Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hovercraft Advice

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Hovercraft Advice

Hi Everyone, this is my first post!

Myself and some friends have just bought a Vortex 1-man hovercraft hull which we intend to get up and running. There are a number of things that need to be done, and just getting started with these things, it would be great if anyone could offer relevant advice in what we are trying to achieve. At the moment, our goal is to get the craft working, we are not intending, at least short term, to race it. With the engine we have got, it is not an option anyway (see below...)

Here are the things we need to do:

1. The hull has a number of cracks and dents in it, and seems to be held together with pop-rivets. One of the first things we would like to do is repair the cracks and holes, and strenghten it in certain places. Does anyone have any suggestions for material to use to achieve this?

2. We have a Robin EC25PS engine which we intend to use. I am happy tinkering with the engine, but does anyone have any manuals or tech info. for these engines? Has anyone used these and can offer advice?

3. We need a fan, where do people buy these from? how many blades work best, or is this a bit of a pandora's box?

4. The skirt needs reparing in places, does anyone know what types of material works best and where do you get this material from? This might be a silly question, but can the skirt be sewn together using a sewing machine? i.e. by my mum?

Any advice would be greatfully received. I will post some pics online at some point too, so you can see what we've let ourselves in for...

Best Wishes,

Dylan

Default Re: Hovercraft Advice

Hi Dylan,

1. If the hull is fibreglass which is what im guessing it is or wood, chop strand matt (CSM) and polyester resin would be the way to go, theres alot of info on the internet about it and im sure any yauht repair store would be more than happy to help you and give you advice, or you can ask people on this forum.

3. The fans most people use are the multiwing 5z or 4z, they can be purchased from k and m products:

http://www.kmproducts.co.uk/

They are rather pricy and if you are starting from scratch it might be worth using hasconwing insted of multiwing, they are basically identical but hasconwing are alot cheaper and can be purchased from conair sports:

http://www.conairsports.co.uk/

4. The material most commonly used for both segmented and one piece bag skirts is neoprene coted nylon, it can be again purchased from k and m products, kan who is the propiotor is a very helpful chap and will give you sound advice if you need it. The skirt is best done using a sewing machine there was a recent topic on it on this forum; a summary would include saying a normal sewing machine would be up for the job, use denim needles as they are alot stronger and wont break while sewing, also some form of non-rot and stron thread must be used again k&M will supply.

Good luck,

some pics would be good

Nick

For info on Vortex and skirt material try the guy that designed your craft and still produces them you will find him very helpful

information@vortex.org.uk

or telephone 0779 3807073

For a engine manual follow this link

http://blackice.com.au/av8/robin/

The hull sounds like my first craft.....Held together with pop rivets, patched up with cancerous lump type blobs of fibreglass and resin and badly cracked around the top where the airfeed holes are like a stamp being torn out of a stamp book.

What I did with that hull was to grind off all of the old running repairs and patches and take it back right to the origional hull...In places some really large holes opened up....

I then used appropriate techniques to fill in the holes, strengthen it all up, put a new bottom on the hull and then painted it...at this point I had a "new" hull and proceeded to bolt the other bits onto it...

There are a couple of pics on the past projects page on my website...www.tegwin.demon.co.uk

I got all my parts from www.kmproducts.co.uk Ken is friendly enough but doesnt use credit cards which means things are not amazingly fast.

Regarding the fan, no doubt someone will be able to help you do the math for that.

For the skirt, If you have an old segment, undo the stiches and draw around it on a piece of hardboard. Cut out the hardboard and drill holes in the hardboard where fold/stich limes are going to be, you can then use the hardboard to make as many identical semgnets as you like...Making the skirt is a boring job, but keep at it

Good luck, should be a fun project.

Dunc

Hi, some of the best help is usually found by finding members in your local area, so let us know where you are and perhaps there is someone not so far from you who you can contact for lots of help and advice!

If it is a vortex, it has probably passed through my hands at some stage. Does it have a number on it or what colour is it, and can you post some pics of it. As David (Iceman) says the best advice will come from an experienced person in your area who can actually see it. Does it have any running gear in it, or is it a bare hull. As far as the engine goes, the ec25ps should give you about 20Hp depending on how knackered it is. I have some parts for that engine depending on what it needs. The boss (Keith Smallwood at vortex) is away at the moment, so you won't get an answer from him at the mo.

The bag skirt is PVC coated nylon, not neoprene as above. Depending on its vintage, it will have diolen it it, so structually it shouldn't have any major holes.

Jamie (Storm Hovercraft)

Hi Guys, thanks for all the info so far.

/Jamie - I have uploaded a photo of the hull we bought. The engine seems pretty much complete, but I am unsure whether the exhaust is the original one or not. I looks like it has been mended a time or two (I guess cracks in these things are common). Once I've had chance to turn the engine over and check its running, I'll let you know if we are in any need of replacement parts, cheers.

/Dunc - Yes, this is what I was hoping I could do re: the skirt, or, more precisely, what I was hoping my mum could do

We live in Ulverston, south Cumbria. If there is anyone in the area who would be available to give a bit of advice or even come have a look at it, that would be fantastic! The beaches here are awesome, I can't wait to get out there!

One of my colleagues mentioned something about a hovercraft race meeting in september in (southport?) Do you guys know anything about this? It would be good to go and sneak a few ideas...

Cheers to all,

Dylan

Attached Images Attached Images

I think I'v seen that craft before, maybe someone else can remember it, and if so then it has been raced, so the exhaust is most probebly not original but I type under correction.