one from scratch...Cost me 550 total, and I ended up with an almost brand new craft...

Jay,

I think it's great that you want to build a craft!

BUT. Hovercraft are far more sophisticated than most newcomers think. You will need to spend a bit of money.

Buy the constructors guide. It explains everything you need to know about hovercraft, it's brilliantly written so it's easy to understand, and it will save you loads of money and wasted effort.

Good luck!

Richard E.

hey, im in the same position as you!sheet of plywood and something for the skirt, but i need to find aa skirt pattern or something Goodluck!

Jon and Blue you should get together and pool your resources as 5hp will lift a small craft and another 5hp would give you some thrust but not a lot it should move on a smooth surface like concrete etc. I think you are both heading down the same bad path and are going to finish up with a lot of wasted time and you will be very dissopointed with the results.There are some very cheap plans on the Universal Hovercraft site for a single seater like 12 or plans for a 10x5 craft also for 12 a small price to pay for something that has been proven to work although I think you may find the speeds a little exaggerated they may mean KMH instead of MPH lol.