Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keeping your cool

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Keeping your cool

Quote Originally Posted by Don83000
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Hovertrekker wrote on Thu, 20 July 2006 01&#58;18</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    No. It just keeps things from freezing!

Sorry Dave but you are wrong I quote from a "Instructor of Chemistry with loads of letters after his name"

Ethylene Glycol is an organic liquid called anti-freeze which is added to water to make an aqueous solution of Ethylene Glycol and water. This is to prevent water in the radiator of the vehicle from boiling over. It elevates the boiling point of water. At the same time, anti-freeze will depress the freezing point of that same water to prevent freeze up in the winter, hence the name of the solution, "anti-freeze". This ability for a solute to elevate the boiling point and depress the freezing point of the solvent is the focus of this page.

And he goes on to say that the elevation in the boiling point runs linear to the % mix of the anti-freeze.

</td></tr></table>

Hey prof! I know we've been through this before - and I'm just pulling your chain here but try this: Fill your radiator with 100% ethylene glycol, then 50/50 mix anti-freeeze/water, then 100% water and tell me which one runs coolest.

If your thermostat is working properly and you have a good radiator the engine will all run at exactly the same temperature in all cases

I have to say I'm pretty sceptical of 'wonder' products like this. If they are so good then why aren't car manufacturers using them (just think of the weight saving - smaller rad, etc)?

Yank all you like but I think you are missing the point he is not saying your engine will run cooler but what I think he is saying is that the mixture in the rad can reach a higher temperature the more anti freeze there is in the mixture before the onset of boiling occurs or at least this is the assumption I would make from what he says but then again I am only a mere mortal not a scientist.

Would it not be fair to say though that if the engine temp is running that close to boiling that rather than mess with chemicals it would be more practical to fit a more efficient radiator or move the one you have to a better place.