Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuel Tanks

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: Fuel Tanks

Would this method work to make a fan duct?

Also, will the tape not react to the resin and stretch and stuff?

My guess is that you'd be better off making a foam duct and covering it with composite, leaving the foam inside. There is a website somewhere (can't find the link at the moment) that shows how to do this quite easily. It might work as described if you wanted to make a one-off duct interior mould, though you wouldn't need to melt the polystyrene out I wouldn't have thought.

Epoxy resin doesn't contain solvents, so doesn't have any effect on the tape or the foam at all. It doesn't stick to parcel tape either, so no release agent is needed.

This method won't work with polyester/vinylester resins though, as they do attack the adhesive on the tape, making it go wrinkly. Also, these resins will attack polystyrene foam, so it's likely that the mould will melt or distort, just from the vapour that gets through the tape.

I made a complex inlet manifold once, by carving foam to the required shape. I added bonded in alloy stubs to take the rubber connecting hoses. Here's a picture of the manifold on the back of a BMW R series engine. It's not too clear, but it's the black thing with the throttle body on (this was a conversion of an R100 to dual redundant fuel injection for an aircraft):

Jeremy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nick,

I made a fuel tank using West System Epoxy using the method described by Jeremy, as Aluminium welding is beyond my garage skills and learning how to work with composites would be more useful. It was my first foray with composites, and I haven't blown up yet.

I made an expanded polystyrene plug to fit loosely in the fuel tank cavity, including a sump, then covered it in packing tape. I chopped it up into 3 separate parts to build in baffles. I used an Aluminium plate for services such as filler cap, expansion and fuel feed, which has been bolted down using a proper gasket and gasket compound.

I used peel ply to keep a rough surface for fixing in the hull after the whole lot had set. I used a filler to thicken up the resin, talk to your supplier for the best one as I cannot remember which one I used off the cuff.

Get decent breathing gear.

Keith