View Poll Results: How often should the worlds take place?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave it alone, every two years

30 76.92%
  • Every three years, i need more time and money

5 12.82%
  • Every four years, its good enough for football.

4 10.26%
  • Every 5 years, it's a pain!

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How often should the world championships take place?

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default How often should the world championships take place?

Following some discussions on this years raid, it seems that there's certainly a school of thought saying that the worlds are too frequent.

Cost seems to be the big issue, followed by problems getting time off from work. For me, the issue centers around the effect on other events in World Champ years, which always seem a little thin.

So, please cast a vote, i'm going to compose a proposal to the WHF suggesting four years would be more realistic ( i understand we're short of people fighting for 2008 and may end up in mombassa or somewhere!)

Football, the biggest sport in the world only hold the world cup every 4 years, would that be the right period for us? (one of the smallest sports in the world!)

I'b be really interested in any opinions you'd liek to air, but if not, just click the button that suits YOU best. Its compeltely anonymous!

Regards

Russ

Default Re: How often should the world championships take place?

With you all the way on this one Russ.

I have been singing this song for years.

Two years is much too disruptive to National calendars. I have long felt it dilutes attendance away from other events, especially when craft get locked up in trailers for up to 6 weeks before and after the event.

I know the Worlds are rightly very popular but how many of us can afford the time and the money every 2 years.

We all have many other priorities in life.

Kip

My opinion is leave it as it is

We are fortunate in the UK that we have plenty of race meetings to get involved in, but other contries do not have this luxury, so would it be worth there while building a competitive craft for an event that comes around once every 3 or 4 years? no it wouldn`t.

This would lead to some of the less represented countries not attending, this would then devalue it as being a true WORLD event, this would then cause people like myself not to bother.

I`m not saying the world championship should be more often than now but to attract people to compete you need more events not less, the parallel to this is when a British branch stops having a race meeting in their area the branch membership drops rapidly, as happened with the Chilterns branch until we got Claydon, now we regularly have 18-20 members every meeting.

To safguard the diverse entrants to the world, please leave it as it is.

Tony Goldney

Good points Tony, but playing devils advocate, the flip side is that as the majority of Worlds are held in europe, it must be a worse strain on the aussies/americans etc to get across the pond or halfway round the world every two years. Maybe if it were les sfrequent, there would be more able to afford it?

Just thinking aloud but as i write this, the majority certainly seems to feel 3 or four years is more desirable (not that 20 odd votes is a true opinion!)

Come on folks, 200 odd members, 20 votes!

Increasing the space between World Championships will

affect juniors, since they will only have one chance of racing on the world circuit before they are too old.

How much difference is there in the cost of going to the Worlds compared to any other good holiday?

Will there be the danger if isolation of enthusiasts since we shall only meet at longer time intervals if the present situation is changed?

You've still got Nationals and European championships.....

Precisely!! It costs as much,if not more than a good family holiday. So every 2 years. Sorry kids we are going to the Worlds. Repeat, A question of family priorities.

Kip

I may well have a difference of opinion because the whole of my family are involved in this sport.