Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double points for last race meeting

Less than 10 posts so far! USER IS NOT AVAILABLE

Default Double points for last race meeting

I want to know others views on the 'double points for the last race meeting' rule

It's intention as far as i can see is to get people to turn up for the last race of the season, but i have a fear it may well skew results and not be a true reflection of the season

i.e. i'm 77 points behind Nick Long, way behind - if he has a bad meeting like he did at Whittlesey when Metzener took his duct off in practice, and i score as many measley points as i did last weekend i'd come 2nd in the championship when Nick has clearly been the 2nd place man all season

it may also skew things in the opposite direction - looking at other formulas things are very close

i'd like other opinions please

tony

Default Re: Double points for last race meeting

Quote Originally Posted by tonybroad
    when Metzener took his duct off in practice...

..when Nick has clearly been the 2nd place man all season

Ahem. To be fair to Michael Metzner, the incident was not really his fault; I forgot that practice was longer than a race and stupidly ran out of fuel. One moment I was wondering why my engine had lost power, next second the whole world turned yellow.

As for the second point, I understand that you are making a point about 2nd & 3rd places but up until that incident I was actually in 1st place in the championship.

Anyway, I thought the double points last race meeting was not happening until 2007. Maybe by then it will have been reconsidered.

Nick

I guess you had better hope that Nick has a bad meeting then!!

from the rule book - d) All meetings will count towards the National Championship in each Formula. The

last race meeting of 2006 will attract double points.

p.s. - i wasn't having a dig Nick, just illustrating the point that someone with a large points differential may well see it disappear

Tony

Tony,

Technically I could almost beat you in one meeting. Surely a fairer method would be to take the top six sets of points as your placing for the year. It would lessen the impact of one bad meeting or one set of double points.

Chris

the problem with dropping a set of results is that does lead to people missing events

i think the solution is the one next year where you don't total every point you score but score points for 1st overall (25 points) 2nd (20 points)etc. for each race meeting

this makes everything closer all year with a good chance of positions to play for at the last meeting so no need to double points to attract people

Tony

Tony,

That sounds like a better idea. I now have to hope that consistent finishing at each meeting will pay off.

I think the main reason for the double points was to make the last race meeting more interesting so that none of the championships are decided before it takes place. If different things are not tried we will never know. Lets see what happens if we don't enjoy we can always change.!! You must write your views to comps otherwise how do we know them, and things will stay the same.