Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tip and splitter clearance

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Re: tip and splitter clearance

What is that blue stuff?

I am looking for something like that to chuck between my fan and duct as the clearance is no as I would like it.

Can you fibreglass over it?

The blue stuff is a compressible foam wich is almost impossible to glue to. It's called "Sill Sealer" or sill plate sealer.

This is an experiment which I will probably have to remove with mineral spirits.

So far I have experienced sucking forces which result in the material being lifted up and cut by the fan.

Also in areas outside the fan any debris entering the duct or exiting the duct takes out small chucks of foam with it as it has no impact or tearing resistance.

I don't know if it's my imagination, but it seems a lot more quite at idle, no different at full rpm's unfortunately.

Don't try this at home folks.

It's just a learning curve us slow folks are on.

EDIT: This topic (clearence) came up before, see link below

http://hovercraft.org.uk/FUDforum2/i...hp?t=msg&th=53 4&start=0&S=0f084326bf15cf5c9a8d58059fe6fa52

<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td class="SmallText">Quote:</td></tr><tr><td class="quote">
    i reckon 10-13mm is a sensible clearance if you're not concerned about peformance, any more and you are throwing air away needlessley

any system that deflects more than that needs to be more rigid

splitter gap will benefit from being close, blades will deflect forwards under load and don't spring back noticably during deceleration - a 50mm gap is safe enough again without compromising things dramatically

this is just my opinion based on my experience others will differ - take what everyone says and then make your own mind up

good luck

Tony
    </td></tr></table>

tony,

i originally did ask the question and raise that topic but ...

after making a new engine mount and reshaping the duct to make it 'more round' i found my clearances a bit more stingy than i had hoped for. increasing the clearances means a fair more amount of work so was just asking if what i ended up with would be ok (to get more clearance means stripping everything out and unfortunately the grill forms part of structure shaping the duct and everytime i remove it things change slightly hence hoping to stick with what i've got)

cheers

dave